GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HPAs new intercooler

Status
Not open for further replies.

KurtP1

Go Kart Champion
O rly? So I guess my improper SPM unit with methanol injection isn't giving me the cool we are all looking for. Should have bought APR's unit and stayed away from the hack job of a meth injection.

that's not what I said. I didn't say meth isn't a good tool, valuable, beneficial, or usable. Its all of those things. I love meth. I said it wasnt an alternative to a proper intercooler.

hack job? depends on the kit you run. Aquamist is the only meth kit I would run. The AEM isn't bad. The devil's own/snow performance kits are much lower quality, and unless you have agressive safety stops you are setting yourself up for motor failure when (not if) those kits fail.

Lou Maiuri

Banned
That's all I'm running and has been great......although I am in the market for a intercooler

I know, you'll get 10 times the cooling effects of the most expensive cooler on the market. But then you have Arin and Arin Jr. telling us all how methanol is the Devil's lettuce and probably made in China by communists, and do you want your car to become communist?????!!!!!1111oneoneone

Meth+ a medium sized inter cooler is the solution to all this rigamarole. But your car will probably explode if you even try it.

mustache rash

Go Kart Champion
, and unless you have agressive safety stops you are setting yourself up for motor failure when (not if) those kits fail.

And how is that when used just for cooling? I can see that statement being true if using the meth with a more aggressive tune but NOT for just cooling benifits.

If my meth runs out or shuts off nothing is going to happen but higher intake temps

Please stop spreading false info....

Lou Maiuri

Banned
that's not what I said. I didn't say meth isn't a good tool, valuable, beneficial, or usable. Its all of those things. I love meth. I said it wasnt an alternative to a proper intercooler.

hack job? depends on the kit you run. Aquamist is the only meth kit I would run. The AEM isn't bad. The devil's own/snow performance kits are much lower quality, and unless you have agressive safety stops you are setting yourself up for motor failure when (not if) those kits fail.

I'm kidding about the hack job, those were Arin's words. And no, you don't need a fail safe. It rubs me when people claim you need a fail safe for a single nozzle injection post inter cooler on a 93 tune. We aren't talking running meth dependent tunes here, we are just using methanol to cool the charge air a little more; nothing more, nothing less. You don't need a fail safe at all running this setup. Worst case, your meth stops spraying and your charge air heats up a little bit. This myth of your engine grenading when your meth stops spraying with a single nozzle setup to just cool charge air needs to go away; it is annoying and scaring people away for no reason.

APR doesn't like meth because it makes their inter cooler irrelevant.

KurtP1

Go Kart Champion
well, if you aren't tuning for it, then yeah you don't need a safety stop you are correct. But you certainly aren't getting the benefits you could out of spraying meth. Running the nozzle down stream far enough will lower intake charge temps, but you still arent getting around the other issues intercoolers correct like pressure drop, cfm/flow rate, and air resistance. all which increase power.

The total answer is run the highest flowing highest quality core you can get your hands on that isnt over sized for your application, spray meth with a good safety stop, lean the fuel out and crank the fuq out of timing and #profit.

GTI7871

Banned
But then you have Arin and Arin Jr.

KurtP1

Go Kart Champion
^ i think they mean me.

KurtP1

Go Kart Champion
or that could be just my vanity.

GTI7871

Banned

KurtP1

Go Kart Champion
serious question...if meth is the only answer, why buy an upgraded IC at all?

Lou Maiuri

Banned

meth isn't the only answer. I haven't been saying that at all. I'm saying buying a less expensive IC + meth with outperform the 1100 APR core all day every day.

mustache rash

Go Kart Champion

It's not the only answer. I'm in the market for an intercooler to improve the flow rate and added cooling.

I'm probably going with a $200 hpa replica aka alibaba eBay special

Status
Not open for further replies.