GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Exhaust diameter sizing for turbos

Erwan1

Go Kart Champion
Keep this in mind:

The stock and most aftermarket systems neck down to 2-1/4" at the transition of the DP to the rear section. This turns 2-1/2" to 3" DP's into funnels since the actual exit is smaller than the inlet. How does that effect velocity and flow?

grambles would be better at answering this question than I, my take on it is that it will affect flow vs say a complete 3" system. However, having 3" to 2 1/4" will flow better than complete 2 1/4" system, the further back from the turbo the 'downsize' the better.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Issue with this is then tune. Obviously each is optimized to the tune it is paired with (or the tune is optimized with it, chicken meet egg).

No real way to get a scientifically valid control over tune IMO.

Agreed.

But thats what Plac has done for us! Hes been on APR's tune with his MK5 and MK6 with multiple downpipes. Maybe he can post something up. I cant remember if he had dynos or not.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Thats why I said that I wasnt sure if he had dynos or not.

Bender1

Banned
Agreed.

But thats what Plac has done for us! Hes been on APR's tune with his MK5 and MK6 with multiple downpipes. Maybe he can post something up. I cant remember if he had dynos or not.

Right, but since he has always been on APR's tune one can assume (hopefully for their sake) that any 3 inch would handily out perform any 2.5 inch.

What would be more helpful, from my point of view, is one car running a combination of the three different "major" tunes with each one of the three "major" exhaust sizes.

Obviously overkill and impossible, but really the only way to make accurate comparisons.

I would not be surprised if a GIAC tune with a 3 inch makes less power than a GIAC tune with a 2.5 inch and a APR tune with a 2.5 inch makes less power than an APR tune with a 3 inch (that is a given).

untangle

Ready to race!
Dyno's and throttle response

Thanks, grambles423, for weighing in with your expert opinions. Always welcome.

IMO, dyno runs will not yield "the final answer" on optimal DP diameter unless you run around at WOT all the time. Dyno runs yield no direct information on partial throttle response - the regime most common to our daily driving. They therefore provide an important aspect of the picture, but not the entire picture.

BTW, while I own a 3" DP, I am not advocating one size or the other. I was just trying to illustrate the physics that may explain the performance characteristics that some members are experiencing in their cars. In practice, I suspect that the differences between 2.5" and 3" are slight with the stock turbo.

Bob