GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The COVID19 SCAMdemic... California Nears $8 Gallon Gas - Biden Sends Zelenskyyy $61 Billion

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Without knowing the delta, any post intercooler data is pretty useless though.
Almost. Knowing ambient temps help. It isn’t a perfect post compression delta though.

but if it’s 90f and post intercooler reads 100f on car 1. But post intercooler reads 120f on car two. One can draw some conclusions if both cars are identical with different intercoolers.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Since the general assumed consensus is that an upgraded stock location replacement will beat a front mount, I'm going to place the burden of evidence on you guys. Do you have anything to back up a FMIC being better than a direct fit upgrade?

Here is something ECS did. The numbers between the FMIC and factory location one isn't huge. It looks like they tapped the end tanks with temp sensors.

http://bd8ba3c866c8cbc330ab-7b26c6f...7_Front_Mount_Intercooler_Testing_Results.pdf

I have the Neuspeed FMIC (booo hisss). I'll see 5 to 20 degrees above ambient depending on how much throttle I'm giving.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
You can get on Reddit and ask. Give it a few hours and you’ll be up to your gills in logs. And it does make sense, stock location intercoolers (both stock and upgrades) have crazy high inlet temps

Reddit isn't good for anything but pictures of GTI's. Want horrible, wrong information? Go to reddit.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Obviously that goes without saying.

the biggest issue with data is temp data. That’s post intercooler in the intake manifold. There’s no way to gather any other relevant temp data pre and post turbo. Unless u rig a ton of sensors

Pretty sure I saw some mk6 heavy track guys reporting high engine temps with FMIC. Not sure if they had removed the stock location or not.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Also, this page count is getting higher than IATs without an intercooler. 1900 imminent!

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Pretty sure I saw some mk6 heavy track guys reporting high engine temps with FMIC. Not sure if they had removed the stock location or not.
I can imagine that being true especially on track. If it comes to it, if I can’t do two laps in a row, I’ll swap to a larger radiator.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Here is something ECS did. The numbers between the FMIC and factory location one isn't huge. It looks like they tapped the end tanks with temp sensors.

http://bd8ba3c866c8cbc330ab-7b26c6f...7_Front_Mount_Intercooler_Testing_Results.pdf

I have the Neuspeed FMIC (booo hisss). I'll see 5 to 20 degrees above ambient depending on how much throttle I'm giving.
Nice info.

Here's the back to back pull data on the ARM from Mygolf:

1614743705930.png

Ambient vs Intake air temp over 6 pulls:
1614743822043.png

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
A Few threads mention either the AC having to work harder, or not blowing as cool, some claim higher coolants. Though I've never seen any of these complaints coming from someone with a FMIC.. just being made.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Nice info.

Here's the back to back pull data on the ARM from Mygolf:

View attachment 204995
Ambient vs Intake air temp over 6 pulls:
View attachment 204996
That looks really good. On that first graph, at the end. It’s as if the arm wants to hold the heat for a wee bit before temps start dipping. I’ve seen this same behavior from the arm logs I’ve seen. They claim this intercooler can take over 500hp. There’s no way it’ll take more than 450hp.

interesting to note just how stable the temps are.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
We are getting stronger. Just don’t tell Jim. He’ll say this is the biggest thread in mk5 history or some shit

But this thread is on the MK8 forums...