GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Ultimate "Driver's" Road Trip

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Nothing like picking the best driving roads in the country and tackling them with severe alignment issues and seized tie rods. You are a true VW driver that is for sure. Did you really not get under the car and look everything over before heading out? Or were you like, 'well it drives decent to the 7-11 and no leaks so im good' :unsure: ?

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
I had my state inspection two weeks before I left, my alignment was done when I got my summers on in April, and I performed a ton of maintenance on the engine (coils, plugs, oil, two coolant flushes, intake cleaned, intake manifold replaced, valves cleaned, injectors cleaned) and replaced rear pads, rotors, and calipers, all maintenance done within a week of leaving.
The alignment was fine before the incident, and no one would have tried to adjust the bolt unless they were adjusting the alignment, therefore never finding out that it can't be adjusted. I live in NH, where rust on a bolt is normal so a visual inspection of something that is meant to turn means nothing.
It's a situation where I would never have checked it, because you would need to check every single bolt and nut to do so 🤷🏼‍♂️ it's also hardly a setback, I'm just gonna have a small stop at some point.
And if there's one thing I'm a princess about, it's a car that drives properly. If there's a problem, I fix it.

Last edited:

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Wow, subbed. I wish I thought of this like a month ago!

Good luck and enjoy, this looks like a blast. (y)

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
in4updates.

godspeed, dude.

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
Day 3: bought a tarp.
Yeah today was a giant sack of nothing. Not every day can be TOTD. Which seems good, for my car's sake.
Aside from the alignment issues, nothing bad really happened today.
Started halfway between Knoxville and Nashville. Cruising I-40 wasn't as bad as I expected, I can say. They're just straight, but not miserable like Jersey.
IMG_20200518_201516.jpg

Saw one of those Carvana towers
IMG_20200518_201857.jpg

Had some Cool Story Bro moments, one after another. But before Memphis, a Challenger popped up from a ramp and started going right away. So I chased after him. Caught up and we chased each other for a little. He went for a pull from 65, 70 and I gapped him. I'm cases like this I always think the other guy must not be full throttle, must not be trying. :iono: he vanished and almost immediately (I thought it was still him) his place was taken by a slick Chevy SS. Same story, different car. Well then he scurried off to wherever highway friends go and I ran into a CTS-V and I thought "well this is it. This is the hill I die on." But the CTS-V want having any of it and left me to make whooshy noises by myself.

Oh and at some point I bought a tarp to rig up as a rain fly for the hammock👍🏼 not that I'm gonna use it for the next few days because I'm going into nothing country. Gonna be rest stops for me, probably until Colorado.

Weirdly my alignment is driving pretty straight now. Straight for around 5 or 6 seconds then it slowly drifts right, which really isn't bad for any car that doesn't have a perfect alignment. But the toe and camber are still a problem. If I can't make an appointment for tomorrow I'm going to rotate my tires using our stock jack (been nice knowing y'all). I'll probably just swap the rears with each other because of the uneven toe. When I get halfway or so I'll swap front with rears, but my fronts have a significant amount of tread left. I took the rears of my parts car and slapped those, balanced, on the front, so my full set is like new.

I almost forgot the coolest part! I was in... Shit, I think outside Nashville? Anyway, I saw this guy after chasing a modded A5 for a bit:
IMG_20200518_142016.jpg
IMG_20200518_142018.jpg

And just a little note: if anyone is worried about my phone usage whilst driving to take these photos, I barely put more effort than I would to change gear. Grab my phone, double tap the lock button (opens the camera), clock and hold one of the volume buttons (takes a burst), put it away. Then I go through and pick the best of the bunch when I'm posting.

Jump to next day: day four

Last edited:

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Day 3: bought a tarp.
Yeah today was a giant sack of nothing. Not every day can be TOTD. Which seems good, for my car's sake.
Aside from the alignment issues, nothing bad really happened today.
Started halfway between Knoxville and Nashville. Cruising I-40 wasn't as bad as I expected, I can say. They're just straight, but not miserable like Jersey.
View attachment 173755
Saw one of those Carvana towers
View attachment 173754
Had some Cool Story Bro moments, one after another. But before Memphis, a Challenger popped up from a ramp and started going right away. So I chased after him. Caught up and we chased each other for a little. He went for a pull from 65, 70 and I gapped him. I'm cases like this I always think the other guy must not be full throttle, must not be trying. :iono: he vanished and almost immediately (I thought it was still him) his place was taken by a slick Chevy SS. Same story, different car. Well then he scurried off to wherever highway friends go and I ran into a CTS-V and I thought "well this is it. This is the hill I die on." But the CTS-V want having any of it and left me to make whooshy noises by myself.

