GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HPAs new intercooler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veracity

Ready to race!
the OEM one is not even rated for 200hp.
It is laughably and horribly undersized and underrated.

Maybe you're missing the point? Lets play a word game.

Veracity said:
I'm saying it doesn't make sense to remove 200 hp worth of cooling capacity to run only a FMIC that's about the same size as one of the Twin cores.

Veracity said:
I'm saying it doesn't make sense to remove 170 hp worth of cooling capacity to run only a FMIC that's about the same size as one of the Twin cores.

See, regardless of the hp rating of the stock core, the conclusion is the same. The specific number is not that relevant.

KurtP1

Go Kart Champion
If the radiator fins can be coated, I think the IC can.

Its a gimmick at this point to justify the upcharge in price.

End tanks do not do ANYTHING for cooling.

1- they can be, depends on how thick the coating is.

2- you think, but you dont know. You never used the coatings, never tested them, and arent listening to the people who have.

3- that is categorically untrue. Ive tested it. Dropping the temperature of the end tank drops iats.

I love ya bro, but Im really really surprised, given your back ground and what you do for a living, that this is the response you are having. The data is readily available and you are choosing to ignore it. Why? :confused:

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
As long as the vehicle is in motion the charge air in the outlet end tank should still be at a higher temperature then the surrounding ambient air so some cooling will still take place.

That would be true. If in fact the engine bay temps were ambient. In a moving case.....its a tough call.

The IC is also sandwiched between the radiator and the AC condenser.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
1- they can be, depends on how thick the coating is.

2- you think, but you dont know. You never used the coatings, never tested them, and arent listening to the people who have.

3- that is categorically untrue. Ive tested it. Dropping the temperature of the end tank drops iats.

I love ya bro, but Im really really surprised, given your back ground and what you do for a living, that this is the response you are having. The data is readily available and you are choosing to ignore it. Why? :confused:

What data? HPA has provided NONE.

The most efficient part of the cooling process is the fin structure. WHY would you not focus on that? If you're coating just to coat...its a waste of money.

Help me to understand....that's what I'm trying to get at. I dont know anything about these coatings, but from my initial research they need to consider the fins as primary focus.

KurtP1

Go Kart Champion
I dont dispute that. Im asserting that these coatings DO work and that cooling the end tanks IS important.

I agree more info about this specific coating would not go amiss.

A_Bowers

Maybe you're missing the point? Lets play a word game.

See, regardless of the hp rating of the stock core, the conclusion is the same. The specific number is not that relevant.

I see what you are saying. But when you remove the OEM one and install an aftermarket unit, efficiency of the new one has to be considered, as well as capacity .

The standard IC upgrade is 2 inches. So you have just doubled the size of the OEM one.

FPI goes up.a considerable amount as well.

I see what you are saying but it the OEM one doesn't hold a candle to anything FMIC or OEM location aftermarket. No matter the brand.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
I dont dispute that. Im asserting that these coatings DO work and that cooling the end tanks IS important.

I agree more info about this specific coating would not go amiss.

I'm not denying that they can somewhat benefit on the end tanks. Its basic heat transfer....but I'm saying they've missed the most effective part.

The "coating" needs to be an actual metal composition change. If its a spray coating............I dont believe the thermal resistance can ever be negative with a boundary layer thickness.

KurtP1

Go Kart Champion
I'm not denying that they can somewhat benefit on the end tanks. Its basic heat transfer....but I'm saying they've missed the most effective part.

The "coating" needs to be an actual metal composition change. If its a spray coating............I dont believe the thermal resistance can ever be negative with a boundary layer thickness.

It can depending on how it seeds adhesion during application.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
It can depending on how it seeds adhesion during application.

Explain.....because I'm going off of this principle:

Aluminum to Air: Thermal Transfer related to emissivity of Aluminum to Air.

Aluminum to Coating to Air: Thermal Transfer related to conductivity (Dependent of thermal resistance from AL to coating) of coating and Thermal emissivity from Coating to Air.

That extra "conductive" process cannot be negative unless the thermal resistance is negative which I DONT believe can happen.

KurtP1

Go Kart Champion
Explain.....because I'm going off of this principle:

Aluminum to Air: Thermal Transfer related to emissivity of Aluminum to Air.

Aluminum to Coating to Air: Thermal Transfer related to conductivity (Dependent of thermal resistance from AL to coating) of coating and Thermal emissivity from Coating to Air.

That extra "conductive" process cannot be negative unless the thermal resistance is negative which I DONT believe can happen.

It essentially changes the aluminum's heat conductivity.

The coatings are comprised of materials that are more emissive than aluminum....and perc3nt of theoretical maximum emissivity is determined by the environment absorbing the heat, air in this case.

The coatings dont make aluminum more emissive, they allow the aluminum to reach closer to its theoretical maximum in the given environment given the medium absorbing the heat.

Think a/a ic vs a/w ic. Same principle. Water pulls heat from the core better than air....a higher percentage of theoretical maximum emissivity. These coatings do the same thing. The coatings themselves are more emissive than aluminum, so since they cool faster than aluminum they are able to absorb the heat from aluminum faster than air alone.

Lou Maiuri

Banned
Everybody wants more cool. Nobody wants to install a simple methanol kit.

Staring the solution in the face while ignoring it to provide ammunition for Arin and Arin Jr.

Inter cooler threads= insanity.

KurtP1

Go Kart Champion
Here's some guy's doctoral dissertation about the effects of thermal coatings:

http://books.google.com/books?id=D5reY5c9RXAC

It's worth checking out given the discussion going on here...or everyone can keep arguing about parts they have no experience with and will probably never own/use/test :rolleyes:

Shrug. I do.

Thanks for the link. Ill read it.

Methanol isnt an alternative to a proper intercooler.

Lou Maiuri

Banned
Shrug. I do.

Thanks for the link. Ill read it.

Methanol isnt an alternative to a proper intercooler.

O rly? So I guess my improper SPM unit with methanol injection isn't giving me the cool we are all looking for. Should have bought APR's unit and stayed away from the hack job of a meth injection.

mustache rash

Go Kart Champion
Everybody wants more cool. Nobody wants to install a simple methanol kit.

Staring the solution in the face while ignoring it to provide ammunition for Arin and Arin Jr.

Inter cooler threads= insanity.

That's all I'm running and has been great......although I am in the market for a intercooler

Status
Not open for further replies.