GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bringing an MK6 back from the grave - My Mk6 Story

ToMMyGuN

Go Kart Champion
Nice RAMZ! :thumbup:

It's good to see an update here; this is one of my favorite threads. How has the GTI been so far?

Really great! No issues for the past 15k miles. I am getting board though (long winter), so some mods are going to be extra fun now that I can be in my garage without a parka on.

I am going to do an ac system cleanse tonight, I am thinking of making a DIY for it.

trev1342

Go Kart Champion
Really great! No issues for the past 15k miles. I am getting board though (long winter), so some mods are going to be extra fun now that I can be in my garage without a parka on.

I am going to do an ac system cleanse tonight, I am thinking of making a DIY for it.

We are just having our very first warmish days now; and I cannot wait for summer. I will be doing various mods over the summer. How do you plan on doing an AC system cleanse?

trev1342

Go Kart Champion

ToMMyGuN

Go Kart Champion
AC System Cleanse DIY

Alrighty then!

My AC system smelled slightly like dirty, dank feet/socks. If you google this, you will find this is a common problem with mk6's. There are two things that cause this - a stanky cabin air filter and mold/bacteria accumulating on the AC evaporator. Fixing the first problem is easy (replace your filter for under $10 with this charcoal infused one), but the second problem is a bit trickier to solve. I've tried a couple of methods, and I think the one below actually gets to the root of the problem. So without further adieu, let's make your car smell like lemon goodness, not feet.

Supplies needed:

A can of Klima Cleaner
A light source

As an aside, I've tried several kinds of cleaners for this in the past, and Klima seems to be the most effective (as well as smelling the best)

Step 0.1) Follow the instructions for drying your evaporator coils on the back of the Klima Cleaner can

Step 1) Remove the fiberboard under-cover on the passenger side, underneath the glove box (there are two plastic turn-by-hand fasteners holding it up underneath the glove box).

Step 2) Remove the Cabin Air Filter cover by sliding it towards the passenger side wheel. It will slide with a bit of force and come right off

Here is a pic with the cover removed:

Step 3) Remove the Cabin Air Filter. Discard if you are going to replace it (place it anywhere you want to smell like feet).

4) Take your Klima Cleaner tube and feed it up into the cavity towards the center console. This is where your evaporator coils are located. I removed a trim panel so I could easily get this pics, but you don't need to do so:

You can see in the above pic that there is a pressure fitting in plain sight - this feeds the liquid refrigerant into the evaporator to - you guessed it - be evaporated. When the evaporation happens, the refrigerant takes heat out of the ambient environment to complete its phase transition from liquid to gas. As a consequence, you get a cold thing to shoot air past and keep your hinder from swamping up :laugh:

Ok, enough about heat transfer, back to the DIY! Feed your Klima Cleaner tube up into the cavity, and make sure you actually get it up into the evaporator cavity. This isn't as easy as it seems, so make sure you get it right the first time (or you will have to buy more Klima Cleaner).

Step 5) Spray the ENTIRE can of Klima Cleaner into the cavity, pushing and pulling the tube back and forth to better displace the foam being created. It will take longer than you think, right around 3 or 4 minutes of spraying.

Step 6) Wait 20 minutes for the Klima Cleaner to work its magic - you will get a nice big puddle on your garage floor under the drain tube for this cavity.

While waiting, put everything back together, but don't turn the fan on yet.

Step 7) Finish by repeating the drying procedure on the Klima Cleaner can.

Donezo!

Your car should now have a pleasant lemony scent for a while, which will wear off in a few days. For a really stinky car, multiple applications may be necessary, but give it a couple days between applications to see if the feet smell fades away.

trev1342

Go Kart Champion
My car just hit 1,000 awhile ago, and I'm noticing a bit of odor... May have to do this.

NoSpark

Go Kart Champion
You, sir, are the man.

timneedscoffee10

Go Kart Champion
Nice write up - fortunately this is not an issue I've ever had to deal with! So is it just the evaporator coils that build up the mold? I guess I always thought it could be through the entire ventilation system

PetrolHead

When's the next track day
If funds and time allow, I'd go straight to stage 2. Since you don't have to deal with emissions, get a decent catless downpipe, and let the tune take care of the O2 sensor errors and CEL. For the driving that you do, Stage 2 would probably net you the most noticeable gains. It'll also have the added benefit of altering the exhaust note a tad, which is nice since I think the GTI is rather quiet from the factory.

I really think that anything more is too much for FWD.

However, if you want to space things out, start with stage 1, and then upgrade the downpipe and intake later. Stage 1 is a VERY noticeable upgrade, and you may not even need to go stage 2. I never felt the need personally, always did it out of boredom. Go Uni so you can make the change from the comfort of your garage.

ToMMyGuN

Go Kart Champion
If funds and time allow, I'd go straight to stage 2. Since you don't have to deal with emissions, get a decent catless downpipe, and let the tune take care of the O2 sensor errors and CEL. For the driving that you do, Stage 2 would probably net you the most noticeable gains. It'll also have the added benefit of altering the exhaust note a tad, which is nice since I think the GTI is rather quiet from the factory.

I really think that anything more is too much for FWD.

However, if you want to space things out, start with stage 1, and then upgrade the downpipe and intake later. Stage 1 is a VERY noticeable upgrade, and you may not even need to go stage 2. I never felt the need personally, always did it out of boredom. Go Uni so you can make the change from the comfort of your garage.

Do you have any experience with a catless downpipe? Is the unburned fuel smell really that bad? That's the only thing I worry about..

trev1342

Go Kart Champion
Nice purchase! :thumbup:

ToMMyGuN

Go Kart Champion
Nice write up - fortunately this is not an issue I've ever had to deal with! So is it just the evaporator coils that build up the mold? I guess I always thought it could be through the entire ventilation system

Typically it is just the evaporation coils because they are so cold, water from the air condenses on them (think a glass of icy lemonade "sweating"). If you let them build up moisture, mold is soon to follow

trev1342

Go Kart Champion
Typically it is just the evaporation coils because they are so cold, water from the air condenses on them (think a glass of icy lemonade "sweating"). If you let them build up moisture, mold is soon to follow

Especially when it is located in a cold and dark area like the HVAC vents.