GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Recent content by dstarthery

1. dstarthery

Dear Battery Sythoms and Advice

Finally, I used a jump starter and started it. Drove it for a bit and once stopped, it started again. I started it two more times and it starts OK. So, it is definitely the battery but it seems OK now. Since it had decent voltage, I guess it does not produce the needed power any longer.
  2. dstarthery

I checked the battery voltage with a voltmeter and it shows more than 12V. I guess the issue is someplace else.
  3. dstarthery

Recently I noticed it takes slightly more cranking to start. Instead of starting in the first second it takes 2 seconds of cranking. Today it does not start at all. It is not very cold outside, around 50F. Last time I drove it was four days ago for about 15 min on the freeway. When I crank it...
  4. dstarthery

Issues shifting in reverse

Re-posting in this topic to get better visibility. Sorry for the duplicate. I have a 2013 stock GTI with manual transmission. I started having issues when shifting in reverse. I place the shifter in reverse as usual. When I engage the clutch, the car moves forward! It looks like it is in first...
  5. dstarthery

Issues shifting in reverse

I have a 2013 stock GTI with manual transmission. I started having issues when shifting in reverse. I place the shifter in reverse as usual. When I engage the clutch, the car moves forward! It looks like it is in first instead of reverse. I do NOT hear any strange noise or feel any grinding...
  6. dstarthery

Exterior Front Yellow Light

I was checking my position lights and I noticed that the front yellow light on the passenger side is missing the bulb. This is the small rectangular light on the lower front side, next to the fog lights. It is *not* the turning light. I purchased the car new and I wonder if a light bulb is even...
  7. dstarthery

Anti-theft Device/Feature

Back in 2013 when I purchased my GTI new from the dealership in California they wanted to charge me $200 for an optional anti-theft device/feature in the car. I said no but I did not ask about it. Since it was a brand new car, I assume this is a common extra-option, like the extra set of floor...
  8. dstarthery

Is Computer Reset Needed After Spark Plug Replace?

I just replaced the stock spark plugs with NGK BKR7EIX IX on my 2013 GTI. Do I need to reset the onboard computer or anything of the sorts? I do *not* see any strange behavior but I just wanted to double check the exact procedure.
  9. dstarthery

Spark Plug Replacement Guide/Parts/Tools?

Thanks! I understand that NGK BKR7EIX are pre-gapped at .025. Is this gap good enough for the stock engine? Do I need a specialized spark plug socket? I have a 5/8 and a 13/16 socket from a multi piece tool set. They are 2" long. They are magnetized and have a rubber stop inside. The extension...
  10. dstarthery

Spark Plug Replacement Guide/Parts/Tools?

I'm a newbie in car maintenance. My 2013 GTI has 21K miles and the original spark plugs (almost 8 years old). I'm looking into replacing them myself. Is there a good guide that I could follow to learn? Also, do you recommend a specific set of spark plugs that would be easy to find and deal with...
  11. dstarthery

Installed reconditioned wheel and tire is losing air

Just to follow up on this, the folks at America's Tire noticed that the rim on the wheel is a bit rugged due to being re-painted. They polished the rim for a bit and now the air leak has stopped. The rugged area prevented the tire from forming a tight seal. Kudos to the America's Tire technicians!
  12. dstarthery

Thanks! Is it possible to be something wrong with the wheel since it is not new and it was reconditioned?
  13. dstarthery

The tire is eight years old but has very low mileage. The mechanic at America's Tire took the wheel off the checked it for leaks. He could not find anything wrong but he still took the tire off and re-installed it. He also replaced the valve stems. As it is still leaking, are there more checks...
  14. dstarthery

Oh, yeah, I should have mentioned. The tire from the busted wheel was damaged and has been recycled. I put an older tire I had.
  15. dstarthery

Hello, I busted one of the original wheels and bought a reconditioned one as a replacement. I had America's Tire install it. The tire is slowly losing air. From 36 psi it goes down to 30 psi in 2-3 days. Eventually the tire warning-light comes on. I had America's Tire reinstall it and also...