GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2010 Volkswagen Golf R Series Turbo Coming to America

GTI2007

Yes it uses the older engine not the EA888 out the new GTI it uses the older engine out the Audi S3/TTS a version of which was also used in the Edition30/Pirelli mk5's.
So yes it getting the bigger turbo and uprated engine internals(an extensive list).

Which means that a simple software tune brings it up to around 310 HP which it should need from the factory already IMO

Snoopy1

Ready to race!
^I can see why you think so but remember its far far far lighter than the heavyweight focus RS so ~260~270PS will give similar/more power to weight ratio so similar performance.

Snoopy1

Ready to race!
depends alot of people find VW groups haldex system effects the feel of the drive compared to the 2WD cars.

JimmyT1

Passed Driver's Ed
Any real news availabe reguarding the Turbo R coming stateside... Or just rehash of old news releases??? As for me, I am really interested in a turbo R uberhatchback, but am waiting to see about stateside availability....

Aussie3318

Any real news availabe reguarding the Turbo R coming stateside... Or just rehash of old news releases??? As for me, I am really interested in a turbo R uberhatchback, but am waiting to see about stateside availability....

My thoughts exactly

TheDude0388

Spida Spida
^ i hope they fit the option recaros from the GTI/audi S3

OMG!!:wub:

dsm1983

Go Kart Champion
Some more info of this car from Autoexpress.co.uk:

The ultimate Golf is here! And this time, the flagship hot hatchback has more power and an all-new badge to boot.

The replacement for the R32 is being referred to within VW as the R-Series Turbo, but it’s likely to be called the R20T, hinting at its engine capacity. And our exclusive pictures show how the most powerful Golf ever will look when it eclipses the GTI at the top of the range.

VW is ditching the R32 name, along with the 3.2-litre V6 that’s powered the previous two cars, Auto Express has learned. In its place will be a tuned version of the GTI’s four-cylinder 2.0-litre turbocharged engine.

A bigger turbo, as well as tweaks to the ECU, will ensure the car has a power output of around 270bhp – that’s more than 20bhp above the outgoing V6. What’s more, as the unit is lighter, the R20T should weigh roughly the same as the GTI.

But with all that extra power on tap, it will deliver scintillating pace, with the 0-60mph sprint arriving in about five seconds. That’s a full second-and-a-half quicker than the MkV R32, and only a few tenths shy of BMW’s V8-engined M3. Top speed will be limited to 155mph.

The same engine will power an R20T version of the Scirocco. This was previewed by the Studie R concept at Italy’s Bologna Motor Show last year.

Although a VW spokesman refused to confirm whether the Golf would be driven by the front or all four wheels, the latter is more likely – as on the heavier and thirstier R32. This will help to put all that power on to the tarmac, as well as provide high levels of grip.

The engine will channel its power through a choice of a six-speed manual gearbox or VW’s DSG dual-clutch set-up. And as the unit is smaller and lighter, the R20T will offer significant improvements in fuel economy and emit less CO2 than the car it replaces.

VW’s designers have taken the understated looks of the R32 to the next level. A deep front spoiler with integrated LED headlights – a styling cue borrowed from sister company Audi – takes inspiration from the Concept BlueSport seen at January’s Detroit exhibition, while flared wheelarches, wider tyres and lowered suspension provide further clues to its potential.

At the rear, in true R-series style, twin pipes exit close to the centre-line of the car. Plus, a ‘sound-optimised’ exhaust system should ensure the R20T delivers noise to match its looks. A roof spoiler and underbody diffuser both help to increase downforce and keep the car planted at high speeds, too.

Reports suggest that the R20T will make its public debut at the Nürburgring 24-hour race in Germany in May, before going on sale in UK showrooms early next year. Prices will start from around £25,000 for the three-door, with the five-door costing £2,000 more – pitching the VW head-to-head with the Ford Focus RS and Subaru Impreza STi.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/a...ultimate_golfs_ready_to_turn_up_the_heat.html

You guys like those wheels?! Those are 19's from the Audi V10 R8. Beautiful. I wonder if they'll actually have them as an option on the R20???

mongo1

Ready to race!
I sent an email to VW to ask about about the R. Here was their response:

Thank you for contacting the Volkswagen website. We are excited to hear
of your interest in our brand!

At this time, there are no plans to introduce the Golf R20 into the
North American market. However, we are more than happy to note your
interest and encourage you to keep in touch with our website or your
local VW dealer regarding future model possibilities.

Thank you again for stopping by!

Ieshia
Volktalk

Read into it what you will. My guess is that while "there are no plans to introduce the Golf R20 into the North American market," there are probably no plans to exclude the Golf R20 from the North American market either.

Someone on this forum once said that anything we read about the R20 right now is just speculation, and that we should wait to see what unfolds at the Los Angeles Auto Show in December... As much as I'd like an answer today, I'm thinking that person is right.

Here's hoping our beloved R badge makes an appearance on the LA red carpet.

DriV3n

Ready to race!
I sent an email to VW to ask about about the R. Here was their response:

Read into it what you will. My guess is that while "there are no plans to introduce the Golf R20 into the North American market," there are probably no plans to exclude the Golf R20 from the North American market either.

I agree. I speculate that this was their reply because negotiations are not yet complete with VWoA with regard to pricing and what versions/options "will be" available (DSG, Manual, or both available, Leather , cloth, or both available, blah, blah, etc.)

I really, really hope this vehicle makes it to the states. I have a CW 2009 GTI with APR stage 1 and it's wonderful to drive. But...I would love to own this car. The changes VW has made fit my style exactly. Sophisticated, Stylish, and Performance minded. The all-wheel drive will also help me get through the Winters in Cleveland, OH.

Considering the styling cues are so similar to the Scirocco. I find it hard to believe that VW would design both of these cars with the intention of keeping them both out of North America. My reasoning can be drawn from VW reasons to not bring the Scirocco to the US. VW's fear that it would cannibalize GTI sales in the US. Wouldn't that same fear apply to other markets where the Golf R and Scirocco are available? I think this Golf R, was designed to fill the gap between the GTI and the North American missing Scirocco.

We'll see what happens!

OHSNAP

I really, really hope this vehicle makes it to the states. I have a CW 2009 GTI with APR stage 1 and it's wonderful to drive. But...I would love to own this car. The changes VW has made fit my style exactly. Sophisticated, Stylish, and Performance minded. The all-wheel drive will also help me get through the Winters in Cleveland, OH.
We'll see what happens!

Fits my style perfect as well... MN Winters!

:thumbup: