GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dustin's thread

scuber

Fitment issue

I drive a Golf money is always an issue :D It's tough to tell how everything fits together so I threw the left side together. Nothing will be this clean again.

The lights in the kitchen make the caliper look like fluorescent red for some reason.

Rear of the spindle.

Rear of wheel bearing.

Plenty of clearance from the bolt to the rear rotor.

The weight isn't 100% accurate the LCA is touching the floor.

Sexy aluminum.

Hello,
I am using exactly same spindle and control arms.
I have ordered ST-40 big brake kit either.
If I install ST-40 caliper to inboard of spindle like you did first, would it cause any problems?
In the picture, there is no problem but just curious.
Thanks.

dustinouch

Go Kart Champion
The Stoptechs weren't designed to be installed that way. I wish I caught that when I took the picture, it's really misleading. In the picture, I was able to put the parts together because the pads weren't installed in the calipers yet.

The instructions on Stoptech's site isn't very good but AUTuning was able to get it sorted when they did the install. If you are looking for a shop I would definitely recommend them.

dustinouch

Go Kart Champion
This build has been on the back burner for a few months. I was dealing with moving to a new place, most of that is finished now so I can get back to the car.

Since my last post:
-Sold 2 sets of wheels (OZ Ultraleggeras and LE37's are gone)
-Curbed my dailies SSR Type C R/S :(:(:(
-Cracked the windshield :(:(:(
-Ohlins need servicing, I'm pretty sure they have a slow leak.
-Picked up a used set of H&R Ultra lows and OEM R20 euro headlights

Headlights got swapped out this weekend. Ignore the mess in the garage it hasn't been cleaned out yet.
https://flic.kr/p/o8NzN4

dustinouch

Go Kart Champion
I don't think so, I looked at it when I was researching but I didn't see any oem/aftermarket parts available. The opening of the lower part of the R-line bumper is narrower than the GTI and GTI/35th edition. But a lip that fits the Golf R bumper might fit the R-line. These pictures will give you a better idea of the front bumper shape.

I cropped Zoomer7's and swfloridamk6's pictures for scale, I hope they don't mind!

Looks like someone finally made a R-Line lip. Time to place an order with SRS

dustinouch

Go Kart Champion
This is turning into an all SRS thread, I found these images on their FB page:

Clean rear bumper insert for Golf or GTI

Golf R-Line splitter

nafljhy

Go Kart Champion
Hey Dustin,

Was going through your thread and saw your issues with the rear axle cover. I also have the RB and it fits perfectly. What I did was substitute the washer that was used for the RB with the bracket for the axle cover. It will fit perfectly at that point.

Then about the RS3 ducts. If you're trying to install them with no load... Its much more difficult. I don't know why but mine didn't exactly fit when I had no load on the wheels so I trimmed them a bit. But I've gotten under the car recently and they fit perfectly fine without touching underload even if I hadn't trimmed them. So I would recommend installing those on ramps than a lift. Just some personal experience on those parts.

Love your build.

dustinouch

Go Kart Champion
Cool thanks for the tips! I've been meaning to get under the car to try this again. I need to change my oil again soon so I might attempt it this weekend.

Getting the rear up on ramps is easy, but the front is tough because my bumper is a little too low. May end up just taking off the bumper for the extra clearance.

dustinouch

Go Kart Champion
FCKING CARELESS DRIVERS!So bummed! I'm sure some UCI Faculty member hit me in the University Club parking lot last Friday. Unfortunately I didn't notice it until Saturday morning. I remember seeing a white car parked pretty closely to me but didn't think they actually hit me.

My passenger rear fender and wheels both got hit. The rear window is scratched up pretty good too. The rear fender got a good hit right in the crease and the powdecoat on the wheels is chipped down to the bare metal.

Another area for the body shop to fix :(
https://flic.kr/p/okx8Ei

Ignore the brake dust.
https://flic.kr/p/okPDcB

Shibumi1982

Passed Driver's Ed
Dustin. Do you happen to have any bumper/grill pieces you are trying to sell? I had a cat jump in front of my car tonight and took out passenger everything.

dustinouch

Go Kart Champion
^^Damn sucks for you and the cat

My grills would need to be refinished and painted they are pretty rough with rock chips. I'll have the whole bumper for sale at some point but I still need to get my car to paint first. As you can see the list of stuff to fix is growing :( I'm finishing up a deal for some new wheels right now so that is my priority.

I should be able to focus on the body work after that.

Shibumi1982

Passed Driver's Ed
Yea. Cat got it worse it appears. I just tore everything apart today. Bumper actually looks okay. Do you have fog lights for a Golf/TDI available though? These were wasted.

dustinouch

Go Kart Champion
I might, let me take a look at what I have. I picked up a second set of MK5 fog lights because I wanted to do a OEM retrofit but I'm not sure I'm doing that project anymore.