GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Ultimate "Driver's" Road Trip

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
While I'm here waiting I'm gonna put up a couple clips on YT with my wreck and overheating brakes. I also realized I haven't yet posted pics of my wicked car layout, so they're below, and I'm also editing them into the OP.
IMG_20200519_103304.jpg
IMG_20200519_103308.jpg

My command center. The see-through box is any stuff I might need on hand: pocket knife, masks, chargers, battery packs, GoPro stuff, speakers, headphones, wallets.
IMG_20200519_103320.jpg
IMG_20200519_103339.jpg

So I modified the cargo net from the hatch to function in the back seat. It's hooked into the child seat hooks behind the seat and the lower seat belt rail (for those 4dr owners, it's a rail that 2dr seat belts slide on to make back seat access easier. Look where my shoes are in the bottom of the above pic). The paracord tied to the seat belt rail has 3 different loops on it so I can tighten the load down for tight roads - the reason there's other settings is this puts strain on the net and I don't want to break it.
IMG_20200519_103347.jpg

That tote is packed solid with emergency equipment. I have some pics below. Blanket covers the stove because it won't stop fucking rattling. 5 gallon water container; I take the melted I've from my cooler and drain it into this, then I use my MSR filter to pump into my water bottles. There's a tool kit behind the container, pics below. This is also where I'm keeping the parts that fall off my car and the spoiler extension I bought on the way. Ratchet straps to tether everything down.
IMG_20200507_181632.jpg

All the tools I'm bringing. I legitimately can't think of what I couldn't fix. I have nearly every tool I used in removing my engine, though I parsed down the sizings:
  • 10, 13, 14, 16, 17, 19mm in everything (I broke those cheap HF wrenches after this pic and replaced them with an Icon set).
  • T20, 25, 30 for sockets and T-handles, plus T40 for sockets (A/C).
  • 4, 4.5, 5, and 6mm Allen keys, plus the one I need for my plate mount.
Also note the flexible hose clamp pliers. Of any of these tools, this is the most likely I will need. Fucking life savers, you need to invest in them.
IMG_20200507_183451.jpgIMG_20200507_183705.jpg
Everything that didn't fit in this tackle box went in my tool bag.
IMG_20200507_184523.jpg

My emergency kit. This was first revision, I took things out and put things in. Coolant started leaking everywhere, plus I put OEM coolant in before the trip, so it's out. Note the subtle curve to my breaker bar, from bashing it off the fucking ground when I couldn't get my calipers loose.
IMG_20200512_180236.jpg

This is what's under my load floor. All this for in without any modification, except for in the top left with my breaker bar. You can see one torque wrench, which is the one I need for anything over 100ft-lbs. Not pictured is my digital torque wrench for things below that. Impact gun + 2 5.0amp batteries. A bunch of plastic bags tucked behind the wheel (which is inflated and inspected).

Last edited:

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
Are they gonna do the alignment with all that stuff in the car or ask you take it out?
I hadn't considered that... I guess I'd rather it be done with everything in. That's the weight I'm driving for the next 7k+ miles, I can get it realigned after all this.

Also, VW said for sure that toe arm eccentric bolt is fucked. I explained I'll be ordering parts to a shop further along the trip, and he recommended I spray some penetrating oil on it in the meantime. They also topped off my coolant and said there's no leaks, brakes are 7/8, tires 5/8. Agreed I should rotate the rears if I'm driving awhile before repairs.

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
If going through Texas, check these out: Roads, Parks, More parks

Roads:
Ranch Road 965 & Willow City Loop
Rebecca Creek Road (getting more populated, used to be better)
Devil's Backbone (take Purgatory Rd for shorter drive, 484 to 306 for longer/windy drive)
Twisted Sisters
Lonesome Highway (FM 349, population of 900, road is all yours for 60mi)
Texas 118 from Alpine to Interstate 10 (amazing)

Attractions:
Palo Duro Canyon (Grand Canyon of TX)
Big Bend (breathtaking but borders Mexico so might be waaaay out of the way)
Davis Mountains (great for stargazing/camping, observatory, Texas 118)
Garner State Park (beautiful area with good roads around it)
Enchanted Rock (good views, camping/stargazing, RR 965 & Willow City Loop)
Guadalupe Peak (Lonesome hwy, highest point in TX 8,751 ft)

I'll get off my hillbilly soapbox now :ROFLMAO:
I wish. I love Texas, but it's so far out of the way I couldn't reason it. I'll definitely be back eventually, just probably not with my personal car.

torga

Autocross Champion
Nowhere near as long/fun as OP, but I'll be heading out on a drive of my own this Friday. I'm moving to Seattle from Albuquerque, so I'll be heading north and passing through Farmington, NM, passing through Utah's SLC area, bunking for the night in Idaho, then continuing on through NE Oregon until finally crossing into Washington. Just two days.

