GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Back up lights...a brighter experience

yunone

Ready to race!
I am looking for a way to increase the amount of light when backing up, as it seems the stock solution is weak at best.

LED?
Brighter incandescent?

What have you done to throw some more lumens out the back when reversing?

hiimelvin

Ready to race!
After I installed LED license plate lights it really helped with backing up and looking in the side mirror.

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
WTF are these people talking about. One says install rear fog and then you only have one reverse bulb.. brighter? Umm no.

Other says license plate bulbs make it brighter? Umm, no.

LED bulbs in the reverse lights will make it appear brighter when looking AT them but not brighter for you, the driver USING them.

Either retrofit a HID kit or deal with it. I have 35% tint and it's tough to see sometimes but I've never had a problem. I have the LED tails with 2 reverse lights and they are not brighter at all than the stock halogen tail reverse bulbs.

sgessler2011

Ready to race!

hiimelvin

Ready to race!
Other says license plate bulbs make it brighter? Umm, no.

Umm, yes. I wouldn't say it unless I saw a difference. Notice I said "when looking in the side mirror" ? Perhaps I should clarify. I have auto-dipping curb view mirrors. When I reverse the much brighter lit ground definitely helped with backing up and seeing the ground there.

I don't see how that doesn't help me in that situation.

If you need help seeing out your rear window at things eye level, then get OPS or a RVC. Or like DSGVW said, retrofit some HIDs and blind everyone.

yunone

Ready to race!
Umm, yes. I wouldn't say it unless I saw a difference. Notice I said "when looking in the side mirror" ? Perhaps I should clarify. I have auto-dipping curb view mirrors. When I reverse the much brighter lit ground definitely helped with backing up and seeing the ground there.

I don't see how that doesn't help me in that situation.

If you need help seeing out your rear window at things eye level, then get OPS or a RVC. Or like DSGVW said, retrofit some HIDs and blind everyone.

Thank you for the picture, i can see how they do throw out some more light

Thumper

Autocross Champion
I have 5% tint on the rear. Only way I can see at night is to open the hatch....lol

One of many reasons why I back into parking spaces.