GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

First puppy!!

Eroc93

Ready to race!
So my and girlfriend and I have decided to take the huge step on buying a pug puppy this Wednesday. First time dog owners, it's a pug puppy anyone have any tips on this breed? What kind of food everyone uses? Toys etc thanks

nouse4aname

Go Kart Champion
Sign up for a puppy obedience class if you're first time owners. PetSmart and the like offer it if you can't find a local trainer.

Plinyyounger

Ready to race!
Awesome! Caesar Milan has a great puppy book you should definitely read! As far as food, use very good food, don't be skimpy.

Royal Canin and Blue Buffalo are awesome! Help with good digestion as well as skin and bone development!

Have fun and remember, you are the alpha dog, not the puppy!

MaliciousMK6

Go Kart Champion
Awesome! Caesar Milan has a great puppy book you should definitely read! As far as food, use very good food, don't be skimpy.

Royal Canin and Blue Buffalo are awesome! Help with good digestion as well as skin and bone development!

Have fun and remember, you are the alpha dog, not the puppy!

2nd this! I use Blue buffalo as well, its great quality and must better for dogs with weak digestion and easier on their stomach.

Eroc93

Ready to race!
Cool I'll defiantly look into that food.. Actually just received the dog today very calm dog, any good treat? The bacon strips any Good

nouse4aname

Go Kart Champion
Blue Buffalo makes treats too.

The no name treats are the ones that seem to get recalls all the time. Steer clear of those. Real bacon or beef jerky(for humans) is better.

KYGTIGuy

Go Kart Champion
My wifes a Vet and she only feeds our dogs Hill Science Diet and she doesn't like Cesar Milan.

vrBilstein86

Ready to race!
Here's a fun fact. In German pugs are called Mops...I have to admit that I giggled a little bit when this guy told me what his dog was in German.

Eroc93

Ready to race!
The little guy

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 199

Eroc93

Ready to race!
Yea we ended up buying her a collar and a harness. Taking her today to get all her shots. Puppy charging my wallet up almost 200 dollars between supplies and shots already :0

Jaber

Modero
Our Westie is now 2 years old, but we were first time puppy owners when we got him at 8 weeks.

If you don't have a decent savings account or money set aside, look into pet insurance, incase something ever happens to hi. Bills add up quick! More so if its in emergency. We have petplan and it's about $30 a month. Covers 100% with $200 deductible.

Food, this is like asking where everyone goes to get gas. Some have preference, that others won't agree. Raw Vs Kibble. Brand Vs Brand. Personally, I feed Dr. Tims and Annamaet.

Training, we used reward based training. No caesar milan poke/jab/intimidation. Whatever you use, keep up with the training!

Pay close attention to their developmental stages, it's very important! You can google it, but they all seem to relay the same info, sometimes just worded different. i.e. http://ice.ucdavis.edu/~robyn/Korina/BCIdeas/Criticalperiodsinpuppydevelopment.html

Crate training, worked wonders for us! Make sure the crate is just big enough for him to get up and turn around. Not too big where he can soil one end and sleep in other. We bought a crate bigger than what he needed and it had a divider to size as much as we wanted.

Just some quick things off top of my head, hope this helps :)

Jaber

Modero
Don't buy a collar, buy a harness.

If trained well/early, collar can be better choice. Harness = they learn to pull early. Pulling is not something you want them to get in habit of doing.

Harness is good for car rides however. You can get them seat belt attachment and clip it on to their harness.