GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Ultimate "Driver's" Road Trip

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
Day 8: I had a good title I swear
IMG_20200524_093839.jpg

Dirty car 😍 I have a soft spot for dirty cars, they look happy
Woke up this morning with the goal of fixing my shifter, and by god I did it. Sort of. As I'm typing this I've already "lost" second again so I'll need to redo it in the morning. Basically, the plate that received the shifter cables and hold them against the transmission was missing one of two bolts and the one that was there was extremely loose. A quick tighten and it's back to perfectish. Still vibrates violently, but it's shifting normally now.
I then head straight to Pikes Peak, and boy was it a pretty ride.
IMG_20200524_124741.jpg

I actually saw more GTIs on this mountain than I've seen every other day combined! There was a 4dr that was just like me, then a red Mk7. I actually drove up with a white Mk7 and a beautiful stanced Charger. Track was widened on wider tires, and it was lowered about as much as mine. Perfect flush. GTI seemed stock.
It was pretty slow going up but in the way down we were able to get a few sections of raging in. Pretty fun.
IMG_20200524_112426.jpg
IMG_20200524_112547.jpg

Somewhere along the way I got this hilarious selfie
Snapchat-1905736473.jpg

That's my go-to mask, though I definitely choose not to wear it in places where people aren't wearing masks to begin with. I also have some cloth ones and some disposable ones.
Went back to Manitou Springs to get a souvenir for the gf. Saw this near where I parked
IMG_20200524_130246.jpg

I'm always a sucker for a LanEvo, even if it's one of the later ones (4-6 are basically unarguably the best).
Then it was off to Texas! I knew I wasn't going to make it where I needed to go, just make progress, so I set off for Abilene and let future me worry about it.
IMG_20200524_160032_MP.jpg

Also, I saw some insane cars today: the Charger and Evo X to start. Then I saw a Ferrari F12Berlinetta?? In nowhere New Mexico??? It was oncoming so I didn't get a shot of it but it startled me. I saw a California the day prior but those aren't special.
Hour or so later...
IMG_20200524_161130.jpg

Now I don't know if this is a true Alpina or just some parts but holy shit this surprised me.
IMG_20200524_161920.jpg

And finally... Texas. I fucking love Texas. I went to Austin for a convention 3 years in a row, and by the end I was going more for the city than the convention. The air hits different, I'm telling you. And it happened again here. I'd already been in Texas for an hour or so, but then we slowed from highway speeds so I opened my windows and BOOM Texas air. Unmistakeable. Warm, lightly breezy. Not heavy, not thin, mucky. A nice dry, appropriately dense air that's just warm. I don't know why but at the time it smelled like finger paints and it was really pleasant 😄 and the sunset, oh my god. I have videos that are better than this pic but these forms hate uploading videos and I'm too lazy right now.
IMG_20200524_210518.jpg

Anyway, here I am at a rest stop near Abilene. Tomorrow I go to a certain place in Oklahoma, then onto Austin

Jump to next day: day nine

Last edited:

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Cole2999 glad you have your shifter working better. Love your pictures.

As far as your GPS goes it will get you in trouble if you blindly follow it. In an urban setting they can be great, out in the sticks it can & will get you in real trouble. I use one as a map, but never let it give me directions & tell me where to go.

You need maps, I use the DeLorme map books for each state I drive through, incredible detail. Being old I love paper maps & books. In a pinch you can use them to start a fire or as toilet paper. :D

Safe travels! (y)

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
I thought I was the old man here. Kinda relieved to not be.
Whenever I see your profile pic I just imagine you're actually Jeff Goldblum and it makes me a little happier.

I'm trying to order a bunch of parts today, mostly shifter related:
  • 034 pendulum mount
  • CTS insert
  • 2 new shifter cable bracket bolts (apparently there's 3, not 2. I'm really playing with fire)
  • Linkage bushings (vertical and horizontal)
  • Billet linkage arms
  • OBDeleven PRO for Android
I wanted to also order a whole new IE shifter plate with preinstalled aluminum bushings, but it's delayed. I may still do it and pick it up further on, but I think what I've got on order should do the trick.
Problem is, no place is open today. I'm trying to call mailing services to make sure they can receive my packages but they're all closed for memorial day. I'll have to try tomorrow

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
Glad to help you out. I'm old, but not dead yet. Age is justa number. I know people half my age who act much older than I do. Remember you do have to grow old, but you don't have to grow up. ;)
True, dat.
You need maps, I use the DeLorme map books for each state I drive through, incredible detail. Being old I love paper maps & books. In a pinch you can use them to start a fire or as toilet paper. :D

You're funny. So true, though, I absolutely LOVE paper maps, I have a lot of the Rand-Mcnally, older ones and newer ones. I don't use them as toilet paper, lol....I know you're kidding. (right?? o_O ) But I have often torn pages out for ease of use for a specific area instead of fumbling with a large book. I haven't seen DeLorme, going to have to check them out, thanks. With a good paper map, I don't have to worry about losing service. ANYWHERE. I think the GPS and Google maps are fine up to a point, but they can get seriously out of whack in more rural or rugged areas. Wouldn't trust them there. Even in more established areas, I've sometimes found they lead you to dead ends, or canals or lakes that can't be crossed, just weird crap. Give me a real paper map, every time.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Those map books aren't cheap, but if you buy them a few at a time it isn't too bad. You can find them through used book sellers too.
DeLorme

I wouldn't use them as TP, heck that's too expensive & can you image what a staple will do to your exit shoot? Yikes!

All this talk of BBQ has me getting hungry. Sweet Italian sausage smothered in onions & peppers will have to do.

Back on topic..... Road Trip!

Last edited:

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Glad youre narrowing down your shifter problems. Good luck on the rest of your travels, and get that tensioner changed out when you get home.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Nah it feels just like when I installed the new motor again, which is to say extremely crisp and precise, but quick accel/liftoff still rattles it. I'm going to buy the 034 pendulum mount, an ECS dogbone insert, a new bracket bolt, and an OBDeleven, do some repairs in Vegas prob. I also need to do an oil change today or tomorrow, my oil's looking black. It's not too concerning that it's only been 4500 miles, because I used LiquiMoly flush (first oil change on this engine) and a LiquiMoly ceramic additive so there's probably extra loose sediment from the flush.
I bought a new jack (the one @1ashchuckton recommended) but now I need stands. Couldn't get them at HF because, y'know... Death and all. I gotta remember to return mine when I get home; I did my whole engine swap on them 😳 anyone have recommendations for cheap jack stands? I'm thinking Walmart
Avoid duralast. I'm not impressed with mine and i know someone who has had one break on them before. My next ones will look something like this, but not from ECS: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwaben-parts/aluminum-3-ton-jack-stands-pair/005945sch01a/ the design makes it seem sturdier than the other styles.

KollinWithaK

Autocross Champion

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
Who ya ordering from just out of curiosity? :)
Need to use ECS to get a few of their parts and the replacement bolts, then I'm gonna use Uro for the mount, insert, obd11.
I really want to next day air the 2 shifter bolts but it's $33. But there's so much play in that bracket. I wonder if that might actually be the only cause for the violent shaking, and not the pendulum? Oh well I want to get rid of it anyway, I'm putting too much per down with aftermarket motor/trans mounts, sketches me out. That said, it'd save me $230... I'll prob order that second if my problem isn't fixed with this other shifter equipment.

Planning on hitting up any BBQ joints in Texas?
When in Rome... But also texmex 🤤🤤🤤 def more my jam. Fuck I'm hungry