GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Search results

1. socal87

D1S LED retrofit - who wants to be the guinea pig?

Looks like there's a bunch of LED replacements for our xenon bulbs; they're supposedly plug and play. While I don't see any from any "reputable" manufacturers like Morimoto yet, reviews seem generally good. I'm thinking about giving them a try when it's time for replacement.
  2. socal87

Weird overheating problem

I think I remember radiator temperature being consistently 30-40° cooler than the motor, and it's weird that it only seems to get hot at highway speeds when the most air is flowing through it. It's not blocked; when I had the motor replaced last October, I had the AC condensor replaced...
  3. socal87

Maybe there isn't a problem and I just haven't paid that much attention. Extended my drive home in 100 degree heat, but radiator never went above 205 and engine 215.
  4. socal87

I've had a couple water pumps replaced because they've leaked; I've also had radiator fans + ECM replaced when those burned out (water intrusion into ECM caused fans to run 100% constantly and eventually burned them out) I have a new issue. It's been really warm here in the Midwest but I...
  5. socal87

Starter interlock vs clutch stop?

So I'm on my 5th clutch for this car....long story. Tech who installed it recommended a clutch stop, and I like the idea as the engagement point is maybe halfway through the pedal throw. Problem is, the starter interlock is less than an inch off the floor. Has anyone found a way around this...
  6. socal87

Alternatives to OEM bixenons?

My right side headlight assembly just quit. Was flashing my headlights at some idiot driving 10mph in a thunderstorm, got one orange flash from the right side, and no more. Turn signal and LEDs still work, xenon doesn't; just tried it with a new bulb. Seeing how expensive OEM units are, is...
  7. socal87

The SouthBend clutch saga continues.

Oh, I think I see what you're saying. Their FAQ even says "customer credit" . Buy new part. Use part. Buy same part for replacement. Return used part. Get credit on original purchase price. So, I bought a $1500 clutch. When it wears out, I'll buy a new one, return this one, and get a $1500...
  8. socal87

I meant mixing and matching different SMFs, not a SMF and DMF. So if I had my SBC flywheel machined, could I potentially use a different disc and pressure plate with it? I know about the FCP credit, what I meant is that all replacements after the initial purchase are essentially free in the...
  9. socal87

I haven't had the DMF for more than 10 years at this point so I'd either have to have the SBC flywheels machined and find a disc/PP that will work with them, or buy a new flywheel. Or are they pretty much universal?
  10. socal87

How so? It's $1000 just for the disc and pressure plate, with flywheel it's about the same as the SBC kit. Yeah no kidding. Not sure if I've seen you around town, I work down at New Century and live down in Franklin County so I don't go through KCK or KCMO much Ugh...My daughter will be 12...
  11. socal87

I've managed to avoid going further, but I've spent well over $20k on this car in repairs over its lifetime. I want to eventually go K04 if I can find one for a decent price; I already have an ARM FMIC which I installed with the "new" motor but my wife isn't a fan of how much of a money pit this...
  12. socal87

Cost is a major factor, I've already bought 3 clutch kits for this damn car
  13. socal87

MASTER CLUTCH APPLICATION GUIDE - WHAT DO WE REALLY NEED?

Is this a necro if it's a sticky? At least it didn't burst the pressure plate like mine did. How has the pedal feel improved in the last 3 years? Have you used any other kits and how would you compare them?
  14. socal87

Well, in my case I think the wrist pin seized. Started getting a metallic tapping in cylinder 4 unless that coil was unplugged. Scope showed scuff marks on the back side of the cylinder, evidence of piston slap. Shop tech it probably wouldn't be an immediate problem so I kept driving it. Tap...
  15. socal87

Been a while since I've posted, life is like that. I've been notoriously hard on clutches; those of you in the Seattle area have probably heard stories. Bought my car December 2011, went Stage 1 at about 5k miles. Bought a used APR turbo back exhaust and went Stage 2 at about 10k miles...
  16. socal87

How to run cable for rear camera?

Thanks. This isn't for the Tiguan backup camera, but rather a camera mounted on the rear window. I imagine I can still use the same routing and just make a small hole in the hatch trim for the cable to pass through...
  17. socal87

How to run cable for rear camera?

I just upgraded from a Viofo A119S to the A129 Plus Duo, and I can't seem to find a decent guide for routing the rear cam cable. Has anyone done this?
  18. socal87

Difference between RNS-315 part numbers?

My RNS-315 is PN 1K0 035 274 B, according to VCDS. I've been planning on replacing it because of a persistent memory fault that keeps losing my Bluetooth pairings. I noticed that there's a few variants - B, C, D, E, J. Anyone know the difference? I'm probably just going to go with the same...
  19. socal87

Can I get a moment of silence?

Couple of souvenirs Car feels great, better than it has in years. Maybe ever
  20. socal87

How to get radio code?

Well, service guy at the dealer said that it should be specific to the radio itself, not the car, so if I plan on replacing the head unit it's a non issue. Love it when problems turn out to not be problems