GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2019 GTI 6MT Stalling Issue

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Yup, i spoke to VWOA about this as other dealers have done this to other 2019s so i asked if i can run this or request my dealer to change the oil spec and they responded without a clear answer that almost made me feel as though they implied if something goes wrong that specific dealer would be liable.

They got weird with you because it's an emissions and mileage rating thing, not because 5w-40 will damage your engine or that they'll deny your warranty. I will guarantee you VWOA has never asked for the oil viscosity that is in a car when approving a warranty claim. VWOA will never ever, ever, never, ever tell you that you can run anything but 0w-20 in a 2019 because they would open themselves up to lawsuits and regulatory action. After dieselgate, I'm sure they are the one manufacture that is ACUTELY aware of the implications of doing ANYTHING to affect mileage or emissions.

Ronnie1

Ready to race!
Just dropped mine off for the flash update. Nervous about it because I don't want things to be worse as I've only had 2 stalls in the 5,500 miles driven. But from what I've read here most people are happy with the update.

cb1111

They got weird with you because it's an emissions and mileage rating thing, not because 5w-40 will damage your engine or that they'll deny your warranty. I will guarantee you VWOA has never asked for the oil viscosity that is in a car when approving a warranty claim. VWOA will never ever, ever, never, ever tell you that you can run anything but 0w-20 in a 2019 because they would open themselves up to lawsuits and regulatory action. After dieselgate, I'm sure they are the one manufacture that is ACUTELY aware of the implications of doing ANYTHING to affect mileage or emissions.
Here is the bottom line: VW has required the use of 508 oil in the 2019s. If you decide to put in anything else then you are rolling the dice when it comes to ANY drivetrain warranty issues.

If a dealer decides to put in anything else, then make sure you get that in writing because if VW gets very specific, then you are also on the hook and that piece of paper then makes that dealer liable.

cb1111

Just dropped mine off for the flash update. Nervous about it because I don't want things to be worse as I've only had 2 stalls in the 5,500 miles driven. But from what I've read here most people are happy with the update.
Yes, AFAIK, only that new poster had an issue after the update.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Here is the bottom line: VW has required the use of 508 oil in the 2019s. If you decide to put in anything else then you are rolling the dice when it comes to ANY drivetrain warranty issues.

If a dealer decides to put in anything else, then make sure you get that in writing because if VW gets very specific, then you are also on the hook and that piece of paper then makes that dealer liable.
Here's the bottom line. Neither VW or the dealer know or care what oil you run, nor will they check, nor do they have the capability of finding out.

MALMAZDA

I have done about 2000 miles since the update and tested a few times in the conditions that made the car stall easily and it didn't even come close to stalling like it did sometimes .

So for me the update seems to have fixed the problem .

Ronnie1

Ready to race!
I have done about 2000 miles since the update and tested a few times in the conditions that made the car stall easily and it didn't even come close to stalling like it did sometimes .

So for me the update seems to have fixed the problem .
Good to know! Do you notice any thing addtl? Better Performance? Enhancing certain on board diagnostic Monitors? etc?

cb1111

Here's the bottom line. Neither VW or the dealer know or care what oil you run, nor will they check, nor do they have the capability of finding out.
And you think you know that how? If there is an issue that is even remotely related to lubrication, then VW may well ask for documentation of maintenance showing that the correct fluids were used AND may well do an oil analysis.

So, the reader can do either what the manufacturer requires (use 508 oil) or they can take the advice of some random guy on the internet that says "just do it" because it isn't his money he is gambling with.

pieterjan

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf GTI 2023 PP DSG
And you think you know that how? If there is an issue that is even remotely related to lubrication, then VW may well ask for documentation of maintenance showing that the correct fluids were used AND may well do an oil analysis.

So, the reader can do either what the manufacturer requires (use 508 oil) or they can take the advice of some random guy on the internet that says "just do it" because it isn't his money he is gambling with.

if it comes to it VW can check for the correct oil, the 508/509 0W20 has a green die in it. So it can be identified in lab test.

But normally it wouldn’t be a problem using de older 5w30 507 oil. In ROW/EU it is“aloud’ to be used but it wil give a small increase in fuel consumption….

But what is definitely NOT OK is to put the newer oil in the older engines cause then you will damage them, oil pump and some other internals not build fot the oil.

So I pretty sure you guys want harm warranty if using 5w30 as long it has the vw qualification 504/507

cb1111

if it comes to it VW can check for the correct oil, the 508/509 0W20 has a green die in it. So it can be identified in lab test.

But normally it wouldn’t be a problem using de older 5w30 507 oil. In ROW/EU it is“aloud’ to be used but it wil give a small increase in fuel consumption….

But what is definitely NOT OK is to put the newer oil in the older engines cause then you will damage them, oil pump and some other internals not build fot the oil.

So I pretty sure you guys want harm warranty if using 5w30 as long it has the vw qualification 504/507
Are you willing to pay for any denied warranty claims? Send me $20,000 and I'll be happy to hold it in escrow.

VW doesn't say "use 508 or 504/507 oils", they require the use of 508.

You're playing Russian roulette if you are having stalling issues and you play around with oils that don't meet the required specs.

pieterjan

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf GTI 2023 PP DSG
Are you willing to pay for any denied warranty claims? Send me $20,000 and I'll be happy to hold it in escrow.

VW doesn't say "use 508 or 504/507 oils", they require the use of 508.

You're playing Russian roulette if you are having stalling issues and you play around with oils that don't meet the required specs.

I work at vw dealer as workshopmanger/mastertachnichian.

So I speek in function of the info I have from the factory manuals, Elsa.

If you want I can send you the info, 'printscreen'

So in my engine DKTB (eu row)
It is of factory 508, but my also be filled with 507/504 but with the 'risk' of higher fuel consumption

What engine code do you guys all have?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

How many times have you had an engine replaced under warranty? Had 3 engines replaced in an 08 STI for failed pistons. All they checked was for ECU flash. Had 1 replaced in a Miata for failed rod bearing. All they checked is that it had oil in it.

If you regularly changed your oil, no one is going to care if it was 0w20, 5w-30 or 5w-40. You're being ridiculous.

Last edited: