GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI Hopeful.

GTI_Hopeful

I am looking at buying a 2010 - 2012 GTI.

I am just curious about the life expectancy of these cars as I have been looking in the $12,000 - $15,500 range. Realistically for my price range most of the cars will be closer to 100,000 KMs, although I have seen a couple around the 60,000 to 80,000 mark as well.

My main question would be, how reliable are GTI's after 100,000kms? Will I be in the garage ever other month with another problem? Obviously this is dependent on the previous owners service and care for the car.

Any feedback will help! :thumbup:

Thanks!

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion

.... add another big one (doesn't happen much but it happens) - Rear Main Seal (RMS) when the Air Oil Separator (PCV) diaphragm fails.
- PCV Diaphragm tears, cheap alternative made by Dorman
- Heavy Oil consumption compared to other cars
- leaking oil on water pump causes it to fail

Last edited:

sweetgti

Ready to race!
Had my 2010 GTI since new, and now at 170k, it still puts a huge smile on my face whenever boost kicks in.

Haven't had too many headaches with it except 2... and a half:
-fuel injectors and intake manifold replaced at 50k - warranty
-TOB and clutch assy. replaced at 110k - warranty (long story)
-and for the half, carbon cleaning at 120k and coil-packs.

Other than that, she's been pretty good, so far. That being said, I do keep up on maintenance. Maintenance is the key. If it's been kept up, the car *should* be fine.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
I bought my '11 GTI in Feb'13 with 32K on it and went Stage 1 at 33K... after a coil pack or two went I went red tops and updated the sparkies... the hatch VW thingy needed replacing under warranty had the clutch/TOB replaced under TSB before i hit 60K, my fog light relay went to shite and the tech said it was due to the fact i was using yellow bulbs that were hotter than stock (gotta be kidding right?)) intake has been done 3x under warranty as was my ebrake cable and that's about it really.
I upgraded the tensioner to latest one at 110K.

Aside from reg oil changes @ 10k, replaced pads & rotors, brake fluid I'm at 247K and just humming along merrily.. so ya... I'm happy!!

I've decided next year if everything is still rocking I'm going K04!! Not sure if i'll keep the APR tune though....hmmmm

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
Had my 2010 GTI since new, carbon cleaning at 120k and coil-packs.

...... That being said, I do keep up on maintenance. Maintenance is the key. If it's been kept up, the car *should* be fine.
:happyanim::happyanim:

Where did you get your carbon cleaning done and how much? thanks!

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
Make sure it doesn't burn a drop of oil.

all turbo's by their very nature will have minimal oil loss... what needs to be monitored is big losses. If you're losing a liter or more at your oil changes...check your pcv ...hopefully not the rings or oil lines on the turbo

Nodnarb

Passed Driver's Ed
I’ve been lucky. Zero issues. The only thing I’d want to know is if and when then timing chain/tensioner was done. Because if it fails, you will need a new engine. Otherwise, everything else is small relatively inexpensive shit. My car is heavily modded and beaten to death and not even one engine light.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
But seriously... no one has had carbon cleaning done on their GTI? Am I asking about a Unicorn or what??

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
You can ask Mario at K&H Radiators at St Clair & Kennedy.
Hey thanks! I've heard about that spot. Cheers to the weekend!!

sweetgti

Ready to race!
:happyanim::happyanim:

Where did you get your carbon cleaning done and how much? thanks!

Hey. Sorry for the late reply. I've had mine done at Dixie VW. Yes, a delaer, I know :yikes:. However, the SA working there at the time was awesome, and helped me out with a bunch of things so I really trusted him. I think I paid around $450-$500 all in. But this was 4 years ago and that SA is no longer there. So I also recommend Mario at K&H. Great guy. Real VW knowledge there.