GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Got A Good Deal (Maybe) On Some OZ Ultraleggeras But Are They Worth Saving?

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
stumbled across a really good deal (or so i thought) for some oz ultraleggeras

tires are shot and they are in rough shape
but since i had driven almost an hour to go get them i decided just to buy them anyway

when i got them home i discovered that one has a small crack on the inner barrel

i may refinish them or i may not and just try to sell them for what i paid for them

i think all of them have some pretty good rash and one has some chunks taken out of it...i dunno though i really just went and picked them up and then threw them in the corner of my garage lol

im going to clean them up tomorrow and see how i feel

thoughts?

also if i do decide to keep them does anyone know what size wheel bolts and hub rings i need to get?

i plan on trying to do some searching myslef but just figured id ask since we're here.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I think they are most likely refinishable, yes. But take them to a shop to see for sure. The only really "bad" thing imho, is that crack. Everything is probably easy for a wheel shop to do.

Hub rings and bolts - call tire rack, probably run about $75-$100 all said and done.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
oh yeah and i would probably plasti dip them gold

i have repaired a crack in a set of gramlights that i had on my rx8 so i know it could be done...but is there a way to fix missing chunks? lol

zrickety

The Fixer
Rings and bolts are $70 shipped from discounttiredirect. Definitely can be repaired by the right shop. I would keep them if they are 5x112. I wouldn't run wobble bolts but that's me.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
yeah they are 5x112
18x8et45 i believe

i am not a fan of black wheels but im almost thinking that if i re-did them black that would help them look a littler better since it will blend in with the tire a bit more

i realize how cheap im being...but i find it hard to justify buying wheels that are $1000 plus right now

after having to part out the car once and then getting it back later stock is killing me even though im very happy to have it back

im thinking as long as i get the crack repaired, and despite the blemishes, it would still be a decent wheel especially since i have never been a fan of the detroits and when i got my car back all of them were curbed lol

id rather have curbed OZ's then curbed detroits haha is this sound logic?

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Rings and bolts are $70 shipped from discounttiredirect. Definitely can be repaired by the right shop. I would keep them if they are 5x112. I wouldn't run wobble bolts but that's me.

do you have a link for the bolts and rings?

just curious because i have not found sizes...but i also have not really had a chance to look for them myself yet...

zrickety

The Fixer
You have to call them and talk on the phone...can't be done on the website.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
ok well i will look into that thanks!

im going to take the tires off tomorrow and clean them up and assess the damage and make some calls

i am really just most concerned about getting the crack welded up

most of the curb rash is not that bad i suppose and with a little sanding and a few coats of plastidip im thinking they will turn out ok...

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
yeah definitely

im going to pop off the tire and see how far back it goes onto the barrel

i cant even tell if it holds air right now because the tire on that wheel has a hole on the inner sidewall :/

but like i said a few posts up i have (well have paid to) have someone fix a crack and it worked out fine

never had an issue and the wheel balanced out fine

not the best photoshop but this would be my plan for them

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
Makes me cringe that people treat their wheels like this. Take to a reputable wheel/tire shop and see what they can do about the crack. Hell for the price you paid I would get them all refinished and they will probably come out 90% new looking.

Good luck with them, I love mine.