GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cables or chains.. First time for me

yunone

Ready to race!
I am heading to cali this weekend for the holiday and will most likely encounter the need for traction aid when going over a couple passes. Is there a difference between the two when looking for an application for the gti?
Recommendations gladly accepted.

Thanks!

GTI2012

Ready to race!
Traction Devices

If you are required to have traction devices to drive, then getting some that clear the stuff in the wheel well is the problem. The brake lines, struts and stuff are very close to the wheel and tire, making clearance an issue. There has been several threads in the tire and wheel section of this website, discussing the various virtues of different approaches. I went with the SCC super Z6 cable chains. They have a very thin cable. Regular chains may be too thick to clear when the wheel is spinning. The one question with the Z6is the cables connectors which sit on the side of the tire/wheel. The worry is they will damage the wheel. Covering these metal buckles with something (tape?, Plastidip?) may reduce this problem. Some states, like Washington, allow the AutoSock, but I don't know about California.

socal87

Drag Race Newbie
I would avoid cables or chains if all possible. Use tire socks and drive conservatively, you'll do fine. There isn't enough suspension clearance to allow the use of chains or cables.

dudemanz

Ready to race!
If you are required to have traction devices to drive, then getting some that clear the stuff in the wheel well is the problem. The brake lines, struts and stuff are very close to the wheel and tire, making clearance an issue. There has been several threads in the tire and wheel section of this website, discussing the various virtues of different approaches. I went with the SCC super Z6 cable chains. They have a very thin cable. Regular chains may be too thick to clear when the wheel is spinning. The one question with the Z6is the cables connectors which sit on the side of the tire/wheel. The worry is they will damage the wheel. Covering these metal buckles with something (tape?, Plastidip?) may reduce this problem. Some states, like Washington, allow the AutoSock, but I don't know about California.

How are the super Z6's in the snow? How fast can you drive with them on?

Brawn80

Ready to race!
https://www.mitasnowchains.com/

These look promising, there are a number of videos on how to put them on and tests that are done with them. They are expensive though .. they are however my first pick if I were to buy snow traction devices. But for now, ill tempt fate and ride on all weather rubber and a little more common sense.

DROID RAZR MAXX via Tapatalk 2

Thumper

Autocross Champion
I would avoid cables or chains if all possible. Use tire socks and drive conservatively, you'll do fine. There isn't enough suspension clearance to allow the use of chains or cables.

Chains will destroy the car and can not be used under any circumstances, cables may cause damage as well.

Socks or cloth traction devices are not legal in CA and CHP will not let you past if they are requiring cables or chains.

Rent a car......lol

littleazn248

Go Kart Champion
Doesn't Thule make some snazzy chain setup?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

socal87

Drag Race Newbie
Socks or cloth traction devices are not legal in CA and CHP will not let you past if they are requiring cables or chains.

Are you speaking from experience, or are you referring to the CVC? I just did a quick search and didn't find anything, except this, from CVC Section 605:

quote]"Tire Traction Devices are devices or mechanisms having a composition and design capable of improving vehicle traction, braking and cornering ability upon snow or ice-covered surfaces. Tire traction devices shall be constructed and assembled to provide sufficient structural integrity and to prevent accidental detachment from vehicles. Tire traction devices shall at the time of manufacture or final assembly, bear a permanent impression indicating the name, initials or trademark of the assembling company or primary manufacturer, and the country in which the devices were manufactured or assembled in final form."[/quote]

I looked at the CVC and there doesn't seem to be anything specifically detailing metallic traction devices, OR banning fabric traction devices...one could potentially argue the point considering that there is no text in the law that specifically requires "chains" or "cables". Chains are mentioned but always with the qualifier "other traction device(s)".