GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Break-in Period

MSchott

Go Kart Newbie
Do you think in Germany people who purchase a GTI, or any other car for that matter, keep it below 80 MPH after they purchase the car?

I seriously doubt it.

Break in has little to do with high speed and more with varying the RPM's. At 90 the car might be turning 3500 rpm which is not that high but a proper break in means varying the speed when driving on the highway to change the rpms. Proper break-in in my experience also means keeping rpm's below a certain level for a specified mileage. So in Germany that may mean not doing 180 KPH where the engine might be turning 5500 rpm or so until the car is broken in.

Bender1

Banned
Break in has little to do with high speed and more with varying the RPM's. At 90 the car might be turning 3500 rpm which is not that high but a proper break in means varying the speed when driving on the highway to change the rpms. Proper break-in in my experience also means keeping rpm's below a certain level for a specified mileage. So in Germany that may mean not doing 180 KPH where the engine might be turning 5500 rpm or so until the car is broken in.

+1 - vary the RPMs and vary the amount of LOAD at those RPMS

That is why the owners manual discusses RPMS rather than speed.

surrealchemist

Ready to race!
I gotta sit down and read my whole manual front to back one of these days when I have nothing else to do.

Has anyone noticed the engine idle sound changing? At some point, like 700-800 miles I got in and it didn't sound quite as quiet but it might have been the weather or my surroundings or something.

Sometimes I will just drive with the windows down and the stereo off and enjoy the sound it makes.

chapusin1

Go Kart Champion
I gotta sit down and read my whole manual front to back one of these days when I have nothing else to do.

Has anyone noticed the engine idle sound changing? At some point, like 700-800 miles I got in and it didn't sound quite as quiet but it might have been the weather or my surroundings or something.

Sometimes I will just drive with the windows down and the stereo off and enjoy the sound it makes.

I haven't noticed a change in sound, however after long drives (30 miles or so) when I get to a stoplight, I notice a lot of sudden vibrations, like if it was misfiring or something, I've never experienced a misfiring cilinder haha but that's what I imagine it would feel like, just sudden like small burps that I can feel in the car. Oddly, the RPM's are in the same place.

tornadoredgti1

Passed Driver's Ed
Fast

ah.. those days, i remember when I used to think my stock mk6 was fast

try driving a hyundai sonata and switching over to a GTI... handling and acceleration are out of the world for me!! (tempted to get APR1 but I'm going to wait till the warranty is up...)

jasonweremy

Ready to race!
try driving a hyundai sonata and switching over to a GTI... handling and acceleration are out of the world for me!! (tempted to get APR1 but I'm going to wait till the warranty is up...)

I came from a 05 Hyundai Accent lol