GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

0-60 times with just stage 1

SRT2GTI

Banned
Yes, you are correct, but obviously a C6 0-60 is going to be 2-3 seconds faster than the GTI. The Vettes launching capabilities are also very easy to obtain and repeat. Launching a front wheel drive vehicle with upped power on street tires consistantly is considerably more difficult. My point is, you can have a slower 0-60 time and still run a solid 1/4 mile time by making up with the mid range power. Traction is the nemisis of a FWD vehicle and will always be difficult to obtain. In order to truley see the benefits and gains of the tuning software will be in your trap speeds.

Last edited:

The Waxer

Go Kart Champion
Yes, you are correct, but obviously a C6 0-60 is going to be 2-3 seconds faster than the GTI. The Vettes launching capabilities are also very easy to obtain and repeat. Launching a front wheel drive vehicle with upped power on street tires consistantly is considerably more difficult. My point is, you can have a slower 0-60 time and still run a solid 1/4 mile time by making up with the mid range power. Traction is the nemisis of a FWD vehicle and will always be difficult to obtain. In order to truley see the benefits and gains of the tuning software will be in your trap speeds.

I understand what you're saying, but the thread title is 0-60 times, not 1320 trap speeds.

SRT2GTI

Banned
I understand what you're saying, but the thread title is 0-60 times, not 1320 trap speeds.

Yes, I just feel alot people believe performance ends at 0-60 and that 0-60 times are the "end all, be all" of perfomance parameters. I'm just trying to let the OP know that, they're (0-60) really in the grand scheme of things don't to mean much...especially for FWD vehicles.

Last edited:

CDUBBGTI91

Go Kart Champion
I'm stage 2 now and my 0-60 time is horrible. If I had to guess low 6 seconds high 5 seconds. FWD cars suck with acceleration.

Stigosaurus

Maybe if you live on the freeway. In town, 0-60 makes the difference trying to get in front of a long line of cars from a stop light when a bozo wants to try to stop you from passing, then cruise under the speed limit when you're behind them.

The 2.xx second difference in 0-60 between my GTI and my C6 is quite noticeable in this situation.

Stigosaurus: The G-Timers are fun for consistency, but rarely accurate... even when you do your digging to get all the data to plug into it to try to make it more accurate. Run it at a dragstrip and compare, you'll see they are quite a bit off from real times. Like I said though, they are good like a dyno for comparison testing where as long as you're testing apple to apples the numbers apply.
I know what you're saying -- but a couple of us in a loosely organized club bought them a few years ago -- I was skeptical that a little $100 accelerometer would be very accurate. We did take them to the track & were amazed at how close they were to the time slips.

So, my experience is different & I've got a fair amount of confidence in the timer, at least as far as timed runs go. IIRC, one of the mainstream car mags tested several consumer performance measurement products (including the GT2) & came up with similar results. As for some of the other data it produces (even if, as you say, you're conscientious about setting up your car's profile), yes -- just like a dyno -- take with grains of salt...

All that said, I plan a few runs at the track, both for fun & to test the timer again. So far, the GT2-timed runs have pretty much squared with the 0-60 times in the magazines -- 6.1 to 6.3 for stock DSGs.

As for the stage 1 question-- I've seen several ways to estimate 0-60 from 1/4 mile run data & those are consistent with 5.7-6.0 (based on the runs our group did a few years ago), which is the range my chipped car fell in according to the timer. Anyway, I think it's safe to say that chipping knocks half a second off the times we've seen in the car mags.

Bruno2000

Ready to race!
This is my 0-62mph run or 0-100km/h. U could chrono time it yourself but its close 5.0s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwbu8hOUKlY

U have to change the second gear at 7k to get it.(u see it on the vid)

Stage2 high-end power help for sure.

With stage1, I would guess 5.8s at best (with the same nice tires I use)

MK6moneyGANG

Go Kart Champion
what do you think stage 1 is running in the quarter mile?

CFG9000

Ready to race!
yeah, I can't see being anywhere close to 5 seconds on Stage 1 only.

Sorry to drag up such an old post, but my 260HP FWD Pontiac GTP could hit a 5.9 second 0-60 time in ideal conditions on decent tires. I don't see why the same couldn't be expected out of a car with the same power and 600lbs lighter.

Tires, tires, tires.

Ethereal

Ready to race!
Boost by gear would help with traction. 8 psi in 1st, 14 in 2nd, max in 3rd-6th. too bad there's no custom tuning option out there to let you do this.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
Boost by gear is just a fancy equivalent to the right foot mod, neither of which actually increase traction or improve potential 0-60 times (though it would help with consistency). I think bigger and stickier tires are about the only things that are going to do any good to increase traction - that and lighter wheels would be the main way to improve 0-60 times.

I do wonder just how quick one could launch with lightweight wheels and super sticky tires on a stage 1 tune. I could see 5.5sec being possible (as we all know, one can run 5.8 with summer tires and stock wheels/tune) but anything in the 5.2 or quicker range makes me rather skeptical.

P

plac

I do wonder just how quick one could launch with lightweight wheels and super sticky tires on a stage 1 tune. I could see 5.5sec being possible

you don't need sticky tires for that.. i ran 5.45s on stage 1 with stock tires.

Airforce131

Ready to race!
The best i got with an apr stage 1 tune, stock tires, and a 220lb passenger was a 5.9 after three pulls. Wirhout the passenger im sure i could get 5.7.

I used a gtech

excelevant

Go Kart Champion
In a display of the twisting power available, I have measured (via OBDII) my 40-60 mph in 3rd gear at 2.1 seconds, letting off the gas at 4822 rpm. This was a single attempt after driving hard for 20-25 minutes, ambient temp was 67 degrees F. The best I've seen before the S3 intercooler, on the same road, with even colder temps, was 2.3 seconds. This is on the APR Stage 1 91oct file, with Carbonio 1&2.

Motor Trend records 2.3 seconds in the 2012 Evolution MR, but that's using second gear. 2013 Genesis 348hp V6 also marks 2.3 seconds, again using second gear.

Road & Track records 1.9 seconds in the 2012 R8 V8, once again using second gear.

Sure, these numbers have many variables. But it sure puts our practical, comfortable, quiet, economical hatchbacks into perspective.

fasteddy

Ready to race!
6.28s tonight as measured by P3 gauge. One and only run and I didn't dump the clutch. 1st through 3rd gear. Rear seats and spare were out of car. Wheel hop in first, wheel spin in second. 6MT, stage 1, 45* ambient temp. Pretty darn quick :)

Last edited: