GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R crate engine

MarkNH

Hello all,

I'm looking to replace the engine in my 2012 Golf R. Any recommendations on a good crate engine?

Thanks

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Hello all,

I'm looking to replace the engine in my 2012 Golf R. Any recommendations on a good crate engine?

Thanks
Unlike replacing a Chevy 350 which has been around for decacdes and is still being produced for the aftermarket, the CRZA motor has been out of production for a decade. Finding an actual factory CRZA "ready to run crate motor'" not a thing. You might find a longblock but will pay nearly 10 grand for it and it will not include manifolds, sensors or turbo. Best thing to do is just rebuild your current motor if not FUBAR'd.

MarkNH

Unlike replacing a Chevy 350 which has been around for decacdes and is still being produced for the aftermarket, the CRZA motor has been out of production for a decade. Finding an actual factory CRZA "ready to run crate motor'" not a thing. You might find a longblock but will pay nearly 10 grand for it and it will not include manifolds, sensors or turbo. Best thing to do is just rebuild your current motor if not FUBAR'd.
That makes a lot of sense. Thank you.

This is Ryans face

Not sure if...
The important part here is knowing what exactly you want from your car. Is your current motor fucked? Are you looking for more performance and money isn't really an issue?

If performance, 100% HPA VR6T.
If on a budget and repair is a necessity, then you can try a rebuild, but the EA888 is a PITA. I don't think I'd bother with a rebuild myself.

MarkNH

The important part here is knowing what exactly you want from your car. Is your current motor fucked? Are you looking for more performance and money isn't really an issue?

If performance, 100% HPA VR6T.
If on a budget and repair is a necessity, then you can try a rebuild, but the EA888 is a PITA. I don't think I'd bother with a rebuild myself.
Appreciate the advice. I've looked at the HPA engine and asked for more information, but I can't find how much it actually is. Any ideas? Thanks.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Appreciate the advice. I've looked at the HPA engine and asked for more information, but I can't find how much it actually is. Any
Cost will be astronomical. I have had a 2.0 motor built for me and cost was under 10
k without turbo. Doing a 3.6 swap includes buying used motor, having it built then buying twin turbo setup then custom fueling, exhaust, piping and on and on. Then upgrading drivetrain to handle torque, and it doesn’t stop there. This can easily turn into a 50k or more project. So much custom so much labor.

And hopefully you live where emissions laws wouldn’t prevent you from driving it on the street.

I would just buy a used 911 instead.

This is Ryans face

Not sure if...
Appreciate the advice. I've looked at the HPA engine and asked for more information, but I can't find how much it actually is. Any ideas? Thanks.
HPA Sometimes rolls their install and cost into one lump sum. That said, I know the engine setup itself is around $9-10k which isn't too far of a shot from getting a refurbed EA888 from the dealer along with all the gaskets, etc. Install would be something you'd have to consider. I'm sure they'd ship but it might be better to transport the car to their shop and have them set everything up. I imagine parts and install would set you back about $15k-20k but again, it's tough to say.
Here's the pricing I found for the crate setup. The engine itself is VAG so it should be easy to convert the ECU to read it properly.

EDIT: this is the 3.6: https://www.speeddensitymotorsports...0hp-crate-engine-forged-internals-blueprinted

HPA is making a 2.5L VR6T but it looks like they're shipping them in cars and not solo just yet. Also looks like it hasn't hit any sort of sale point for crate production.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
HPA Sometimes rolls their install and cost into one lump sum. That said, I know the engine setup itself is around $9-10k which isn't too far of a shot from getting a refurbed EA888 from the dealer along with all the gaskets, etc. Install would be something you'd have to consider. I'm sure they'd ship but it might be better to transport the car to their shop and have them set everything up. I imagine parts and install would set you back about $15k-20k but again, it's tough to say.
Here's the pricing I found for the crate setup. The engine itself is VAG so it should be easy to convert the ECU to read it properly.

EDIT: this is the 3.6: https://www.speeddensitymotorsports...0hp-crate-engine-forged-internals-blueprinted

HPA is making a 2.5L VR6T but it looks like they're shipping them in cars and not solo just yet. Also looks like it hasn't hit any sort of sale point for crate production.
Agree
Longblock like the built 3.2 you list - 10K+
Turbo (2) kit will be 10K +
Custom tuning - 2-3k
Support parts (intercooler,manif,intake, exhaust and custom plumbing) 5k+

That gets you to 28k or so, add another 15-20k for the install and add another 10% for the unexpected and you are near 50k before touching trans, driveline, brakes, suspension or wheels and tires.

Probably way off target from what OP wanted to hear. Engine swaps on this platform just not practical. Unless the rest of your car is otherwise in very good condition I suggest getting a new car when your motor gets tired. So expensive to rebuild these. I spent 30K+ building my MKV GTI into a 480whp example.

This is Ryans face

Not sure if...
Agree
Longblock like the built 3.2 you list - 10K+
Turbo (2) kit will be 10K +
Custom tuning - 2-3k
Support parts (intercooler,manif,intake, exhaust and custom plumbing) 5k+

That gets you to 28k or so, add another 15-20k for the install and add another 10% for the unexpected and you are near 50k before touching trans, driveline, brakes, suspension or wheels and tires.

Probably way off target from what OP wanted to hear. Engine swaps on this platform just not practical. Unless the rest of your car is otherwise in very good condition I suggest getting a new car when your motor gets tired. So expensive to rebuild these. I spent 30K+ building my MKV GTI into a 480whp example.
Yeah it's a pricey venture when you could doubleback to a MKV platform R32 and just turbo and facelift that block. It's not exactly a longshot from the Golf R in aesthetics anyway.

There's a shop near me called 305Vdubs and they do VR6T swaps on some of the MK7 Golf Rs here, as well as other platforms. One of the more popular shops in south Fla that does excellent work at respectable prices for sure.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Yeah it's a pricey venture when you could doubleback to a MKV platform R32 and just turbo and facelift that block. It's not exactly a longshot from the Golf R in aesthetics anyway.

There's a shop near me called 305Vdubs and they do VR6T swaps on some of the MK7 Golf Rs here, as well as other platforms. One of the more popular shops in south Fla that does excellent work at respectable prices for sure.
R32 would be same expense

fatvdub

Passed Driver's Ed
This could be true. I had my CRZA long block for my 2012 R replaced with a factory one 3 years ago. I seen the motor before they put it in. Brand new from Germany motor alone was $5500? They are out there. Not sure where they got it but it was brand new. keep your hopes up

demon342

Ready to race!
07k swap it!