GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Engine Vibration

RaleighJT

I have an engine vibration I'm trying to figure out on my 2010 GTI 6MT. It's strongest at 1100 rpm, almost unnoticeable at 900 rpm, but can generally be felt to some degree all the time. I did the following maintenance since it started (I was already planning on doing it before it started), and there was no change:

-replaced timing chains, tensioners, and guide rails
-resealed cam girdle
-carbon cleaning
-replaced plugs

The passenger side engine mount looked good when I had it off for the timing chain. I haven't checked the driver side mount or the pendulum since doing the clutch 2 years ago.

I don't feel any vibration in the clutch pedal. So, I don't think it's the flywheel.

The computer isn't showing any misfires. I don't feel any hesitation when accelerating.

I've seen some people in other posts say some vibration is normal. This is definitely beyond normal.

What should I look at next?

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Pendulum mount? Subframe mount?

You can get a cheap replacement pendulum and it's only two bolts, if the rubber is bad you'll notice a vibration. The subframe "puck" is also cheap but a lot more difficult to replace.

RaleighJT

I'm still trying to figure this out. I found a video that said to put a jack under the engine to put a small amount of pressure from the bottom to stabilize the engine when testing for a bad engine/transmission mount. It made a slight difference, but very little. There's no notable movement in the pendulum mount.

I'm starting to wonder more about the flywheel. However, the fact that I'm not feeling anything unusual in the clutch pedal or when shifting makes me still unsure on that. Any suggestions on how to test what's actually wrong other than just replacing parts? How would a shop go about diagnosing this?

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Following up that replacing my flywheel fixed the issue. I found a video on YouTube highlighting a clicking sort of sound that could be heard when turning the engine off that was from a failing flywheel that was similar to something I could hear.

Thanks for reporting back, always sucks to have a thread just end without a solution and many never update the fix they found.