GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Attn NORCAL: Group Meet and $50 Dyno Service on a Mustang Dyno in Sacramento

Please indicate your preferred Saturday date for this event

• Total voters

PeeLo801

Ready to race!
So a fellow boardmember pointed out to me that it could be due to the fans used during the dyno testing, or in our case, lack there of. When we were doing our dyno pulls, I noticed there was only one fan being used. He pointed out that GIAC for example uses multiple fans so as to emulate real-life driving conditions. There could have been a calibration error on the part of the operator as well. At this point, I agree littleazn, I really am not one to get too hung up on numbers, let alone dyno results, but the huge disparity between what numbers I got and what is being advertised raises some concerns, especially since they were done on the same type of dyno used that's in their advertisement. In other words, if I got 5-10 whp less than what was being advertised, then i'd have no qualms about it. But my results weren't even close. Again, if it weren't for someone else there with a stage 2, albeit from a different tuner, to compare my results with, I definitely would have been on near-panic mode, and I would have called GIAC right away for an explanation.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Are you going to the 2Bennett grand opening party on Saturday?

Man, I forgot about that. You going?

I had planned to drive the GTI Saturday since it's been 2 weeks since I even saw it, LOL, but my wife said it was going to rain Saturday.

I was toying with dropping some cash on APR sway bars since they are going to have a bit of a discount for their new location, but it's still pricey....LOL

So a fellow boardmember pointed out to me that it could be due to the fans used during the dyno testing, or in our case, lack there of. When we were doing our dyno pulls, I noticed there was only one fan being used.

FANS!!!

Of course, I blame my sleep deprived work addled New York assulted brain. I have always commented on that major lack in dynos is that at 60MPH or even more air is being crammed into the intakes. Sure, we don't have true forced induction but my VTDA is an open maw waiting for air right through the grille and that goes right into the turbo after two turns. Big difference between the turbo having to suck in the air and the air being crammed into the turbo.

JT641

Banned
1 I'm not completely stock in stock mode, You have to take into account the intake and full TBE, We need a completely stock GTI for a better comparison.

2 I plan on running it on the dyno again (probably at 034 motorsport) to see if there is any difference. Looking at the figures that APR advertises I think I should have gotten higher numbers

I think we're both in agreement that the lack of fans & possibly the dyno not being calabrated properly & or operator error could be the reason for our lower than expected numbers

P.S. Going to do another Drive/Meet on Dec 8 or 9

Thumper

Autocross Champion
1 I'm not completely stock in stock mode, You have to take into account the intake and full TBE, We need a completely stock GTI for a better comparison.

P.S. Going to do another Drive/Meet on Dec 8 or 9

Intake on a stock car doesn't do much if anything at all. I tested my 0-60 and 35-70 times on the stock tune with stock exhaust and stock airbox, then tested with the intake, no gain outside normal varience. Now, theTBE, you're right, that's supposed to be good for about 20HP they say, so yeah, would be cool to have a bone stock one as a control.

As for the Meet, can't do the 9th, having a delayed family T-day thanks to my trip to NY to help with the Sandy mess. The 8th would be tight but might be able to do it. Where are you thinking of having it?

littleazn248

Go Kart Champion
Hey I'm a completely stock gti!!! :D

Yea I'm thinking about going but, it might feel kinda weird bringing a VW to an Audi meet. They're gonna be doing a cruise from Berryessa to their shop. So I would guess some pretty nice Audi's will be parked there.

PeeLo801

Ready to race!
Now, theTBE, you're right, that's supposed to be good for about 20HP they say, so yeah, would be cool to have a bone stock one as a control.

Just to clarify, this is mainly because of the downpipe though right. A catback alone has marginal gains, if any from what I understand.

littleazn248

Go Kart Champion
Just to clarify, this is mainly because of the downpipe though right. A catback alone has marginal gains, if any from what I understand.

Correct a DP is what makes the power by increasing flow. A CBE is there for sound and looks.

JT641

Banned
Intake on a stock car doesn't do much if anything at all. I tested my 0-60 and 35-70 times on the stock tune with stock exhaust and stock airbox, then tested with the intake, no gain outside normal varience. Now, theTBE, you're right, that's supposed to be good for about 20HP they say, so yeah, would be cool to have a bone stock one as a control.

As for the Meet, can't do the 9th, having a delayed family T-day thanks to my trip to NY to help with the Sandy mess. The 8th would be tight but might be able to do it. Where are you thinking of having it?

I remeber when I was driving down to 034 to get my tune installed & I had finished installing my DP & intake 2 days before, I was very impressed with the power & throttle response & remember saying to myself it's going to get more powerful than this, Holly Cow :D:happyanim:

As for the drive, My first choice is Saturday Dec 8 the long range forecast says it'll be nice & sunny then it starts to get cloudy on sunday, It's going to be up here in Marin & Sonoma Counties. I'll have to wait till tuesday to map out the exact route, So stay tuned to this thread for all the info, http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48271 The link is also in my signature.

PeeLo801

Ready to race!
FANS!!!

Of course, I blame my sleep deprived work addled New York assulted brain. I have always commented on that major lack in dynos is that at 60MPH or even more air is being crammed into the intakes. Sure, we don't have true forced induction but my VTDA is an open maw waiting for air right through the grille and that goes right into the turbo after two turns. Big difference between the turbo having to suck in the air and the air being crammed into the turbo.

I figured having just one fan affected the numbers, but I wasn't sure to what extent.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
As for the drive, My first choice is Saturday Dec 8 the long range forecast says it'll be nice & sunny then it starts to get cloudy on sunday, It's going to be up here in Marin & Sonoma Counties. I'll have to wait till tuesday to map out the exact route, So stay tuned to this thread for all the info, http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48271 The link is also in my signature.

I am scheduled to work that day.......I asked my boss today, since I just finished 20 straight days of working (most of them over 8 hours, several of them over 10 hours) if I could be excused from this volunteer* extra day and he said only if I could get a co-worker to take my place.

Seriously? LOL

*- We are told we have to sign up for at least one Saturday every 2 months, and then we are thanked for "volunteering"....LMAO We love it.

JT641

Banned
Jeez you keep missing out on all the fun stuff:D, Well hopefully you can get someone to work for you.:D

littleazn248

Go Kart Champion
So thumper you gonna make it out to 2Bennett?

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Jeez you keep missing out on all the fun stuff:D, Well hopefully you can get someone to work for you.:D

Story of my life......LOL

So thumper you gonna make it out to 2Bennett?

I don't think so. I have to help my sister and brother in law unload their moving truck tomorrow most of the day which means today is my ONE day off. I bought some cool new headlights for the Jetta I was going to install today, wanted to go see Skyfall, have to do massive grocery shopping, and kinda just want to enjoy being home. All things equal I would have gone today, but I'm just beat. :(

littleazn248

Go Kart Champion
No problemo! Skyfall is an awesome movie I watched it with Imax and it was definitely worth it.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk