GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Lightweight battery relocated to hatch

graveshb

Go Kart Champion
Preemptively I want to say that I have not completed this, and do not have long term proof that a battery this small with ~20 foot of 4 gauge wire will have the power to start my car in all or even most conditions. I PMd a forum member who runs the same battery in the stock location (albeit in pittsburgh) and he said that he strongly advised against relocating it to the trunk for fear that the battery with only 325 CCA would not be sufficient over the ~20ft of wire. I live in north Florida and I’m willing to try this given our climate. If this set up does not suffice in the colder months, or if I feel that it is not cranking quickly enough, I will look into getting a more powerful battery that still sits flush under the false floor in the hatch, or I will move this battery to the stock location.

Being a five year old at heart, I fixate on ideas I come up with that are typically unpractical, or at least on the silly and not worth it side of implementable. I am very much fascinated with trying to make my car handle as well as it can. Though the fact that I've never had upgraded suspension components on any of my previous cars allows me to be overly impressed with the stock suspension on the mk6 with only an SPM rear sway bar set to the hardest setting. In the quest to make my car handle better on a tight budget, I came across a few threads in the tracking subforum talking about replacing the stock battery with a lightweight one from either braille or deka.

Deka battery thread:

Braille battery thread:

These threads praised the lightweight battery for making the car feel much more nimble, or quick to turn in. While everyone seemed to love the lightweight battery in the stock location, the general consensus on the forums was that it would be difficult and probably not worth the effort to relocate a battery to the trunk. Obviously I couldn't help myself, and decided that if everyone seemed impressed with the results of removing the stock ~36-38lb battery and putting back ~15-17lbs of that weight in the same spot, then the results of removing all of that weight and putting the ~15-17lbs of weight in the trunk would be twice as good.

I looked around on golfmkv.com since I couldn’t find anything on here, and found a few hatch relocations, but nothing that looked clean IMO. This being what I considered to be the cleanest, and yet not clean enough, relocation on the mkv forum Link. I wanted to do my relocation without cutting a whole in the false floor, so that it looked stock unless the false floor was lifted.

I bought the battery here: Deka Battery for $95 shipped since I had to pay sales tax.

I decided in my quest for better balance, that since I was relocating the battery to the trunk, I would place it on the passenger side and as far back as possible. Probably not a great idea in the case of a rear impact but oh well. The battery is completely sealed and is capable of use in motorcycles, atvs, and jet skis, so I have no concerns with running it on its side in my trunk. With it placed on its side and where I have it, the oem false floor is pushed up but only slightly where the battery sits (probably less than a 1/16 of an inch)

DIY: >>>>>> (DO AT YOUR OWN RISK)

The supplies:

Deka battery [URL="www.etx16l.com”]bought here[/URL]

25’ of 4 gauge wire [URL="www.ebay.com/itm/25-ft-4-Gauge-RED-Car-Audio-Power-Ground-Wire-Cable-AWG-25-Feet-Fast-Free-Ship-/390551479343?_trksid=p2054897.l4276”]bought here[/URL] (2 gauge would have been better and if I have any troubles with the 4 gauge I will update this thread and replace it.)

4 crimp on 4 gauge wire ends with 1/4 inch holes to bolt to battery bought locally

heat shrink to cover the crimp on wire ends bought locally

1 8mm by 100 thread nut to ground the negative line off the battery bought locally (I couldn't find a nylon locking nut but I will and will replace the current one.)

1 8mm washer for more contact on the negative ground connection. bought locally

Approximately 1 foot of 3/32ths stainless steel rod, to create battery tie down, or any way you see fit.

2 1/4 20 inch long machine screws I used to attach the battery tie down (I had to drill and tap the holes so...)

Procedure

I decided the best way to attach the wire to the stock positive terminal clamp was to use a standard wire end with a hole in it, and position it in between the gap of the stock terminal clamp. I could've cut the wires and spliced them to get rid of the stock terminal clamp and clean up the look a bit better, but I wanted to be able to easily revert back to stock.

