GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Carbon Cleaning before tuning???

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
So the reason it costs so much is probably just the labor?

Haven't noticed any systems apart from a light rough idle and the misfired detected...am just getting to 70k miles now. What would be the worst that could happen if I just tuned it and waited another 5k miles?
It's pretty much all labor. The only parts are a new intake manifold gasket which are 20-25 bucks. Shop supplies are fairly low, they'll use about a can of pb blaster, and about a can of brake cleaner. The walnut media is cheap - think a 30 pound box cost me about $20 and is enough do do 7-10 cars easily.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
It's pretty much all labor. The only parts are a new intake manifold gasket which are 20-25 bucks. Shop supplies are fairly low, they'll use about a can of pb blaster, and about a can of brake cleaner. The walnut media is cheap - think a 30 pound box cost me about $20 and is enough do do 7-10 cars easily.
HF shows nearly $30 now for their 25lb box which is crazy because I swear I paid closer to $20 not even a year ago.

https://www.harborfreight.com/25-lbs-fine-grade-walnut-shell-blast-media-92155.html

...just make sure you get the "fine" grit OP. Course grit will get clogged and be really annoying to work with.

Kart17

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'17 VW GTI Sport
Haven’t done it yet on mine at 74k. Tuned for about 10k now. Just send it
tune it and send it......deal with carbon cleaning once you've confirmed it needs it

swimming gti

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI w/DSG
nope....AP can't do that. You can run logs to go back and read to see when they occur, if you've been noticing if they are happening at certain times/conditions though.

move plugs and coilpacks to cylinders 2&4 and see if the misfires follow...if it does, replace plugs and coilpacks
OK but AP does still tell me if misfires are happening if I run logs?

Good suggestion, will try that...the guy told me it was probably carbon and not bad spark plugs but maybe he was just trying to get more $$$

swimming gti

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI w/DSG
Haven’t done it yet on mine at 74k. Tuned for about 10k now. Just send it
This is what im leaning towards...what would be the worst that could happen if I just waited until CEL came on?

Cant tell if im being a risky dumass or just paranoid about a small issue lol

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Stock car driven pretty lightly in a lot of stop and go traffic. This was mine at like 73k miles. Idle smoothed out considerably.

azR4bGd.jpg

REu6jhb.jpg

scrllock

Autocross Champion

Good suggestion, will try that...the guy told me it was probably carbon and not bad spark plugs but maybe he was just trying to get more $$$
no, because they know people will react like this. it's extremely common to see some misfires, especially on cold start. if you're not getting enough misfires to set a CEL it's not really worth sweating over.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI

If you’re really sweating it, move plugs to different cylinder and test….plugs and packs are cheap
no, because they know people will react like this. it's extremely common to see some misfires, especially on cold start. if you're not getting enough misfires to set a CEL it's not really worth sweating over.
This

swimming gti

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI w/DSG
Yeah sorry for the confusion in the beginning...i meant there were fault codes for misfires in cylinders 1 & 3...not just that there were misfires