GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Engine cover

Carraig

Hey,
So I have a 2012 golf R that I recently purchased and it’s been sitting for a while. I decided to replace the air filter earlier today and got pretty flustered as I dropped a bit and a screw clip (idk what to call it) in the engine bay. But more notably I think I may have cracked the cover near the intake 🙄. Mainly due to the fact that I could not for the life of me remove it. I removed everything necessary so nothing was obstructing it. But I’m super scared to remove it now as I don’t want to ruin anything beyond repair. What’s the safest way to remove a stubborn engine cover? And could I have broken something? I’ll send photos tomorrow if needed.

harrybrowns

You didn't do that much damage, but I recommend stopping where you're at since you risk worsening the situation. It would be best if you went to an auto repair shop or service(I don't recommend going to the dealer since they might charge you a lot more money than you expect). One of the best ways to find good auto repair shops with relatively low prices is https://autoleap.com. They work with auto repair shops to build software that makes it easy for us to find them. They help them keep up with more complex vehicles, more repair protocols, more expensive parts, fewer qualified techs, and more demanding customers.

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
Just pull harder. The rubber mounting grommets are made to hold it tight, so as long as the scoop, turbo inlet pipe, and MAF are disconnected, it'll come up with some extra pressure. Just don't use a prybar on it, there's a lot of stuff that can get damaged doing that.