GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Search results

1. T

Squeal during accel with AC

2012 MK6 GTI DSG 130k miles When I have the AC on, I hear a squeal from underneath (?) the car when I accelerate from stopped. I don't hear it when I'm driving, and I don't hear it when the AC is off. Is this the serpentine belt? Do I need to worry?
  2. T

A/C and MIL

I have a 2012 GTI DSG with 130k mi, and the MIL came on last week. The dealership traced the fault to a bad sensor in the radiator. They replaced the radiator under warranty, and the MIL went off for a few days. Then it came back on. I brought it back into the shop, and they pulled the same...
  3. T

How do I fix the rubber on my door handle?

The gray rubberized fake leather grip on my door handle is peeling off. How do I repair this?
  4. T

Door rattle after polishing

I cleaned the seals and the sections of the body that are in contact with the seals when the doors close with detailing spray. The sound is completely gone! To clarify, it was more of a creak than a rattle. It happened when I went over bumps at a low speed. It sounded like someone was...
  5. T

That's a good call. There is a lot of compound in there. It's more of a creak than a rattle.
  6. T

I just polished my 2012 GTI 4-door with a DA polisher for the first time. Looks great, but now the front doors make a noise when I go over a bumpy road at low speeds. Did I knock or vibrate something loose? Can I fix it? What should I look for?
  7. T

Paint Chip Repair Help

So I ended up scuff sanding it, spraying it, and then spraying it with clearcoat. I got a little overspray from the clearcoat, and there is also a tape line. I put the tape about 4" back from the edge of the windshield. I tried clay, but that didn't help. I hand-sanded it with a 3000...
  8. T

Door seal keeps popping off

So, I never fixed this. Does anyone know how to replace it? I found the replacement seal...
  9. T

Blinking CEL on startup, then fine

2012 GTI SE DSG 110k mi Coil packs and plugs replaced last year. Car was sitting in my driveway in cold rainy weather for a few days. I started it up today, and I got a lot of shimmying and a blinking CEL. Then I put it into reverse, and as soon as I started moving, the CEL turned off, and...
  10. T

Can I replace my own brakes?

I need new brakes and rotors. I've gotten quotes in the $800-$1000 range. It looks like I can buy pads and rotors for around $300 though. A friend replaced his on his RAV4, and offered to help. Other friends have warned me that too many things can go wrong. Is this the sort of job that I...
  11. T

How important are alignments?

I had a Civic, and I bought a "lifetime alignment package" from Firestone. It was $160, and I got an alignment every time I got the oil changed and tires rotated. I've had my GTI for 5 years, and I got the first alignment done yesterday. I was getting a lot of road noise, a bit of shimmying...
  12. T

What is dripping

Something is dripping out of my car. 2012 GTI MK6 DSG. I had the oil changed and the brake system flushed a few weeks ago. It is a clear, oily liquid. Maybe engine oil?
  13. T

New Brakes: Dealer or Firestone?

It looks like I'm going to need new brakes pretty soon. The dealer quoted me $500 per axle. Is this fair or high? Should I take it to someplace like Firestone or a local mechanic instead? Thank you.
  14. T

Paint Chip Repair Help

The paint seems to be chipping off of the edge of my roof above the windshield. I have attached some images. There are a lot of small chips right on the edge, and two larger ones. They look bigger in the pics, but they are each about the size of a quarter. Is this something I can repair...
  15. T

How do I remove wax residue?

I've been using NuFinish on my car for years, and it's covered with tiny white spots. The spots appear to be residue from the NuFinish. I can scrape them off with my fingernail, but they don't wash off. The last time I used NuFinish was probably 3 months ago, and it's still covered with...
  16. T

Suggestions for a sealant?

I currently wash my car and then "wax" it with NuFinish. It looks pretty good, and it lasts a long time, but it's a lot of work. I was going to get a buffer, but I got a great suggestion to switch to a spray sealant that can be applied to the car while it is still wet. Chemical Guys V07...
  17. T

Suggestions for a buffer?

I'm looking for a buffer/polisher to speed up and take the shoulder pain out of the wax-on/wax-off process. It's just for buffing and waxing, and I'm pretty much a rank-amateur. I'm looking for low-cost, easy to use, and no chance of damaging my paint job. Suggestions?
  18. T

Suspension is noisy when cold

Does anyone else find this? When the car is cold in the morning, I find that the suspension is noisy for the first few minutes of driving. Is there fluid in it that thickens up or pools at the bottom? Are there bushings that stiffen? Should I be worried about it?
  19. T

iPhone 8 not pairing

I have a 2012 GTI SE. I just replaced my iPhone 6 with an iPhone 8, and I can't get it to pair. I have tried the simple "connect" option and the "phone search" option, but neither works. Am I missing a step?