GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Car Chat 2: The Place You Go When Plac ISN'T Considering a New Car

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
eh the point of a 996 is that it's cheap enough to be almost beater status by the time you take low depreciation into account (1999's are the only year with LSD option and the only year with a non-shitty ims bearing so should retain more value and cost less to maintain)

Don't you have to go all the way up to 2009 to avoid IMS issues? That's over double the price, at that point I'd buy a used V8 Vantage. 400 hp high revving V8 at 3600 lbs just like an E90 M3, with "front-mid" engine and trans at the back like a vette. People would be like "whoa I didn't know they made a 2 door Fusion, that's neat"

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ASTON[VANTAGE[]][]]&listingId=367880005&Log=0

or I'd just buy an Evora at that price, dat British engineering :lol:

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Weird that you mention a Vantage... I started thinking about Astons for a bit after watching a few bits on Jaylenos garage.

They are exactly what I want in a car... Pretty much my favorites are GT cars. Still some usability as a daily and for road trips, usually good power and great looks. Pretty much a great street car.

That said... Isn't that 4.3 kind of slow (I know i know, I drive a turdi) but at 47k for a 10 year old car... wouldn't it make more sense to get a new Vette?

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
Weird that you mention a Vantage... I started thinking about Astons for a bit after watching a few bits on Jaylenos garage.

They are exactly what I want in a car... Pretty much my favorites are GT cars. Still some usability as a daily and for road trips, usually good power and great looks. Pretty much a great street car.

That said... Isn't that 4.3 kind of slow (I know i know, I drive a turdi) but at 47k for a 10 year old car... wouldn't it make more sense to get a new Vette?

You would have a new Vette. That's not very special in comparison is it. The Aston would be an event when u drive it and rare. I'd take that.

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85810. I see this car everyday I workout. Right across from my gym. It is perfect!

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
The 4.3 vantage is about the same speed as a base C5 vette or a base 997, seems fast enough to me :iono:

The really cheap Aston is the DB7 (or if you can handle an automatic, the Jag XKR version) but it really IS a Ford at that point - which is too bad because they actually look better than the Vantage on the outside IMO.

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
The 4.3 vantage is about the same speed as a base C5 vette or a base 997, seems fast enough to me :iono:

The really cheap Aston is the DB7 (or if you can handle an automatic, the Jag XKR version) but it really IS a Ford at that point - which is too bad because they actually look better than the Vantage on the outside IMO.

I was going to say, the XKR is just as quick as the Aston while being a whole hell of a lot cheaper. And from some angles, looks better too.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Isn't an Aston Martin fairly reliable... that V12 was pretty much two ford contour engines fused together no?

Manual cars should be ok... usually owned by old rich fart or rapper. The latter being a tell tell sign of not going for that particular model.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
BTW can someone tell me the difference between the Vantage, DB9 and Vanquish? They all seem the same to me, and have similar if not the same engines/transmissions...

PetrolHead

When's the next track day
It's not so much the engines, but the electronics around them. Worse than other euro cars...at least Jags.

I honestly can't tell the difference between the Vantage, DB9 and Vanquish. I believe the order of awesome ($$$) is Vantage<Vanquish<DB9, but I am likely wrong.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
And we are car guys:iono: fak... this is how everyone feels about golfs...

Golf is 1/3 of the price of an R but looks the same to anyone buy Egg humpers

V8 Vanquish seems like the one to get... mid 40s for one with sub 20 or even 30k miles. Likely to be a classic forever. And it still looks the same as a new 300k car :laugh:

PetrolHead

When's the next track day
It's weird to feel like the normal population on cars...and while I'm annoyed, I kind of like it.

A V8 Vantage does seem like a hell of a buy if you want to roll hard.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
DB9 is a lot bigger than a vantage (might have a back seat?), I don't know anything about the vanquish.

This is all silly pie in the sky though, I'd probably buy an E92 M3 or an Evora or a 911/Cayman before a Vantage because of reliability concerns. Manual DB7 as a fat cruiser though? That's just a nice Ford, I'd drive that if looking at a 4000 lb car.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
I dunno I think a V8 vantage is a hellofa deal.
Exotic Badge
Exotic looks
Not so exotic Price
No turBROs or fancy transmissions to deal with
Likely no exotic car maintenance due to somewhat normal engines/transmissions and non carbon brakes

Honestly it is a far better car to buy than say a 993 air cooled POS porsche.