GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Comparison Review: OEM LED vs Replica LED Tail Lights

SFvalleyGTi1

Go Kart Champion
Looking at the FS thread where the set in question was sold, he does claim that they have OE fitment... I can understand dubbinit2's frustration with SFvalleyGTi's claims.

I'll wait for my Vacar set to show up from Ed and see if I am happy with them.

I claimed oe fitment after the fact of ONLY installing the inner lights. I didnt like the dark look so i removed the lights. Put them up forsale and everyone was asking me about the rear fog. So I installed the whole set of lights to test the rear fog. That was when i ran into fitment issues and thought it was my car. I shipped the lights and took my car to the dealer for them to align the hatch but they said it was within spec. I then purchased my oem lights and saw the buyer was happy with the lights so left it at that.

You can see that i made an edit in that thread to update with pictures and info. Not sure why i had to explain all this...

I just hope people understand the replica lights might not fit like oem.

SFvalleyGTi1

Go Kart Champion
Here is an update with another Replica LED tail lights owner. He also has fitment issues.

original thread link:
http://golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32267

SFvalleyGTi1

Go Kart Champion
Another replica with alignment issues...

Thread Link:
http://golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31956

In the picture above you can see the passenger side outer lamp sticks out more than the inner section. If you run your hands along the two sections of the tail lamp they are not even.

In these pictures you can see the gap between inner and outer are different. Driver side lamps have a larger gap, where as the passenger side look dangerously close to hitting towards the top.

Theres also a nice gap at the bottom of the outer lamp if you follow the bumper towards the center...

valeoray

Ready to race!
Are you able to post a video of your OEM lights in action? Parking lights and then braking? I just want to see the intensities from each OEM light compared to my VACAR ones. I know a true comparison would need both cars to be side by side, but if you could post a video, it would be appreciated.

valeoray

Ready to race!

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
Being the first and only person to have owned both OEM and Replica LED Tail lights for the Mk6 GTI / GOLF. I thought I would comment on both pieces of hardware.

I originally purchased a set of Replica Golf R Tail lights because of its price. After receiving them and l noticed the lights were too dark for my taste. I like the cleaner/oem+, non racer boy look. After putting the lights for sale I was asked to take pictures and to find out if the rear fog light could be changed or if it would turn on with the car put into reverse.

When I tried to install the lights I ran into some trouble. The lights wouldn't line up to the body lines properly. I tried adjusting the lights as much as I could but they just wouldn't line up perfectly. The gaps around the lights were uneven and just ugly. So I thought maybe my car is the issue, since the quality of the lights themselves looked great for something out of China.

I ended up selling the Replica LED tail lights and ordering a set of OEM Cherry Red LED tail lights from Germany. Replicas cost me $410ish where as the OEM lights cost $550.

It took 20 days for me to receive my oem lights from Germany! I slapped on the OEM lights within 20 minutes. Not once did I look to adjust the lights, everything lined up perfectly with the body lines. Gaps around the lights were even on both sides.

On a side note, I personally think Cherry red LED tails look better than the Tinted Golf R model. On darker colors the Golf R lights look nicer.

Below are some pictures of both the Replica Golf R and OEM Cherry Red Tail lights.

Replica Tinted Golf R:

OEM Cherry Red GTD:

Here are the gaps with the Replica LED tail lights...

Notice Gap at the bottom...

Here are gaps with OEM LED tails....

You can't see the gaps unless you're very close to the car so for $200 less i'll stick with the OEM. Can't see the justified cost of $200 for HELLA's

SFvalleyGTi1

Go Kart Champion
You can't see the gaps unless you're very close to the car so for $200 less i'll stick with the OEM. Can't see the justified cost of $200 for HELLA's

You're comment is sorta vague. I agree you can't see the gaps from 300ft away, but anything closer than 100ft you can see the light is crooked or you'll see gaps being off, if you do a quick glance you probably wont catch it.

I understand most of you guys are younger working at fast food or living off parents. So justifying an extra $200 for OEM fitment/quality is out of the question. But as time goes on, you'll learn its sometimes (usually) not worth trying to save a buck and going the cheap route.

Some of the cars above have the lights sticking out further than the other. If you can live with a crooked car then be it. I know I didn't spend close to 30k on a car to modify it with cheapest parts I can find which don't really fit like they should.

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
^^No need to get defensive and insult people. I agree on not skimping but some want to save where they can and apply those savings elsewhere.

P

plac

replicas are just crap looking, and its not worth the small 200-300 savings over oem.

inc55

Go Kart Champion
If the outer lights stick out more than the installer should press on them while tightening the thumb screw. It's not easy but will solve the problem.