GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Alcantara Door Panels!

BillyBob

is afraid of the dyno...
I would LOVE to do this. I HATE the door insert and arm rest fabrics SO MUCH.
May be a good summer project. if you could do some kinda writeup, it would be much appreciated.

JasonH

Ready to race!
I would LOVE to do this. I HATE the door insert and arm rest fabrics SO MUCH.
May be a good summer project. if you could do some kinda writeup, it would be much appreciated.

Sure, I'll try to write up something that makes sense, a lot of it was just improvisation.

What would you say is a good price to get this done professionally?

Not sure, I'm not a "professional". I would GUESS ~$100 for a yard of Alcantara and probably 6-8 hours of labor.

Last edited:

JasonH

Ready to race!
1. Start by removing the door panels. See: http://golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5095
This is done by pulling the plastic cover off the door handle, removing the 2 Torx 30 screws behind it and the other one at the bottom. Then you have 7 plastic push pin/anchors that secure the door panel to the door. You have to pull VERY HARD straight out, don’t pry or twist as you can break the clips. I used a putty knife to get started.

2. Once the door panel has been pulled away from all the push pins, disconnect the various wiring harnesses and door handle cable. If there are any push pins left in the door pull them out with a panel tool or heavy wire wrapped around them, you’ll need them later.

3. With the door panel completely removed from the car, start working on the plastic welds. Remove the two Torx 20 screws first. Then there are about 10 rectangular welds at the top that can be CAREFULLY squeezed together (I used a flat screwdriver on each side) while pulling up on the fabric backing.

4. Once all the rectangular welds are separated, bust out the dremel and start grinding the round plastic rivets. Leave the inner part so you have something to secure the panel back to, ie. Don’t drill the rivets out.

5. So now you should have the fabric panels removed from the door panel. You’ll notice that the arm rest and the other piece look to be held together by tabs. Well, yeah, but the tabs have been soaked in resin or some other glue…you’ll need pliers to pull them down and break the bond.

6. Now with the two pieces separated, cut your Alcantara to size, spray the factory pieces with adhesive (I used 3M 77) and then wrap them in the Alcantara. You'll need to trim them pretty well, it can't be much larger than the factory fabric.

7. Put the two pieces back together and use super glue to bond the tabs back together.

8. Put the combined piece back in the door panel. Push it back into the rectangular welds, screw in the two torx 20 screws making sure the plastic rivets are lined up.

9. Use epoxy/high temp hot glue/etc. in place of the rivets that were removed.

10. Take the push pins out of the door panel and push them together so they unlock. Once they’re all unlocked, put them back in the door panel and then reinstall the door panel in the car.

11. Done! Have a beer!

If something doesn't make sense, just let me know and I'll try to clarify.

Last edited:

502fasthatch

Ready to race!
Hey is there a write up on this i have a tiny little hole on my door panel arm rest im trying to cover up this would be perfect. Really just curious on how you got it exsposed and removed to be able to wrap with material.

JoeVDub

Go Kart Champion
This looks AMAZING. I wonder how the center arm rest would be...