GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

AC and Jerky Gear Changes

SixSpeeder

Go Kart Champion
Do you know where I can find a video of this in action? I tried searching YouTube and couldn't turn up with anything.

I keep hearing about these "jerky" shifts with the DSG at lower speeds. I've been hearing about it constantly on Vortex since the Mk5 gen. So I bought my GTI fully expecting to experience it myself. But no... I'm completely stumped, because it has never happened to me yet. Even with the AC at full blast in stop and go traffic the DSG doesn't jerk or shift hard in any way.

I'm not saying anyone is lying or being overly paranoid. I'm genuinely curious what it feels or sounds like. I'm thinking maybe I've just misinterpreted the problem or something. I've also test driven 1 other GTI and 2 Golf TDI's (all Mk6's) with DSG's and they didn't feel jerky either. Although I will say my GTI does have the infamous B-pillar creaking issue...

If you're not noticing it, that's a good thing. It's not something that would easily be captured in a vid.

jnj2455

Ready to race!
Yah given the choice and that it is not insufferable outside, I try not use the A/C. The change from 1st gear to 2nd gear is where the issue really shows itself if I don't keep my foot on the gas as I change gears. The sensation of keeping your foot on the gas as you shift really bothers me and feels unnatural.

I take off my dress shirt and neatly fold it after work and just drive home with the windows/sunroof open. Hell, when appropriate, I just drive shirtless cuz its summer why the fuck not.

cobie56

Ready to race!
I have a manual and in normal driving is see absolutely no diff with a/c on or off. Maybe in heavy stop n go i would but it is exceedingly rare that I'm in that kind of traffic
Maybe I'm automatically compensating and don't know it? Who knows? I find it just as smooth either way

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
I've noticed this in my 3 manual cars I've owned including this one. AC comes on, power goes down. That actually happens on auto as well. Only auto, you don't have to feel the actual crappy gear shifts as we in manual do during this time.