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
Nowhere near as long/fun as OP, but I'll be heading out on a drive of my own this Friday. I'm moving to Seattle from Albuquerque, so I'll be heading north and passing through Farmington, NM, passing through Utah's SLC area, bunking for the night in Idaho, then continuing on through NE Oregon until finally crossing into Washington. Just two days.
Make sure you tie shit down so you can send it around bends. I have some roads bookmarked in Idaho and Oregon that are supposedly nice. I'll see if I can't pull up my map quest and send you it. Also I'm jealous you're going through SLC, I'm thinking of how to detour there

torga

Autocross Champion
Make sure you tie shit down so you can send it around bends. I have some roads bookmarked in Idaho and Oregon that are supposedly nice. I'll see if I can't pull up my map quest and send you it. Also I'm jealous you're going through SLC, I'm thinking of how to detour there
I'll have my cat with me and I don't wanna give her automotive PTSD. So I won't be going full Takumi Fujiwara.
But please send the recommendations! A pretty drive is a pretty drive, fast or slow.

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
I wish. I love Texas, but it's so far out of the way I couldn't reason it. I'll definitely be back eventually, just probably not with my personal car.
No worries man, definitely come back though! Some of those roads are absolutely incredible.

You could honestly spend a week easily in TX. Half of it might actually just be driving from one place to the other haha

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
Alright I have two more things to add then I promise I'm putting my phone down 😂 when I get my car back, since I have WiFi I'm gonna *try* to get the videos uploaded, but I'm not gonna wait around too long.
The other thing is a picture of all the parts I've pulled off my car so far 🙈
IMG_20200519_091826.jpg

I had to keep trimming away at my passenger skid tray. The air duct and front clip (and my bumper that now doesn't sit flush 😭) are from when I pulled off the road night 1 and dipped my FR tire into soft ground and got stuck.
Also, shop knocked off $30 from the diag for me so that's awesome. If y'all are in Little Rock, Owens Murphy VW 👍🏼
@torga here's the map quest for my PCH-Bonneville leg. There's an old Idaho route ("old" route 95, not actual 95) that's supposedly like... well fuck, I can't think of one of the most iconic European driving roads. Anyway, like that. Also there's a part of NE Oregon I specifically do a loop of that I was recommended. The other random drive is hells canyon which is a dead end to a dam but supposedly worth the drive.
Screenshot_20200519-141421.pngScreenshot_20200519-141515.pngScreenshot_20200519-141527.png
Also I miss my cat, she's 19 and I gave her lots of hugs before I left
IMG_20200426_133002.jpg

torga

Autocross Champion
@torga here's the map quest for my PCH-Bonneville leg. There's an old Idaho route ("old" route 95, not actual 95) that's supposedly like... well fuck, I can't think of one of the most iconic European driving roads. Anyway, like that. Also there's a part of NE Oregon I specifically do a loop of that I was recommended. The other random drive is hells canyon which is a dead end to a dam but supposedly worth the drive.
View attachment 173837View attachment 173838View attachment 173839
Also I miss my cat, she's 19 and I gave her lots of hugs before I left
View attachment 173841
All those look like a lot of fun! I could potentially do one of the first two routes, but the third one is a bit out of the way. I'll see how I'm feeling early Saturday morning.

Yours is beautiful! Love the calicos. Mine is only 2 years old, but she's scared of almost anything. I'm sure she'll be behind the pass. seat most of the time.
IMG_20200421_125828-01.jpeg

KollinWithaK

Autocross Champion
Subbed cause cats.

Off-topic, I remember talking about this a couple of months ago, safe travels!

Glad to see this thread taking off. Exciting to see more pictures and do more reading while I should be working from home.

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
So I made an appointment for Monday in Pueblo, CO and I have Megan Racing toe arms and some install hardware en route. I'll likely need additional hardware but we'll see.
I actually picked Megan Racing for a reason: back when I got my Scion tC, it came with a Megan Racing exhaust on it (not a fart can, mind you), and if that exhaust didn't make me the boy racer I am today, I don't know what did.

Yours is beautiful! Love the calicos. Mine is only 2 years old, but she's scared of almost anything. I'm sure she'll be behind the pass. seat most of the time.
View attachment 173845
Aw, she's cute. Mine hates drives, too

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
So I made an appointment for Monday in Pueblo, CO and I have Megan Racing toe arms and some install hardware en route. I'll likely need additional hardware but we'll see.
I actually picked Megan Racing for a reason: back when I got my Scion tC, it came with a Megan Racing exhaust on it (not a fart can, mind you), and if that exhaust didn't make me the boy racer I am today, I don't know what did.

Aw, she's cute. Mine hates drives, too
A few of my track friends use Megan toe arms and have no complaints. I personally went with voodoo13 which uses a heim joint and a poly bushing instead of rubber. Can't compare them though, performance is prob the same 🤷‍♂️

torga

Autocross Champion
No one has asked one of the most important questions.

What kinda tunes you bumpin?