GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cheap Labor, Pittsburgh Area

Pooley

Ready to race!
You ever mess with the factory pendulum mount, other than to possibly install a poly insert into one? The threads on the upper half of my mount in the subframe are somehow screwed up so the large bolt only threads half as much as it needs to, leaving half inch of threads still exposed when the bolt seizes. Really odd since I've had the bolt out a handful of times without an issue before. I have a new factory mount (both halves since the threads are in upper half) and bolt arriving tomorrow. I was wondering if you knew if the subframe must come off car to remove and replace the upper half of the mount, or if it can all be done underneath while on the car. I've seen how people cut out the lower half to install some aftermarket pieces, but the ones I've seen retain the threaded upper half.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
Ah, that looks like a better kit. I'll be ordering that one. Trying to decide if I want to do a full tuneup and get the valves cleaned at the same time...

Discount for multiple jobs? ;)

LOL, If it was remotely in the same area I would! They are two totally different things that both take a bunch of time!

You ever mess with the factory pendulum mount, other than to possibly install a poly insert into one? The threads on the upper half of my mount in the subframe are somehow screwed up so the large bolt only threads half as much as it needs to, leaving half inch of threads still exposed when the bolt seizes. Really odd since I've had the bolt out a handful of times without an issue before. I have a new factory mount (both halves since the threads are in upper half) and bolt arriving tomorrow. I was wondering if you knew if the subframe must come off car to remove and replace the upper half of the mount, or if it can all be done underneath while on the car. I've seen how people cut out the lower half to install some aftermarket pieces, but the ones I've seen retain the threaded upper half.

Thanks in advance.

Hello sir. Subframe has to be removed. The sway bar is pretty much right over top of the upper portion of that mount.

Pooley

Ready to race!
Damn, so is there a ridge between the two halves of the mount that would prevent me from cutting it out and pushing it up from the bottom? Is the steering rack attached to the subframe or just the sway bar?

Thanks!

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
Damn, so is there a ridge between the two halves of the mount that would prevent me from cutting it out and pushing it up from the bottom? Is the steering rack attached to the subframe or just the sway bar?

Thanks!

Steering rack and swaybar are attached to the subframe. The swarbar is kind of right in the way. You could definitely hack the upper mount up and get it OUT from the bottom, but I highly doubt you can get the new one in with the subframe still on.

Pulling the subframe, as long as you don't run into any seized bolts (which make it the worst job ever), is actually really simple.

Pooley

Ready to race!
Ok, thanks again for the info. I installed the Tyrolsport Deadset kit, but I only dropped the subframe a bit, not fully removed.

Man, such a pain in the behind all because the main bolt cross threaded.

Pooley

Ready to race!
One last thread jack. It's not as bad as I expected. I found the 034 Motorsports instructions online for their mount, and saw that I only needed to remove the main center portion of the subframe, not the part that holds the suspension arms or steering rack. 11 bolts plus the 2 for the downpipe support and the dogbone bolts as well. Had it out of the car in 10 minutes. Off to pick up the replacement mount halves and new dogbone bolt at the dealer. Only tough part remaining is removal and install of the new mount.

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
Bump, been updating a lot of timing tensioners. Have an MQB S3 coming in next month for suspension and swaybars. Keep it coming!

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
Bump, still around! My own car was tying up my garage for the past month, but now I'm available again. New place, and garage is now heated. PM me for some installs!

adamnapes

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey yo!! Text me when u get some time man!!!