GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Buying a 2013 GTI but it's been sitting

Optical TDI1

Passed Driver's Ed
It's a new (15 miles) 2013 DSG Base GTI that has a production date of Jun 2012. I'm not concerned about that due to the price. However what should I ask for? For example, I'm going to request new wiper blades and that the ECU be scanned for updates.

What else since it's been sitting on their lot for about 1 year?

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
If it has been sitting awhile ask for an oil change too. Check the delivery date to the dealer on the invoice.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
for it to be sitting that long it must be a shitty config not many people want. is it black or something??

your profile says you drive a 2012 DSG GTI.. that can't be right, or it would be silly to buy a 2013 DSG GTI.

Bender1

Banned
It's a new (15 miles) 2013 DSG Base GTI that has a production date of Jun 2012. I'm not concerned about that due to the price. However what should I ask for? For example, I'm going to request new wiper blades and that the ECU be scanned for updates.

What else since it's been sitting on their lot for about 1 year?

Check the build date - it may be only sitting for 2-3 months.

GTmyI

Ready to race!
Check the build date - it may be only sitting for 2-3 months.

Bender, isn't it the production date the same as build date?

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Yeah tires would be something to worry about. Many hot/cold cycles with the weight on only a specific collection of radial bands would cause some uneven wear over time. Ask the dealer how long it has sat without being moved.

bburns36

Ready to race!
My '13 was built in June of 12 as well.

Check tires for flat spotting, might need wipers, check for brake pulsation from a 60+mph stop, check paint for acid rain etching, bird poop marks, etc.

Bender1

Banned
My '13 was built in June of 12 as well.

Check tires for flat spotting, might need wipers, check for brake pulsation from a 60+mph stop, check paint for acid rain etching, bird poop marks, etc.

Good to know.

I would ask for:
  • new tires
  • oil change
  • check of all fluids
  • full professional detail

303GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
I would ask for an even better price. If it's been sitting that long I'm sure they want to get rid of it cause they are paying for the car to sit there each month. They've lost a lot of money in that car by it sitting there. I would also ask for the whole car to waxed and detailed properly. Like someone had mentioned earlier about the rain and weather, get that paint waxed and shined up well. Check for rust in the rotors and underbody as well. Protect your investment.

Optical TDI1

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks everyone. Didn't think about the tires. Brake fluid is already over 1 year old too. Don't have the 2012 GTI any longer. Long story...bought a Cayman as a second car to our Odyssey and now realize that it won't work for us. So, it's back into a GTI along with the 2013 Odyssey. We also have a 2002 S2000. Plan is to keep the GTI for 2 years and possibly get an R if it will have DSG.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
I wish i could afford a cayman.