GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI MK6: Leather or Cloth?

HyeWarrior

Banned
That red looks fantastic :drool:

I don't think I'll be able to decide until the day I actually go to the dealer. Whichever one has the options I want will be the one I go with :thumbsup:

GTI-guy

These wheels?

Hey guys does anyone know what are these wheels? I mean what brand coz i can't find them anywhere.

(The silver ones on the red GTI)

My2ndGTI

Ready to race!
I ordered mine with the leather. I pick the car up next week. I thought long and hard about cloth versus leather. I hope I made the right choice.

Years ago I was buying a Corrado VR6. I took my girlfriend with me for the test drive. The test drive was in a car with leather. She seemed so impressed, so I got the leather. Mistake! The cloth seats were Recaro. The leathers were not as suppoortive. I used to take the car on the track and I slid around in the seat so much my back hurt after a couple hours.

Well I married that girlfriend and I bought my 2nd GTI with our son in mind. He will get his learner's permit this summer so I wanted a car he could drive. This one is certainly nicer than my first GTI (I think it was a 1984).

Looking forward to picking it up next week.

Alex.

Ready to race!
My leather is getting all wrinkly... take that into account. I got my car in October, and I am not a heavy person.

VWVic

Passed Driver's Ed
I know there was a lot of talk regarding the bolsters, and I have to say I sat in a pair of GTIs before I bought mine- one cloth, one leather. I honestly couldn't feel the difference between the bolsters. They both seemed equally supportive to me...

I have to say I would have bought the leather though if it had the red stitching...that was the key for me...

-V

Geofux

Ready to race!
I much prefer the look and feel of the cloth. I've seen the leather when warm, cold, etc. Sat in the leather seats and they do tend to wrinkle up a bit. Not gonna lie, I would probably never go for the leather. I had a 1990 Jag XJ6 that had leather in it, that was amazing leather... any other type of leather just doesn't seem 'right'.

Cybe

GolfMK5 Graduate
Consider the leather if you smoke or have pets.. The cloth weave is a hair magnet. My MKV was leather, and the seats were very nice, but I opted for cloth on the MKVI. Still a nice seat, but I would've gone with leather if the price was right. It wasn't.

Marvin

Ready to race!
I detest leather seats in the house and especially when in a car. They are supposed to be synonymous with 'quality' but I have never understood that although I realise some of the upper market cars such as Jaguars, BMWs and Mercedes to name but a few are nearly always specified with leather. Maybe the types of owners who buy these cars prefer to see leather seats and expect a higher resale value.
Personally, I have never specified them in a car even if they were to be provided as a no-cost option. In many cases, they crease and 'puddle' easily and are hot and sweaty in the summer months and cold and clammy in winter - yuk, yuk, yuk.
However, it's only my own personal opinion.

Basil_Fawlty

Ready to race!
I love my Leather seats, and my leather couch, and leather boots for that matter. The last 3 vehicles as daily drivers I've had over the last 15 years have had leather interiors and I love it. I think they are easier to take care of, and more comfortable. I just got a large dog, and have no concerns about scratch marks, its quality stuff they used.

Basil_Fawlty

Ready to race!
My leather is getting all wrinkly... take that into account. I got my car in October, and I am not a heavy person.

What do you do to maintain it and how often? Products used to clean and condition??

Marvin

Ready to race!
I love my Leather seats, and my leather couch, and leather boots for that matter. The last 3 vehicles as daily drivers I've had over the last 15 years have had leather interiors and I love it. I think they are easier to take care of, and more comfortable. I just got a large dog, and have no concerns about scratch marks, its quality stuff they used.

Ah well, chacun a son gout

aronius

I don't have a problem with cloth seats and for the $ I would probably get them in the GTI. The pattern though.....I just can't get past it. I'll be going with leather in my GTI

Basil_Fawlty

Ready to race!
I don't have a problem with cloth seats and for the $ I would probably get them in the GTI. The pattern though.....I just can't get past it. I'll be going with leather in my GTI

I don't have a problem with cloth or MB-Tex, etc, either, I just prefer Leather, and if I can afford it and its available, I'll take it over vynil or cloth. Thats me, I was built for comfort, my fat ass can attest to that.

roadking26

Passed Driver's Ed
My MkVI has the Interlagos (cloth) covered seats -- with heaters. It's a matter of taste, of course, but I like the Interlagos -- my MkII had them, too -- VW has been using this pattern since Day One. I like the look, the ease of maintenance over leather (IMHO), the material is top notch, fits smoothly, etc., and it has the seat heaters that make it the best of both worlds. The bolstering is very good, too -- not too obtrusive, good support, and comfortable. I did a 600-mile trip a few weeks ago and the seat proved to be comfortable all day.