Oh and at some point I bought a tarp to rig up as a rain fly for the hammock👍🏼 not that I'm gonna use it for the next few days because I'm going into nothing country. Gonna be rest stops for me, probably until Colorado.

Weirdly my alignment is driving pretty straight now. Straight for around 5 or 6 seconds then it slowly drifts right, which really isn't bad for any car that doesn't have a perfect alignment. But the toe and camber are still a problem. If I can't make an appointment for tomorrow I'm going to rotate my tires using our stock jack (been nice knowing y'all). I'll probably just swap the rears with each other because of the uneven toe. When I get halfway or so I'll swap front with rears, but my fronts have a significant amount of tread left. I took the rears of my parts car and slapped those, balanced, on the front, so my full set is like new.

I almost forgot the coolest part! I was in... Shit, I think outside Nashville? Anyway, I saw this guy after chasing a modded A5 for a bit:
View attachment 173752View attachment 173753

And just a little note: if anyone is worried about my phone usage whilst driving to take these photos, I barely put more effort than I would to change gear. Grab my phone, double tap the lock button (opens the camera), clock and hold one of the volume buttons (takes a burst), put it away. Then I go through and pick the best of the bunch when I'm posting.
Stop by Hattie B's in Nashville for the best hot chicken sandwich you'll ever have in your life tomorrow!

::::Lives vicariously through you::::

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
great shit my man! I have been 2 Colorado twice,Arkansas, Oklahoma and near Mexico camping in my hammock during this quarantine.
Love it!

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
Stop by Hattie B's in Nashville for the best hot chicken sandwich you'll ever have in your life tomorrow!

::::Lives vicariously through you::::
Damn, I'm already through Nashville, I'm near Little Rock. I'll have to start paying where I'm going so I can get recommendations ahead of time.
great shit my man! I have been 2 Colorado twice,Arkansas, Oklahoma and near Mexico camping in my hammock during this quarantine.
Love it!
Oh really? Where do you find places to put it up? That's what I've been having trouble with

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
Damn, I'm already through Nashville, I'm near Little Rock. I'll have to start paying where I'm going so I can get recommendations ahead of time.

Oh really? Where do you find places to put it up? That's what I've been having trouble with
I don't stop till I'm in the middle of no where. I sleep with a pistol just incase. Here is my mexico adventure about 3-4 weeks ago
And one from Colorado. Which if you go off of highway 12 highway of legends there are many places to camp for free. Watch out for all the wild life at dusk-dawn

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
Colorado outside of Trinidad in the mountians. And on from del Rio by Mexico. Got a blow out crossing a creek bed 40-50 min from nearest gas station

Attachments

• 20200502_164636.jpg
    20200502_164636.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 118
  • 20200427_190626.jpg
    20200427_190626.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 120

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
It's mostly Kansas I'm worried about. I'll be able to find somewhere in Colorado, there's plenty of trees, but damn that's beautiful.
My problem is with Kansas. Pretty much all the land is private and last thing I need is a shotgun pointed at me.
Do you look at maps and just pick out spots that look good and try it? Do you wing it (and have better luck than me)?

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
Yes, i head for a designated area and just find a spot. I don't ever make plans.
Yea, Kansas is fucked, east of the continental divide is trash. Maybe tie off to some corn stalks! (Lol)
You can always hang at a rest stop off the highway. Not ideal but somewhat safe due to all the traffic

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
also, I don't have any back seats and have a foam mat. I'm 5'8 and can sleep in back of my car. Not preferable but it works.
I too run a line above my hammock and stake the corners down making a tent

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
I left my back seats up so I could partition some cargo, and keep it from sliding forward during heavy braking. I knock the seat back and honestly I'm comfyIMG_20200518_232036.jpgIMG_20200518_232042.jpgIMG_20200518_232123.jpgIMG_20200518_232833.jpg
If anyone's doing this, take off the head rest. I didn't do it the night prior, and I sleep so much better last night. I have my sleeping bag underneath my pillow to raise it up.
Oh also, how are your PS4s? I was thinking of getting those as my next tire, but after how my Continentals performed at TOTD I'm not convinced I need the absolute best because I might just be spending money and gaining nothing at that point.

Last edited:

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
My problem is with Kansas. Pretty much all the land is private and last thing I need is a shotgun pointed at me.
Do you look at maps and just pick out spots that look good and try it? Do you wing it (and have better luck than me)?
You can always hang at a rest stop off the highway. Not ideal but somewhat safe due to all the traffic

There's a time and place for everything, Cole. At this point I'm thinking you would probably appreciate a nice hot shower and comfy bed. Perfect time and place to head for an overnight in a hotel.