GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Ultimate "Driver's" Road Trip

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Thanks for posting up about your travels. The TOTD is a place you can get into trouble. Like you found out it's not a race track & has other traffic. Live & learn. Safe travels looking forward to follow you on your trip. (y)

This friend of mine thought he was on a race track. Car totaled, people fine.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Thanks for posting up about your travels. The TOTD is a place you can get into trouble. Like you found out it's not a race track & has other traffic. Live & learn. Safe travels looking forward to follow you on your trip. (y)

This friend of mine thought he was on a race track. Car totaled, people fine.

During my week there I saw 4 cars and a few bikes who suffered the same fate. I'm comfortable enough on a track to be able to dial my driving down to about 7/10 and have plenty of safe fun. Others get ahead of themselves and get in trouble. Especially when your car have more ability than the driver.

The area has so much non driving things to offer as well, we rented a pontoon boat for 6 hours for $27. While we were on the boat we saw a helicopter carrying someone out 😭

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
Turns out I did drive 28! That's what I drove the first time and thought was TOTD! You're right, it's way better.
Screenshot_20200518-112719.png

I think I'll pass on turning around for this trip. I've got plenty in front of me to go, but I'll be back at some point

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
During my week there I saw 4 cars and a few bikes who suffered the same fate. I'm comfortable enough on a track to be able to dial my driving down to about 7/10 and have plenty of safe fun. Others get ahead of themselves and get in trouble. Especially when your car have more ability than the driver.

The area has so much non driving things to offer as well, we rented a pontoon boat for 6 hours for $27. While we were on the boat we saw a helicopter carrying someone out 😭

That has been my experience too. Once you become a comfortable track driver there is no need to push the limits on the back roads. 7/10's is about perfect IMO. When I'm down there the dragon is my least favorite road. Too many Ricky racer wanna be's driving into the red mist. If you get into trouble down there it is a long wait for help.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Subbed. Great idea to do this now. I’d love to be able to take a trip like this.

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
Alignment shop said my rear tie rods (?) are rusted solid and I'll need new ones to adjust my toe, but they aligned what they could free of charge. I have -.17° toe on the RL 😳
15898255573455257556337839174421.jpg

Also concerning are my caster numbers, but looking at it do we have mid 7s to begin with??

Also, does anyone know if somewhere between Tennessee and Colorado (closer to TN the better) that will stock (preferably aem over oem) VW parts? It's liveable, but the vibrations and pulling to the right are pretty bad.

Last edited:

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Alignment shop said my rear tie rods (?) are rusted solid and I'll need new ones to adjust my toe, but they aligned what they could free of charge. I have -.17° toe on the RL 😳
View attachment 173694
Also concerning are my caster numbers, but looking at it do we have mid 7s to begin with??

Also, does anyone know if somewhere between Tennessee and Colorado (closer to TN the better) that will stock (preferably aem over oem) VW parts? It's liveable, but the vibrations and pulling to the right are pretty bad.

Not sure on parts in the area.... But they did about absolutely nothing to the alignment. The caster is alright but those numbers may give you a pull towards the right. A lot of crappy front end shops are toe and go guys. You could get that camber even'd up super easy and then get your toe right and I think you'd be happy with it.

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
Not sure on parts in the area.... But they did about absolutely nothing to the alignment. The caster is alright but those numbers may give you a pull towards the right. A lot of crappy front end shops are toe and go guys. You could get that camber even'd up super easy and then get your toe right and I think you'd be happy with it.
It's mostly the toe that I'm worried about, wouldn't that amount of toe out in the back be problematic, especially on just one wheel? And he was saying he couldn't adjust it.
I'm not necessarily sure I know what I'm talking about. Alignment is one facet of automotive repair I know nothing about.

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
Guy at Volkswagen said that if what they're saying is true, it's probably the adjustment bolt nut (?) that's seized and might need me to cut it out. I'm not worried about parts, I have them on my parts car at home, I was just hoping for a quick solution. I'll live, though.
That said, they didn't put it on the lift and check AFAIK so it might still be fixable 🤷🏼‍♂️

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
It's mostly the toe that I'm worried about, wouldn't that amount of toe out in the back be problematic, especially on just one wheel? And he was saying he couldn't adjust it.
I'm not necessarily sure I know what I'm talking about. Alignment is one facet of automotive repair I know nothing about.

It's not a huge amount but toe will wear the tire fastest. Those numbers in the rear is why your thrust angle is off also. It will feather edge the tire when toe is out, if it's really bad it will eat it in like hundreds of miles. All of the factory adjustments on the rear are eccentric bolts. So they must be really rusty or they were lazy af.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
I hate to tell you this, but I'd head to the dealer & let them do it. They will have the parts. If you continue with it like that I wonder how many tires you'll go through. You have a very long way yet to go. It will cost you, but be cheaper in the long run. Wonder if that's why your GTI handled like a drunken skate board.

Phur

Autocross Champion
The fog can definitely be legit in those mountains. We have encountered the same thing on the Blue Ridge Parkway. What did you think of the pig tail bridge? That shit is just awesome. I look forward to more pictures and video. Keep us updated. That way we can be vacationing vicariously through you. :D Stay safe out there! No more skateboarding! ;)

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
I hate to tell you this, but I'd head to the dealer & let them do it. They will have the parts. If you continue with it like that I wonder how many tires you'll go through. You have a very long way yet to go. It will cost you, but be cheaper in the long run. Wonder if that's why your GTI handled like a drunken skate board.

^^^^^^ I definitely concur with this. ^^^^^^^ It would be different if you were heading back, and just a few hours from home. I'd say just wing it and be careful, you'll be fine. But you're on the outbound of this long trip. I would have the nearest dealer give the car a detailed inspection before proceeding further.

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
Yeah, that's what I was hoping to do, but they're all packed. I think I'll call ahead for one a state away so I can schedule an appointment. It drives okay, but even with a good alignment, I have 9k more miles, some of which will be aggressively driven, on used tires - that's enough to wear through a set. Add in my bad alignment and I'm SOL. I'll definitely be making an appointment.
The fog can definitely be legit in those mountains. We have encountered the same thing on the Blue Ridge Parkway. What did you think of the pig tail bridge? That shit is just awesome. I look forward to more pictures and video. Keep us updated. That way we can be vacationing vicariously through you. :D Stay safe out there! No more skateboarding! ;)
I'm not sure about the bridge your talking about. I had to break off way sooner than I wanted, after only about 150 miles, in order to make dry weather at TOTD. I probably missed it 🙁 but this is a trip I want to make again, bringing my GF along with me.
Wonder if that's why your GTI handled like a drunken skate board.
Unfortunately I can't blame it on the car. It handled better than I ever could've imagined. User error 100%.