GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Car Chat 2: The Place You Go When Plac ISN'T Considering a New Car

PetrolHead

When's the next track day
Honestly, if it were my money and I was in the market for a car like that, I'd buy an Evora over all. No doubt.

Astons sure are secksy, and if you want a GT car, you cannot possibly top one.

PetrolHead

I dunno I think a V8 vantage is a hellofa deal.
Exotic Badge
Exotic looks
Not so exotic Price
No turBROs or fancy transmissions to deal with
Likely no exotic car maintenance due to somewhat normal engines/transmissions and non carbon brakes

Honestly it is a far better car to buy than say a 993 air cooled POS porsche.

Probably is. Not sure about the electronics, etc, doe.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
DB9 is a lot bigger than a vantage (might have a back seat?), I don't know anything about the vanquish.

This is all silly pie in the sky though, I'd probably buy an E92 M3 or an Evora or a 911/Cayman before a Vantage because of reliability concerns. Manual DB7 as a fat cruiser though? That's just a nice Ford, I'd drive that if looking at a 4000 lb car.

I don't see how an M3 is more reliable than an Aston... That Engine isn't exactly a pinnacle of reliability if it is anything like the previous M engines past 1999

Most of these Astons are sub 30k mile cars... good luck finding an M3 in that mileage range... Hell an M3 with those miles will likely be the same price (mid 40s) and given the nature of the Aston... it is a weekend car... put <3k a miles a year on it or less and you're golden.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
Manual V8 vantage should in theory have the same amount of issues as a manual E90 M3, the difference is that there are a million more people with M3's to find and fix issues and more parts available, more dealers, etc.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Depends on the intended use. M3 could go to the track. Vantage could go to....the mall?
You can take a Vantage to the track same as with an M3. But meh...

They are both more like great everyday/weekend GT cars.

Manual V8 vantage should in theory have the same amount of issues as a manual E90 M3, the difference is that there are a million more people with M3's to find and fix issues and more parts available, more dealers, etc.
This is a good point. The parts availability and dealer availability is a huge difference. And even though M tax is insane I am sure a rear light bulb change on an aston will run $693.25+42.10 disposal fee plus $93 in tax.

PetrolHead

You can take a Vantage to the track same as with an M3. But meh...

They are both more like great everyday/weekend GT cars.

e90 M3 makes an epic track car, IMO. Also a great GT car. I think it's a solid buy in this category. Just lacking the badge and exclusivity, whatever that's worth.

I wouldn't take a Vantage to the track for fear of breaking something made of unobtanium. But I'm sure the Aston key it's a panty dropped when you're trolling the local bars.

This is a good point. The parts availability and dealer availability is a huge difference. And even though M tax is insane I am sure a rear light bulb change on an aston will run $693.25+42.10 disposal fee plus $93 in tax.

:laugh::laugh::laugh: Yes.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
I don't see how an M3 is more reliable than an Aston... That Engine isn't exactly a pinnacle of reliability if it is anything like the previous M engines past 1999

Most of these Astons are sub 30k mile cars... good luck finding an M3 in that mileage range... Hell an M3 with those miles will likely be the same price (mid 40s) and given the nature of the Aston... it is a weekend car... put <3k a miles a year on it or less and you're golden.

Depends on the intended use. M3 could go to the track. Vantage could go to....the mall?
I'd daily drive either and probably autox but mot track either. They're same size, same power, same weight (vantage is actually better distributed), they probably handle pretty similarly.

PetrolHead

They should, but I doubt it. I drove a DBS when I was a writer...it was stupid fast, really comfortable, but didn't handle that great. Granted it's a much bigger car, but still, I don't think handling is one of Aston's strong suits. They're much better suited (and intended for) GT.

I think and M3 makes a better all-purpose car.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
I'd daily drive either and probably autox but mot track either. They're same size, same power, same weight (vantage is actually better distributed), they probably handle pretty similarly.

Yep. Vantage is 49/51 rear bias. rear mounted trans and fr/mid engine. 08+ models have a power bump to 430hp the 05-07 models "only" have 380hp.

I am fairly familiar with the jaguar engine this one is based on.. (since they put a 4.0 liter V8 version of it into the lincoln LS.

They are relatively solid minus minor valve cover gasket leaks and coil failures at above 60/75k miles. Other than that the timing chains fail by 150-200k miles as with any somewhat shittily designed chain driven V8 (European), but I doubt there is a single aston with that mileage.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
They should, but I doubt it. I drove a DBS when I was a writer...it was stupid fast, really comfortable, but didn't handle that great. Granted it's a much bigger car, but still, I don't think handling is one of Aston's strong suits. They're much better suited (and intended for) GT.

I think and M3 makes a better all-purpose car.

Hmm... DBS?

That car is 15 inches longer and 300lbs+ heavier. It is more of a GT. I wouldn't want a V12 aston, that engine bay is frighting.

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
Tight engine bays suck when you need to work on them. The shit I did to my Cobra should have taken half the time it did but no clearance to turn a wrench is fucking frustrating.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Tight engine bays suck when you need to work on them. The shit I did to my Cobra should have taken half the time it did but no clearance to turn a wrench is fucking frustrating.

That DOHC is huge... And the supercharger doesn't help...

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
Buying a V12 DB7 is like buying an old 850i is my guess. You'd better be a mechanic and not want to drive the thing very often.

If I had $40-50k to spend on a daily/GT car I would totally test a manual v8 vantage and e92 m3 back to back. That is something I've been thinking about too - keep the vibe another couple of years and buy something baller. My Z06 will be "done" with another $10k or less in mods so the only car budget starting in 2017ish will be gas and maintenance.