GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DRL non-op Diagnosis

Thumper

Autocross Champion
So I recently came back to the Mk6 fold picking up a 2012 Golf R, previous owner had the DRLs turned off in MFI, however checking the box did not activate them (though it did cause the "DRL" light in the dash to illuminate when disengaging the parking brake with headlights off). I checked the coding and all appears correct, although I can't tell if the 'dim' setting in the module is accurate, it's set to 100 which to me means 100% dim, but I've found other threads that say that 100 is full bright and 0 is maximum dim.

However, the DRLs do not light up either with headlights off or when they are turned on as parking lights. I had to do the factory reset in the MFI for it to accept my setting for the comfort turn signals and thought that might jog the DRLs loose too but no luck.

My only thought is both lamps are full on defective but would think that would trigger a bulb out error? Or does the system not check current on them since they are LED?

Phur

Autocross Champion
It seems unlikely to me that both lamps would be defective in the same way.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
fuse?

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Yeah fuse or messing with that "dim" setting in VCDS, or tearing apart the wiring and testing every lead. Ug.

cs_cabrone

do they come on with the headlights? The DRLS are two stage (not sure if that's the right term) with a lower Daytime brightness and a brighter nighttime brightness. It's EXTREMELY common for the daytime portion to lose functionality. i'm currently rocking an out one. My DRLs are now disabled so avoid the aesthetic.