GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

AWE Downpipe + Magnaflow Cat Back

michal

Go Kart Champion
Is anyone running an AWE Downpipe with a Magnaflow Cat Back? If yes, is it very loud? Are any modification needed to connect them or only a band clamp can be used? If the Magnaflow (it starts with 2.5" bottle neck) connect to the stock downpipe, and the AWE downpipe (also 2.5" pipe)connect to the stock cat back, everything should work fine. Am I right?
Thanks in advance for your input.

project92raddoslc

Go Kart Champion
if the magnaflow reduces to connect to a stock DP, then yes they will work together (i think it does). The AWE DP reduces to connect to a stock catback.

TurtleJames

Go Kart Champion
This is my current setup. Everything attaches fine with the included clamps and bracket. No modifications necessary. The good thing with the AWE DP is that all 4 bolts to the turbo can be reached from underneath.

Sound is subjective. For me, it's loud. The MF alone was loud. Adding the DP, it's even louder. With just the MF at idle once the engine warmed up it was pretty quiet and loud at WOT. With the DP, its louder at idle. Makes gurgling noises. It's a very deep aggressive tone. Sounds great with the windows down or if you're in a parking garage. It's uncomfortable if you're in a quiet neighborhood or with older passengers. Sounds nothing like a Civic with a coffee can (very loud with higher annoying pitch) if that's what you're worried about. I still have stage 1 tuning, so not sure if 2 will change the exhaust note at all.

michal

Go Kart Champion
Thank you. I'll probably buy it. If the sound with the AWE downpipe is just a little louder than the MF alone, that's fine for me. If it's too loud, I'll just get rid of the MF, put the stock cat back on, and add some nice exhaust tips.
I do not think there will be any sound difference between stage 1 and 2 with the same setup.
May I ask, why you have not upgraded the software to stage 2?
Do you have stage 1 with test pipe file? If no, have you ever had any problem with throwing a CEL?

coolstorm92

Ready to race!
Dont know about fitment becasue I do not have the MF catback. I have borla. But will comment on loudness. The AWE downpipe by itself is VERY quiet, not much louder than stock. If you add at catback, it makes the catback a little louder than it already is, but not much.

TurtleJames

Go Kart Champion
If you already have the MF and intake, then expect the volume to increase maybe 20%? Can't really describe it. Just sounds more gurgly. But I think you'll be happy with it. I did notice a difference in exhaust smell though probably due to the high flow cat. I'll take a vid if I get a chance.

I'm stage 1 w/o test file. No CEL's so far. I'll probably get re-flashed next time I'm at the dealer for stage 2 w/o test file and see how long I remain CEL free. Just rather not have to deal with re-flashing when it comes to inspection is the only reason.

michal

Go Kart Champion
If you already have the MF and intake, then expect the volume to increase maybe 20%? Can't really describe it. Just sounds more gurgly. But I think you'll be happy with it. I did notice a difference in exhaust smell though probably due to the high flow cat. I'll take a vid if I get a chance.

I'm stage 1 w/o test file. No CEL's so far. I'll probably get re-flashed next time I'm at the dealer for stage 2 w/o test file and see how long I remain CEL free. Just rather not have to deal with re-flashing when it comes to inspection is the only reason.
Yes, I have the MF cat back and a Carbonio intake. That's why I was asking about this setup.
If I buy the AWE downpipe, I'm going to run stage 2 with non test pipe file. Passing the emission test in IL is one of the main reasons why I want the AWE DP.

the415sessions

Passed Driver's Ed
Just an FYI I put an AWE DP on order, and got an email saying there was a 6-8 week backorder.....I am also going to bolt this up to a magnaflow exhaust.

wutsupdoc1

Ready to race!
this will eventually be my exact set up. anybody having issues passing emissions tests? or anybody have advice on how to pass emissions tests with this set up?

michal

Go Kart Champion
this will eventually be my exact set up. anybody having issues passing emissions tests? or anybody have advice on how to pass emissions tests with this set up?
Probably it's too early for most of the 2010/11 GTI's. Everything depends on your state requirements. If it's OBD only test you should be fine with this setup (no visual and sniffer test). Passing the emission test in IL was one of the reasons why I bought the AWE downpipe. There is no visual or sniffer test in IL as I know so I should have no problem with passing the emission/readiness test.
If you install this downpipe you also have to run APR stage 2 software with non test pipe file to pass the readiness test.