Stock terminal clamp clamped onto 4 gauge wire end. (I currently have this entire set up covered in a ton of electrical tape, but plan on coming up with a better solution, and will update when I do.)

I routed the wire through the firewall. I located a rubber grommet with wires running through it that is directly to the left of the drivers side strut tower. I cut a small incision in the grommet and then used a wooden stick taped to the end of the wire to poke it through the hole.

Wire running through firewall from engine bay:

Wire running through firewall from drivers footwell:

Then I ran the wire underneath the dead pedal, and alongside the door sills. I pulled the plastic piece up then peeled the carpet and sound deadening back in order to hide the wire.

Carpet and sound deadening pulled back to show path of wire:

Wire being pushed in along the door:

Wire routed from door sill up to the rear seat:

Wire routed up to parallel the rear seat backs:

After running the wire behind the rear seat and in between the styrofoam, I followed the passenger side of the hatch and circled around to where the battery sits.

Wire routed along rear seat and back towards the bumper

Wire routed along hatch, and negative wire attached to post. (this post was already there and was a good place to ground the negative wire to.)

Hole I cut out of the bottom of the styrofoam piece. (I made the hole very tight on the battery and as such the battery doesn't move around at all. I am contemplating adding a bracket or strap to hold the battery down better, but for now I'm going to leave it like this.)

Hole I cut out of the bottom as well as the hole I cut to run the wires through

Battery as it sits now

Battery with stainless rod tie down.

This picture better shows how I made the bracket, by bending the stainless rod with vice grips, and then I used stainless 1/4 20 machine bolts to thread into the holes I drilled and tapped into the trunk of my car.

I'm going to take the electrical tape off of the positive terminal in the engine bay, and then pot the terminal in silicone and heatshrink over it, just haven't got around to it yet. I will update this thread with pics of that once I do it, hopefully within the week.

Last edited:

graveshb

Go Kart Champion
Finally finished the install, car started up fairly quickly in 60 deg weather with the battery having sat in my hatch not charging for the past two weeks. Let the car idle for about 7 minutes, drove it around the parking lot, and then shut it off. waited a minute or two, and then tried to start it again. It started up a little bit better than it did the about 12 minutes prior, but still not quite as quickly as stock. I mean, I'm complaining about less than a half a second delay, which is perceivable but not really an inconvenience at all. I have yet to drive the car more than around the parking lot, I will update this with my perception of the change in handling after I've driven the car spiritedly.

graveshb

Go Kart Champion
Impressions after some very spirited driving

I jumped in the car, it hadn't been cranked in 2.5hrs and at 51deg it started up absolutely fine, I'm starting to think that I'm thinking too hard about how long it takes to start up. Perhaps I've just never payed that much attention to it and now that I am, I'm self conscious about how long it takes.

Anyway, I don't really know how to describe what I anticipated, but from what I had read of everyone running the lightweight battery up front, I expected the turn in to be a bit better, and I guess I expected the car to feel a little bit lighter up front.

Its impossible to explain the difference it makes on a scale that everyone can understand. That said, I believe that the car feels definitively more light footed. At first I didn't think the turn in had improved at all, and I still don't think it improved that much, but the steering mid turn does seem to be more responsive.

Its hard for me to distinguish between the effects of the lighter front end, and the extra weight in the rear, but given that I've been driving around with the battery in the hatch for the last few weeks, and I always have an additional ~15-20 lbs of tools secured in my hatch, I didn't perceive the rear end to be any more planted.

For reference, I have an SPM rear sway bar set to the hardest setting, and my suspension is otherwise stock. Also I have Hankook Ventus V12s 225/40/18 in the front and 235/40/18 in the rear.

///Audience

Ready to race!
Interesting idea. I had recently considered swapping my OEM battery for a Lithium Ion 12v which weighs about 10lbs or less. I figured it may cause a bit less traction up front with the reduced weight.

