GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Common rattling noise between 2500-3000rpm cause

minimal1

I've been dealing with Volkswagen and the dealership regarding this issue for the past few weeks. I first started hearing rattling coming from the engine bay at around 700Km. First, none of technicians I've talked to at the dealership agree that the rattling is caused by wastegate flutter. Here's one techs response:

"From my experience working for a rally team and thus working with many turbocharged vehicles, I can safely say that the "wastegate flutter" sound is not actually caused by the wastegate, but rather is an effect produced by throttle lift-off causing compressed air to pass back through the compressor. It is very prominent when a blow-off valve is installed, and sounds more like a chirp and less like the noise you are describing. The function of the wastegate ensures that correct boost pressure is maintained in the turbo, and the sound you are hearing may be a byproduct of that function, particularly as you describe it as being at relatively low rpms."

Anyway below is exactly what was printed on my last service report.

COMP: (GEN) ENGINE MAKES A RATTLE NOISE WHEN ENGINE IS RAN AT 2500 RPM.
2ND GEAR TO 6TH GEAR.

CAUSE: SLIGHT RATTLE NOISE HEARD FROM 2500-3000 RPM
FLEX JOINT ON EXHAUST RATTLING
AS VEHICLE BREAK IN NOISE WILL SUBSIDE

The tech servicing my GTI this time around knew about the rattling problem and claimed all 2.0L Volkswagen engines have this issue. The metal mesh encasing the flex joint from the exhaust seems to resonate to create the rattle noise. He's seen this with the Jetta's and Tiguan as well. He claims the rattling eventually subsides over the course of the vehicles break in. Problem is no one truly knows what the break in period is for the rattle to disappear. I've sent all the details to Volkswagen posing the following questions.

* If this is a common known problem why has Volkswagen not acknowledged this issue?
* What is Volkswagen's official response regarding this issue?
* How will Volkswagen address the issue? Will owners be notified?
* What is the approximate expected break in period in terms of mileage?

If the rattling eventually does go away on it's own, great, although it's still an unknown. What amazes me though is how anyone would think that rattling on throttle is normal, "not a problem" and would put up with it. I'm definitely not letting this issue go. Every passenger in my GTI also comments on the rattling so it's a problem and quite noticeable. I'll post Volkswagen's response on this issue when I receive it.

---
Received VW's response today (Aug 5th, 2010)

"We confirmed with <NAME REMOVED> Service Manager, that your car was found to be operating within specifications at the time of both of your visits. He explained that the noise heard by his staff was minimal and within the bounds of typical for this model, and in his experience, the noise tends to subside by the time of the first recommended service is necessary. Because a manufacturing shortcoming has not been found, there is no repair recommendation we can make; however, if the noise does not subside by your 15,000-kilometre maintenance service, I recommend contacting your dealership for further investigation."

I encourage everyone who is experiencing the rattling noise to post their detailed experience in this thread including their current mileage. Some of you are way over 15K with continued rattling. I'm forwarding this thread to VW so they understand this is not a small isolated case. What has me most annoyed with this issue is how it is downplayed, even by some owners themselves. There is nothing NORMAL about engine bay rattling on a vehicle of this class. The rattle isn't SLIGHT or MINIMAL since every passenger in my GTI comments on the noise. Lastly, other then the rattle being an annoying distraction, what hasn't been said yet is it makes the car sound like a lemon, giving off a vibe of "cheap".

---
My latest response sent to Volkswagen below. (August 15, 2010)

Thank you for your reply. I have started an online forum thread for
other GTI owners to document their experience and too include their
current mileage. The forum thread is found here.

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8045

I have included your last reply to this case as many owners have been
eager to get an official response from Volkswagen on this issue.
Although I was disappointed by the last response since I was
anticipating official word from Volkswagen yet what I received instead
was relayed opinion from the dealership service manager. The same
service manager that did not even attend my service test drive when I
requested his presence.

My reason for forwarding this forum thread to you is to point out that
many owners are still experiencing rattling noise on throttle and are
well over the 15,000km mileage mark, some more then double this mileage.
This is the 15,000km mileage mark that the dealership service manager
below claims when the rattling noise should subside.

So my original questions still stand.

* If this is a common known problem why has Volkswagen (not the
dealership) not yet acknowledged this issue?

* What is Volkswagen's (not the dealership) official response regarding
this issue?

* How will Volkswagen (not the dealership) address this issue? Will
owners be notified?

* What is Volkswagen's assessment (not the dealership) on the
approximate expected break in period (mileage) for the rattle to subside
and/or disappear?

I will also be posting my experience regarding this issue (rattling on
throttle) too all online forums relevant to Volkswagen vehicles in order
to bring awareness to this problem. Hopefully this will help other
owners understand that this is not "normal" and possibly make future
owners aware before making a purchase. Ultimately my hope is that these
documented experiences posted by GTI owners will help Volkswagen to
quickly reach a resolution to this problem.

Thank you for your time.

Last edited:

Carbon Steel

Go Kart Champion
I am staying tuned in as well.

thanks

kthor7031

Go Kart Champion
Agreed.

09vdubgti

Banned
I didnt read the uber long thread but its the downpipe section

You see that chain looking thing in between the dp and the cat yea thats whats making that rattle like noise.

It is normal, its like that on all 2.0ts....

09vdubgti

Banned
just use it as an excuse to upgrade to a 3'' dp :thumbsup:

edit: read your post now, and yea man your just going to have to cope with it, i have an 09 with 25k on it and the noise is still there. It doesnt bother me though...

KiwiKawaii

Ready to race!
I still don't think it is the downpipe rattling. Some have changed their DP and yet the noise is still there.

09vdubgti

Banned
I still don't think it is the downpipe rattling. Some have changed their DP and yet the noise is still there.

Its the DP, the techs at my dealer told me themselves..

I also had a GHL exhaust on my car and wala that rattling noise went away

Also just shake it and youll know that thats the noise...

KiwiKawaii

Ready to race!
Its the DP, the techs at my dealer told me themselves..

I also had a GHL exhaust on my car and wala that rattling noise went away

Also just shake it and youll know that thats the noise...

Did you get your car chipped when you got the exhaust?

I've heard that chipping the car makes it happen less.

Eleanor1

I am very interested in this as well. I have been to the dealer with this complaint and was told they could not hear the rattle. I even drove with the mechanic and pointed it out at least a dozen times and he still said he couldn't hear it.

TAZZ1

Ready to race!
Subscribed! Let's hope VW has the sense to fix this on 2011 cars.

Does anyone know if this issue is also common on MKV (i.e cars with the EA113 engine) or is it specific to 2.0T EA888?

MKVI_CSM

Ready to race!
The Culprit

yea Eleanor the same thing happened to me. heres a pic of what causes the rattle. just like 09vdubgti said. its just a perfect reason to upgrade your DP.

Attachments

• Exhaust rattle.jpg
    Exhaust rattle.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 3,280

Eleanor1

yea Eleanor the same thing happened to me. heres a pic of what causes the rattle. just like 09vdubgti said. its just a perfect reason to upgrade your DP.

Thanks MKVI. I'll definitely consider the upgrade, the rattle is my only complaint so far.

Where do I go for the upgrade and how much would it be?... My old car was an '89 corolla, so I've never done any modifications on my car before.

giantearl

this "rattling" bugged me for a long time since it was very distinct and loud enough to hear with the windows down rolled down.

i'm about to hit the 10,000 mile mark, and it seems the rattle has gone away, or much less noticeable. though i usually like to warm up my car and let it sit every morning for about 5 minutes