GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Engine break in

Mk6golfer

Ready to race!
Doesn't VW include oil changes in their free scheduled maintenance? Meaning they would only pay for the 10k one probably

kgbzz1

Passed Driver's Ed
Doesn't VW include oil changes in their free scheduled maintenance? Meaning they would only pay for the 10k one probably

That is correct. If you want to change the oil more frequently, it is at your own cost.

IMHO, the "Carefree Maintenance" program in not a factor when choosing a VW. Comes down to getting three "free" oil changes and that is it.

In other less humble words, the "Carefree Maintenance" program is a poor attempt to attract customers. They would have a 4yr/50k warranty if they intended to stand behind their vehicles. Or, created a maintenance program that actually has some value. Lame.

They could have at least called it something different as to not insult people's intelligence. "Carefree Maintenance" is bollocks.

Last edited:

Mk6golfer

Ready to race!
That is correct. If you want to change the oil more frequently, it is at your own cost.

IMHO, the "Carefree Maintenance" program in not a factor when choosing a VW. Comes down to getting three "free" oil changes and that is it.

In other less humble words, the "Carefree Maintenance" program is a poor attempt to attract customers. They would have a 4yr/50k warranty if they intended to stand behind their vehicles. Or, created a maintenance program that actually has some value. Lame.

They could have at least called it something different as to not insult people's intelligence. "Carefree Maintenance" is bollocks.
My thoughts exactly. Look at vw.com under the carefree maintenance program, and basically you come out with 3yr/36k mile "peace of mind" (aka the warranty) and 3 oil changes. Cars these days dont require any maintenance within 36k miles aside from oil changes.

jgs5607

Ready to race!
That interval is longer than I am used to (usually every 5K on my cars) but it may not be unusual when using full synthetics.

A friends daughter has a 3 series BMW and she takes it in when the service light says to ( somehow the system keeps track of how the car is driven or something) and her intervals were > 12K miles (does a lot of highway driving) which again, sounds too long to me.

Even on the cars that I used full synthetic on, I changed at 5K intervals; overkill? I do know those cars all went over 140,000 miles and did not burn oil when I sold them so I am comfortable with that interval.

I will ask the service manager, just for grins, to see what he says. Even if it has "break in" additives, the major part of the break in will be done by 5k IMO.

ghause

Passed Driver's Ed
I guess I should have read this thread before picking mine up. The dealer drove mine ~300mi to pick it up; I'm not so happy about that, then the sales guy told me I wouldn't have to worry about break in. So I nicely abused my new ride for about 40 miles.
I guess I'll just take it easy for the next 600 or so.

Antero128

Ready to race!
I took it easy the first 600 miles, then I varied my RPM range till about 1000 miles. Now I just drive it like I would normally drive the car. VW red lines the engine even before it leaves the factory. As long as you arent flooring it at every street light I wouldnt worry to much about it.

Merelington

Ready to race!
Not sure how valid this is but I read that if you drive the car hard during break in you'll maximize power but your engine will consume more oil, and if you baby it you won't be able to utilize the engines power to its fullest potential. They also stated to simply drive how you would normally to cater the engine to your driving style.

For the first 1,000 km I just made sure the engine had been running for a minute before driving, never let the rpms go above 4000rpm, and never cruised at the same speed for more than a couple minutes.

Walter2

Ready to race!
So when you are saying that you varied the load and MPH of the car, what did you do during highway driving/city driving? I have been shifting between 5th and 6th to keep the rpms varied. I have taken it above 4k only a few times (maybe 4?) and have always shifted before 4k otherwise.

Very worried about this, my first turbo car 

RatherBeInCabo

Ready to race!
Just read what the manual says, you will like it.

It says for the first 600 miles, do not drive faster than 3/4 the maximum speed on the speedometer. That max speed on the speedo is 180mph so in the first 600 miles, do not exceed 135mph :w00t:

Last edited:

Pjai

Ready to race!
i think most cars these days are factory break in anyway, imo just dont do anything too silly and drive it like a sensible person for the 1st couple of thousand kms/miles.

FN in MT

Ready to race!
I took it easy for the first 600 miles...had to anyway as we had snowy roads. Then started revving it up when I went throught he gears more and more.

Left last friday with 1821mi on the clock and drove down to New Mexico to visit a friend. Came in this morning with 4980 mi so I will change the oil at 5K.

I FAR from babied it on the trip down and back. It DOES seem that once I hit 3 or 4K that the engine seemed to be revving EASIER ....unless it's my imagination. So far no noticeable oil or antifreeze consumption either.

IMHO the ideas of engine "breakin" are somewhat of a holdover from the old days when one probably REALLY had to break in old straight 6's and V-8's. I hear about breaking in rifle barrels too. I know shooters who fire a few shots, then clean the barrel with solvent. Fire a few more, repeat, etc. On and on until some magic number is met.

I know a noted 3rd generation precision rifle barrel manufacturer who LAUGHS when I mention breaking in a barrel. I often wonder if motorcycle/car engine break in is as laughable?

FN in MT

TDI110

O_o
In my opinion all this engine break-in stuff is, as FN in MT stated with the gun manufacturer, nothing to worry about really. It is a good idea not to be too aggressive at the beginning. I have over 27,000km on the clock and I do not notice any engine differences between then and now. Again I drive the TDI so maybe the engine characteristics are different than the TSI engines.

chapusin1

Go Kart Champion
Well if that's true then I'm screwed, because mine with 200 miles on the odometer, i have taken it to 5k rpms, yesterday i hit 3rd and floored it and when i realized i was on 5k nearing 6k already, then i changed to 4th, but yeah you get carried over with the acceleration. My engine seems to like it, and my gas mileage is excellent, i'm expecting 400 miles on this tank and it's my first one, that means i have been flooring it a lot doing bursts of acceleration on a regular basis.

archetypaul

Passed Driver's Ed
i've been sticking to the tdi breakin guide pretty well. the only thing i haven't been doing is keeping the rpms above 3,800 while the engine is cold because the manual says avoid high engine rpms while cold. It also sounds really bad above 3k while the engine is cold.

Should "no lower than 4k rpms" be read like "rev up to 4k before shifting" or "stay in a very low gear and ride down the street above 4k constantly" ?