GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What are the benefits of a Catch Can?

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
The TSI doesnt produce nearly the amount of vapors that the FSI.

You dont NEED one, but I would recommend it. I love knowing my engine is clean from oil vapors!! Just make sure you clean it out every now and then.

Also, get a recirc can. Vent to Atmosphere is too smelly.

mylesw42

Ready to race!
Prevent all this good stuff from caking on your intake valves. This is after 1800km. BSH VTA catch can.

Last edited:

Mike@Forge

Go Kart Champion
I just did the final test fitment of our TSI kit yesterday, so we're making one last round of changes and then putting it into production.

It will be the ONLY kit on the market for the TSI engine that completely bypasses the stock PCV assembly, and incorporates the tank. The kit will require complete removal of the noise pipe to make room for the tank, but most of you are doing that anyway, though we will offer a plug option.

While the TSI motors do have less of a issue with blow-by compared to the FSI motors, it is still present, and anything that you can do to remove the blow-by vapors will help to limit the carbon buildup on your intake valves, and just in general, keep the system clean.

(production kit will have all black hoses)

quarantine

Ready to race!
here's a question for you.......why doesn't the manufacturer put a catch can in there in the first place?

Cybe

GolfMK5 Graduate
Because it'd either vent to air (tossing their emissions compliance) or drivers would have to empty it -- which wouldn't happen, and it'd eventually get slurped into the engine, causing a failure.

pvivino

Ready to race!
I just did the final test fitment of our TSI kit yesterday, so we're making one last round of changes and then putting it into production.

Looks very nice. Will the engine cover still fit on? Not that big of a deal either way but looks better on.

Mike@Forge

Go Kart Champion
Looks very nice. Will the engine cover still fit on? Not that big of a deal either way but looks better on.

It may require a small relief hole be cut into it for the hose to pass through depending on where the hose is routed, but yes, it should fit. The custom plate on the top of the motor even has a special post to support the cover since the stock PCV assembly is what supports the front right corner of the cover.

DvS21

Ready to race!
What catchcan set ups are available for out TSI motors, I'm thinking this might be a worthwhile investment.

EDIT: Also, Mike@Forge, what's going on with the Twintake for the Mk6? i\Is that out yet man?

Last edited:

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
BSH has some pretty good choices, besides Forge

Mike@Forge

Go Kart Champion
What catchcan set ups are available for out TSI motors, I'm thinking this might be a worthwhile investment.

EDIT: Also, Mike@Forge, what's going on with the Twintake for the Mk6? i\Is that out yet man?

The MK6 TWINtake was also just finished on Monday actually, as we had to verify fitment of the side inlet scoop behind the headlight. It too is now ready for production. :thumbup:

Ths BSH kit is the only current catch tank option available for the TSI engines, but it still keeps the stock PCV system in place, only redirecting the flow of gases from it. Our kit bypasses the stock system entirely with a custom plate that I designed. :cool:

saucer

Leadfoot
Hey Mike, any plans for a TDI can or is it not really necessary on these newer CR diesels?