GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Attended a Lexus Drive Event. AMA

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
I joined my father as a guest to a consumer test drive and evaluation event for the new IS250 and IS350 rwd/awd in many trims and drivetrains. In the Chicago Bulls' parking lot were three autocross courses: one for driving Lexus' new range of GS, CT, LS and IS cars, one for testing the IS 350 against its competitors (present were the A4 2.0T w/ CVT(errible), C300 sedan w/ sport package and new F30 335i auto), and finally a course for time-attacks in the IS 350 rwd. Fastest driver in the time attack got to take a ride in the black LFA around the more sedate of the auto-x courses. I came in second with a 23.6 second lap; first was 23.2 and the instructors had a 22.6. All in all it was an awesome event, though, with a laid-back nature (drives were conducted sans-instructor) and free lunch catered by the Bulls' club staff.

What I really came here to do is to dump my thoughts on the cars in competition course. It was an interesting exercise to say the least. First, the track was a low-speed autocross. There wasn't much room to jump to anywhere above 45 mph. The course never leaves any room to extend 2nd gear due to slaloms, chicanes, several 135 degree turns with switchbacks and, mercifully, one wide(er) 50-ft radius 180 degree turn.

First, the lexus was a really solid performer. The seating position was excellent - it truly felt like a sports car. The frame was stiff so transitions were never difficult to manage despite the annoying lack of feedback from the wheel or through the chassis. The steering is very tight and really quick. The rear end was commendably competent. It put the power to the ground really well, except when the traction control intervened at really random times (even when it was supposedly off). Sometimes it would upset the line. The transmission was the most unpredictable, though, adding power (seemingly without even a murmur from the engine) at random periods after transitioning to acceleration and doing so without any smoothness. It also mechanically locks the drivetrain (so no torque converter slop above 16mph) which was awesome at speed, but sometimes in those tight corners I wouldn't know whether it was locked or not and so didn't feel confident in corrections with power. But overall, to my surprise, it felt like a car with explorable athletic capabilities and I found myself upset that I couldn't find more on such a track.

The 335i was a real disappointment on this track. The power was immense, but the transmission was so aggressive that the transition to power (especially when the engine kept the boost spooled) was so abrupt it upset my line frequently. Coupled with the sloppy chassis (yes, I said that about a bimmer) and chassis flex and this was a really not fun car to drive this course. That may very well change on a larger, faster course, especially since its steering rack was the only one in this group that required me to go hand-over-hand through several turns. There was some semblance that I could get the chassis to do what I wanted with throttle and steering corrections, and that the response would be glorious, but it was more a tease than a realization that such a response existed.

The Mercedes was a revelation to me. Yes, it was the least refined of all the cars by a long shot. These guys still put the seat controls where the door latch should be and the console is straight out of the early 21st century. But it drove so damn well here. There was notable body roll, but the short (feeling) wheelbase, stiff frame and predictable drivetrain all amounted to a car that could be corrected anywhere in a turn with either the steering or the throttle. The engine power was linear but not absent in the lower RPM's. The transmission was nothing to write home about, short of being dependable. I always got the right amount of power when I wanted it. The brakes, especially for massive, thick drilled disks, faded very easily and were a mess of slop. They really needed a fluid swap and some new, correctly-seated pads. Anyways, the car was just plain fun. Totally approachable for risk-taking, even for my twitchy driving style. So I got it sideways a couple times :D. And always pulled back in with an ear-to-ear grin.

The Audi included for this test was the 2.0 with CVT and fwd. So it was a non-start to begin with. Not only that but the instructors really shouldn't have let anyone drive that with tires in that condition. Pitiful.

Getting back into the GTI, I didn't feel too lacking. This car has a competitively upscale interior and featureset, if the seating position is a bit high and 'econobox'. The power (with tune in stock mode and with intake/S3IC) is comparable to the IS350/C300 given the car's weight. It's more gutsy down low, even. The 335i felt a good measure quicker, though. The traction, ...well, it's fwd. So there's that. But fuel economy is certainly better than those cars, and so is practicality.

Anywho, it was a great time. Of any of the cars, after a night of thinking about it, I'd actually have taken the IS 350 RWD. I'd miss the power and easy tuning of the bimmer, for sure, but the seating position and cabin is exquisite. It really makes you feel like you're in a special car. The response of the NA motor was really satisfying, but I'd have my fingers crossed for a transmission tune.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
uploadfromtaptalk1375653360724.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1375653379100.jpg

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
Are the IS series still available with a manual trans?

I've never liked Merc that much, but anymore if I was ever to get a luxury car, I feel like one would be high on my list. They seem so much more raw than the others.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Are the IS series still available with a manual trans?

I've never liked Merc that much, but anymore if I was ever to get a luxury car, I feel like one would be high on my list. They seem so much more raw than the others.

Nope, the IS is exclusively an automatic. It's a shame, but it's alleviated some by the mechanical lockup at moderate speeds. There's that distinct connected feeling of a manual tranny when you're using the throttle to pivot the car. Around that relatively slow course, though, it was difficult to tell whether it would have been engaged or not. Leading to some awkward transitions.

Yeah the Merc was a total surprise to me, too. It may have been the track, but it really loves changing directions with either the steering or throttle. I said when I was driving it, something to the effect of "She's a sloppy 'ol gal but she's dependable!" (I turn into Jeremy Clarkson when I drive unfamiliar cars)

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
That's a real bummer that most "sports" sedans can't even be had with a manual anymore...

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I saw a new IS on the road going home Friday... very sexy.

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
Does the IS have the new hideous shark face front end deal? That ruins it for me, I've been seeing this ugly nose all over.

Chef_R_Gamie

Ready to race!
IS350 has a nice front end and the f sport is super nice sat in one but when I found out they're not making any manuals I decided to leave

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
IS350 has a nice front end and the f sport is super nice sat in one but when I found out they're not making any manuals I decided to leave

I disagree about everything you said :laugh:. Personally, I hate the front end. It's just not organized, and I think the LED's in front look forced. Especially when you take the rest of the lights on their own. The grill is okay. But how about those little intakes on the bottom of either side? Just not simple or elegant.

And about the manual, you really shouldn't use that to deter you from taking it for a test drive. It's a great transmission for an automatic. Not as good a performer as DSG, but the locking torque converter is a revelation for traditional automatics. Once you drive it with passion you'll find it's got some great character to it.

Last edited:

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
I mean, there's nothing wrong with them making a great automatic and I know many people want that... but it's a sport sedan, it should have a manual. I wouldn't think it would be that hard to do either, given there were manuals on older versions and they've been using the same motors for like 10 years.