I can't seem to tell in the pics, but did you put an inline fuse after the battery on that power wire?

graveshb

Go Kart Champion
Interesting idea. I had recently considered swapping my OEM battery for a Lithium Ion 12v which weighs about 10lbs or less. I figured it may cause a bit less traction up front with the reduced weight.

I can't seem to tell in the pics, but did you put an inline fuse after the battery on that power wire?

No I didn't put a fuse in, I've seen some people do that but I've never understood why. I thought fuses were only used to prevent an electronic piece that was under too much load from burning up. I'm open to the idea if anyone can explain why I should put one in.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
No I didn't put a fuse in, I've seen some people do that but I've never understood why. I thought fuses were only used to prevent an electronic piece that was under too much load from burning up. I'm open to the idea if anyone can explain why I should put one in.

People put inline fuses to prevent electrical fires in the case where the power wire is being pinched against metal/ground, not just overload protection. It will melt the power wire and cause a fire.

graveshb

Go Kart Champion
People put inline fuses to prevent electrical fires in the case where the power wire is being pinched against metal/ground, not just overload protection. It will melt the power wire and cause a fire.

Alright, I know in one of the mk5 relocations I saw they used a 200A fuse, would this limit the batterys CCA from 325 to 200A?

///Audience

Ready to race!
If you are concerned about popping the fuse, try a circuit breaker. As NVturbo said, a fuse is NOT to protect the equipment, the equipment has its own fuses. The inline fuse is to protect the wire itself. If there is a short or a surge, the wire will ignite and burn its way down the entire vehicle.

Its also worth mentioning that you need to use a fuse proper to the size of the wiring itself. 4G wiring is typically supportive of around 150a or so (assuming you used quality OFC wire). If you run 350a across a 15' run of 4g, it will likely get the wire pretty hot.

I honestly dont know to much about starters and if they actually pull 350a to start the vehicle (that seems pretty excessive)

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
GravesHB, I'm the person you contacted over on vortex (nick0188). I'm glad you got the battery mounted up and you are liking it. For everyone elses reference, I've ran this battery since last March (so around a year) with no issues. Even in the brutal winter here in Pittsburgh/Cleveland, the still still started. When it's warmer (40+), I don't see any difference in how it starts. Under 40, it does turn over a little slow after sitting over night. When we had the week or two of below zero temps it also started slower, and I had one time where I didn't think it was going to. With that being said, it has never let me down and the car has always started. Now that it's warmer, it is cranking just fine.

It's a pretty significant weight savings for a $100 battery and depending on what bracket you make (I made mine and it was free).

graveshb

Go Kart Champion
GravesHB, I'm the person you contacted over on vortex (nick0188). I'm glad you got the battery mounted up and you are liking it. For everyone elses reference, I've ran this battery since last March (so around a year) with no issues. Even in the brutal winter here in Pittsburgh/Cleveland, the still still started. When it's warmer (40+), I don't see any difference in how it starts. Under 40, it does turn over a little slow after sitting over night. When we had the week or two of below zero temps it also started slower, and I had one time where I didn't think it was going to. With that being said, it has never let me down and the car has always started. Now that it's warmer, it is cranking just fine.

It's a pretty significant weight savings for a $100 battery and depending on what bracket you make (I made mine and it was free).

Awesome to hear its running strong up there, I appreciate your input and your help with the information you provided via PMs. I decided to wire it up with out posts, just standard wire ends with holes that bolt in the same way your post adapters do. I think the connection is sufficient.

Still working on finding time to get more and better shots, I'll update tonight or tomorrow with those.

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
That placement looks legit man. Do something different with the positive connection up front and it will be great!

graveshb

Go Kart Champion
Updated the first post with these pics of the tie down I made out of stainless steel rod, I'm going to try to pot the wire ends in the engine bay in silicone and heatshrink over them some time this week, I will update the thread once I do.