GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Brunkel's Build Thread - '13 United Grey GTI

Brunkel

Go Kart Champion
The Tails look Great.
When's the Ub going on?

Thanks! I'm pretty happy with them. The light output is incredible in person. My passenger side outer light sits a little low compared the driver's side so still some more tweaking to be done...although I'm not sure how much more I can do b/c the T10 Torx screws only move the lights in and out/side to side, but not up and down :iono:

I was hoping to get the UB in today but instead I spent the day with my girlfriend and helped her put some LEDs on her bike. I need to put the UB in and also the tape on the door seals to fix all this creaking once and for all.

I think I'm going to continue with the LED phase of my mods for a while longer...although I may try and slip a short shifter in there since I would be enjoying that one every time I drive!

Brunkel

Go Kart Champion
Installed the unibrace today and I'm very pleased with this little mod. You can see in the picture how much of a difference it is compared to the stock brackets:

One piece of info to add to anyone who is doing the install: You will have to loosen the plastic screws that hold the various plastic covers on in order to give you more flexibility when aligning the brace with the screws. Then when you put the plastic screws back in don't over-tighten them...I did to one and it's not connected anymore and I can't get it out so now one of the plastic pieces is hanging a little bit :(

I also noticed a bunch of salt caught up in there from the winter. I think next time I'm underneath the car I'll take all those plastic covers off to get the crap out that is stuck on top.

I took it out for a nice drive and I really like the feel. Just feels more solid. Shifting and braking were the biggest things I noticed: no more slop! I really want to get a subframe mount now to make shifts super smooth.
Happy with the brace! :thumbsup:

Brunkel

Go Kart Champion
I have too many mods in my living room and not enough time! I recently moved into a house so I've been spending lots of time getting things liveable (it's a very old house). I just spend the whole morning sanding the garage walls, pressure washing the floors, etc...

Anyway, here's what's cooking for the summer. Once all this goes in it's stage II software time!

- Unitronic TBE (not all pictured b/c it's boxed up and packaged very nicely)
- Unitronic CAI
- New South Boost tap to replace my 42dd (for sale soon)
- 42dd boost hose to replace stock new south hose
- DeAutokey goodies: rear turn signals, LED reverse, LED license plate replacements
- Double Apex USB charger
- OEM oil filter...oil change coming up soon
- Aluminum glove box handle
- R8 oil cap
- Mirror puddle lights
- Euro Switch (They sent me the "Auto" one and I ordered the standard)
- Rear footwells (red)
- Door warning lights
- Audi TT strut mounts and oem bearings

I have lots of projects to do!

HUGE shout out to FRANK at KMD TUNING! He's been very enjoyable to work with and got me set up with the Uni CAI and TBE. Speedy order processing and great shipping! Plus...I'm one of the lucky few who snagged up this intake fast! Thanks Frank and KMD!

Brunkel

Go Kart Champion
Installed a few things this week before I headed up to Wisconsin. Up here for the next 2 weeks teaching percussion at a music camp so no car modding for a while :thumbdown:

Got all of my puddle lights installed: both door and mirror. This was a fun installation and a great learning experience for me. I had never taken doors off before or done any kind of electrical work. I had a buddy help me with the soldering, dremel, and heat shrink.

I learned the long way what a broken door clip actually looks like. I was surprised that I didn't "break" any clips on the front two doors. I was just looking at the white end of the clip and didn't realize that even if that is still intact there can still be other parts that break. I did the rear doors a later day and realized this, then decided to take the front doors back off to double check and sure enough I had a couple broken ones in the front and got all of that fixed up. I probably broke a total of about 6 clips for all 4 doors.

Broke my passenger side mirror trying to remove it for the mirror puddle light install :( Huge thanks to itzsleepy for sending me replacement mirrors!

Installed the rear footwell lights. Ran all the wires from the front passenger footwell underneath the carpet and to the rear seat. A very clean install actually and no visible wires! The kit from boldsport was very easy to install.

Double Apex USB charger installed. Very OEM! Now I just need my proclip iPhone mount.

Gave it a wash and finally got all the winter grime out of my engine bay. Dressed it up and looking good again. Installed the R8 oil cap and I went ahead and did the simple fix to get it sitting straight. It looks perfect now, just don't have any pics of it. Now to plasti dip the washer fluid and coolant caps black, and I'd like to get my engine cover painted United Grey at the body shop.

Got everything coded on my way up to Wisconsin (Plus the gauge sweep!). Thanks to kew1827 for the Vagcom! Here's a quick video of the puddle lights and footwells...SPACESHIP STATUS! :happyanim:

CLEsonny

Ready to race!
I love the puddle lights. I am jealous of the ones my friend has on his CC. Were they easy to install? Where did you wire them up to?

corrado917

Go Kart Champion
These lights are a very cool mod, nice job Man! :thumbsup:

Brunkel

Go Kart Champion
I love the puddle lights. I am jealous of the ones my friend has on his CC. Were they easy to install? Where did you wire them up to?

Thanks! The mirror ones are much more involved where as the door ones are simple plug and play and then Vagcom to turn on. There are various wiring harnesses inside the door that you wire the lights too. Some great DIY's out there to make it a simple, clean install.

These lights are a very cool mod, nice job Man! :thumbsup:

Thanks! One step closer to being completely LED'd out! Need to install my reverse Cree LEDs and rear turn signals when I get back from Wisconsin. Still in the hunt for used bi-xenons too...

Brunkel

Go Kart Champion
New additions:
- DeAutokey Reverse and turn signal LEDs
- Diesel Geek SS
- Unitronic Intake
- Oil change with Mobile 1 0W-40

Still waiting to be installed...
- HPA 75a mount
- Audi TT strut mounts
- Unitronic TBE
- Stage II software tune...with R8 coil packs and new plugs probably

Stock airbox out ready for DG SS install

Short Shifter on and working on the intake. Almost dropped some small toothpicks (used to hold open the tabs on the PVC clamp for removal) down the turbo inlet pipe! :yikes:Learned that towels are great to cover up parts of the engine while working...

Bought this cart for detailing. Works great for keeping all my tools accessible on the job! Well worth the money!

Working late and enjoying the fact that I have my own garage now:cool:

Intake on and everything buttoned up. That final silicone tube was tough to fit to the heat shield.

Next on the list...

Last edited:

corrado917

Go Kart Champion
Gorgeous Uni products, Ur car is getting Badass!