GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Ultimate "Driver's" Road Trip

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
Definitely! I realized Austin was only 8 hours from where I was. I just wish I had thought of it sooner because now I have to go to Colorado for my repair
Its a shitty drive from Colorado to Texas. Once out of Colorado its long flat and desolate through New Mexico and up by the pan handle. Hill county down by Austin is beautiful!
If you bring "anything " back from Colorado don't be speeding into new Mexico.

I went on a 10 day hike in Alaskan back country. We were surrounded by brown bear (gigantic bears). Very scary, was trout fishing and had one come out of the alder bushes 20ft from me.
Started yelling at it and backing away.
Scary shit

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
Brown bears are no fucking joke. In NH we mostly get black bears and they're just giant curious scaredy cats. Alaskan brown bears specifically are the largest land predator in North America, and they don't play nice either.
And I would never bring "specialty goods" out of where they're legal... I would especially not have been carrying and partaking in the consumption of said goods most nights this whole trip 🤫

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
When I see a Bear in real life
bdf7a6a7b4384abf605a1cb4169a0f1b.jpg

chitown

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
Day 5: the day I COULDN'T FIND ANY FUCKING GAS, WHAT THE FUCK IS 92 OCTANE

i knew this was gonna be a travel day. I made 700 miles today. I drove up to Missouri but I decided I wanted to get to somewhere where I could actually find gas I need.
I went to 13 different gas stations today. Only one had anything above 91 Octane, and it was 92? Wtf even is 92? Anyway, I think my car runs fine on 91, so it's probably a 91 tune, but I would rather be safe than sorry.
IMG_20200520_193520.jpg

Most of the drive was hundreds of miles on a straight-ish road, and I was already getting bored after a couple miles. Then a C6 Vette came up from behind and we started going. Eventually we did a pull from, I don't know, 70? I had the better acceleration to start, but he closed the gap and shut the door before I knew what happened. I still held on for awhile, until we hit my top speed 😳
After that though we just cruised the rest of the time, probably 2 or 3 hours. Can't imagine how bored I'd have been without him.
We parted ways, and an hour later I ran into a Camaro. Now this driver was a middle-aged lady driving an SS like a badass. She didn't want to race, but she was flying with me for an hour or more.
IMG_20200520_200014.jpg

All today made me want to do was get a Corvette. The C6 is and has been one of my favorite affordable cars. For my second car I want to get a track car, and I'm looking at a few different options: a Miata shell with a disassembled engine for 600, a kit car (DF Goblin or Factory Five 818C), or something with more cylinders. Best way to get a track car with now cylinders for cheap is Corvette, a totaled one off Copart.

Also decided I'm gonna change the plans. I'm gonna try to visit all 48 states now. We'll see how it works out logistically. I may need to buy some new tires before it's over.

Oh and I finally got to use my tarp. Check it:
IMG_20200520_220533.jpg
IMG_20200520_220557.jpg
Snapchat-1942487404.jpg
IMG_20200520_221011.jpg

Jump to next day: day six

Last edited:

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Remind me, what's your exhaust setup? Was thinking about your turbo flutter and I wonder if your wastegate is crapping out. Would explain some of the noise I heard when we did vagcom things a while back.

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
Catless downpipe, stock catback. I also thought it was wastegate rattle, but the videos I looked up sound nothing like it. The sounds only happens on liftoff while in boost. Maybe only while building boost.
And my blow off valve has two noises: it will usually just go whoosh, but upshifting at full throttle and high revs will make it flutter. But that's a very different flutter.
The noises also sounds like they're coming from two different places, but I can't really gauge position from inside the cabin. The BOV dumps down and I can hear it almost behind me. This new flutter sounds like it's coming from in front, and I can only hear from the driver's window (but obviously that's what I'm closest to, so it could be central) but there's no turbo parts on the driver's side. It's kinda puzzling.
If it's the BOV, it's either breaking in or coming loose. However I'm not losing any boost so I don't think it's loose

torga

Autocross Champion
Its a shitty drive from Colorado to Texas. Once out of Colorado its long flat and desolate through New Mexico and up by the pan handle. Hill county down by Austin is beautiful!
If you bring "anything " back from Colorado don't be speeding into new Mexico.
Can confirm, anything south of Taos on NM I-25 is desolate. Though, there are plenty of windy roads up some of the mountains around there that are very nice drives.
I've driven at least a dozen times between Albuquerque and DFW on I-40/US-287 and that drive is even worse. To add insult to injury, you hit a wonderful slaughter house somewhere outside Amarillo and the stench of cow dung practically burns itself into your nostrils and cabin air filter.

torga

Autocross Champion
Day 5: the day I COULDN'T FIND ANY FUCKING GAS, WHAT THE FUCK IS 92 OCTANE

i knew this was gonna be a travel day. I made 700 miles today. I drove up to Missouri but I decided I wanted to get to somewhere where I could actually find gas I need.
I went to 13 different gas stations today. Only one had anything above 91 Octane, and it was 92? Wtf even is 92? Anyway, I think my car runs fine on 91, so it's probably a 91 tune, but I would rather be safe than sorry.
You aren't gonna find 93 almost anywhere west of NM/CO, because of the average elevation around here.

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
Fake news! I have a can of whipped cream with me and I haven't once done that!
You aren't gonna find 93 almost anywhere west of NM/CO, because of the average elevation around here.
Good to know. I try to keep one bottle of octane booster on me, but I'll keep a few. I don't know if the stuff actually works but it makes me feel better about putting the wrong stuff in

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Fake news! I have a can of whipped cream with me and I haven't once done that!

Good to know. I try to keep one bottle of octane booster on me, but I'll keep a few. I don't know if the stuff actually works but it makes me feel better about putting the wrong stuff in

Then you're not using the whipping cream right. ;)

I may be wrong, I often am, but I thought at the higher elevations that the highest of octane wasn't needed.

Since you are going to Colorado I'll recommend driving up Mt Evans, great road & in my opinion it beats Pikes Peak. They ruined Pikes Peak when they paved it although Mt Evans is paved too. Be careful coming down off those mountains. Hot brakes fail. Engine braking is your friend.

Safe travels. (y)