GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bringing an MK6 back from the grave - My Mk6 Story

trev1342

Go Kart Champion

Nice! Really nice! And congrats again!! :thumbup:

ToMMyGuN

Go Kart Champion
I added the seat handle inserts last night, they add more than I thought they would. The handles look nice now (and not as cheap) - awesome $8 mod.

After driving the RDX for a while, I am amazed at the awd system's impact on snowy driving. The Aztek was ok in the snow, by man this rdx is awesome in it. I can floor it on a snowy road and blast straight to 80mph without issues. The traction control software is awesome, it keeps you in a straight line even while mashing the throttle.

It makes me even more sure that I am done with FWD after the gti. I am looking at the new s3 and the new golf r for my next car, probably somewhere in 2016-17. They both have the haldex awd system, and supposedly the s3 will get north of 34mpg on the hwy. My gti is awesome, but my next car will be rwd/awd for sure (most likely awd).

I have been jonesing extra bad for a tune lately, but it would be pointless in this weather. Does APR have a spring sale?

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
I added the seat handle inserts last night, they add more than I thought they would. The handles look nice now (and not as cheap) - awesome $8 mod.

After driving the RDX for a while, I am amazed at the awd system's impact on snowy driving. The Aztek was ok in the snow, by man this rdx is awesome in it. I can floor it on a snowy road and blast straight to 80mph without issues. The traction control software is awesome, it keeps you in a straight line even while mashing the throttle.

It makes me even more sure that I am done with FWD after the gti. I am looking at the new s3 and the new golf r for my next car, probably somewhere in 2016-17. They both have the haldex awd system, and supposedly the s3 will get north of 34mpg on the hwy. My gti is awesome, but my next car will be rwd/awd for sure (most likely awd).

I have been jonesing extra bad for a tune lately, but it would be pointless in this weather. Does APR have a spring sale?

yep, this was last years picture for it..thought it was a cool icon

ToMMyGuN

Go Kart Champion
Also, side note on the RDX - the engine is phenomenal. Tons of power (even down low, which I was surprised by), sounds suprisingly great, and gets awesome fuel economy. The tranny is another story.. i guess I am used to the DSG, but this slushbox is totally meh. Its not terrible, but its not great. This car with a ZF 8 speed would be amazing, powertrain-wise.

The suspension is tuned for sporty comfort, and steering is crazy light, but overall its very comfortable.

The real winner is the engine, which is sadly let down by the tranny. The awd system is what it is, and it works well at its intended function.

Overall, I am still very happy with the RDX as a second/wife's car. Smooth and reliable (hopefully) make it a winner, especially for what we paid.

PetrolHead

When's the next track day

RWD is the way to go.

Still, Acura AWD is pretty phenomenal. I'm impressed with it every time I get behind the wheel of one.

FondaleMKVI

I just read this thread in one sitting and it is inspiring. Seriously, you had a mindset and gameplan and didn't let anyone/anything deter you. I know you've heard this a bunch, awesome job!! :clap: :thumbup:

ToMMyGuN

Go Kart Champion
Finally sold the tek today. Feels good to be back down to two cars - now I have a space for my snowblower again!

Some parts of me will miss the 'ole tek. It was a good car for the time we owned it. It stayed in the family though, so I know I haven't seen the last of it. The RDX is a much better car for my wife. The tek was also probably the last Pontiac I'll ever own - some day my kids will ask about it and probably be stunned we owned a couple cars made by a brand that no longer exists. Crazy.

Last edited:

EMaster24

Ready to race!
First of all, unbelievable thread. Hats off to you, and the pics and documentation really made it worth while :w00t:

Now that you have put 20k+ miles on it, and fixed the injector issue... did you get it tuned yet? Are you still thinking about it?

ToMMyGuN

Go Kart Champion
First of all, unbelievable thread. Hats off to you, and the pics and documentation really made it worth while :w00t:

Now that you have put 20k+ miles on it, and fixed the injector issue... did you get it tuned yet? Are you still thinking about it?

Thanks mate, glad people find this stuff as interesting as I do.

This spring will be awesome for my car. I am definitely getting it tuned, and hopefully will be getting some summer tires. We'll see where the stockers are at, but ideally I will be going to summers on the stock wheels and getting some 17's for winter with snows. I may be doing some suspension stuff too, time will tell. Now that my wife is setup with a new car, I think there is some leniency for some gti mods in the budget!

The reason I am waiting until spring is because with just fwd, my car can't get crap for traction right now up in this frozen tundra at stock power levels. Even Stage 1 would literally be useless for the next 4 months, especially with the stock tires. So I will quietly bide my time until we thaw out up here. I may stick with the stock all seasons and get snows next winter, then summer rubber after that, but again it depends on what conditions my stockers are in until then. I will have more than 35k on them before the spring thaw, so I may be able to justify summer rubber this year... it will just make the car that much better!

I think I will start with just stage 1. I wanted to do a down pipe, but I kinda want to ride out the mods a bit. I will probably have this car for at least the next 2 years, so I have plenty of time to enjoy mods slowly. After this car, I am done with fwd. I am thinking s3 right now, but I will have kids by then, so things may change!