GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Honda and Acura's Lineup in the Years Coming

Merkle

Banned
"Honda used to be awesome"
"Back in the day....."
"Honda in the 90s......"

They didn't even have that reputation until the 2000's.

It just seems like they are missing the mark sometimes. Take the CRZ for example, I think they would have sold much better with a gas only engine rather than a hybrid. I understand what they were trying to do, but, it wasn't what the public wanted. It's those neat little ideas like that that people want.

Also, this is through no fault of their own, the image of Honda has been tarnished slightly due to the large amount of "ricers" Honda got associated with that image in the early 2000's. It's faded a bit over the years as the EK's slowly die off but it's still a stigma they'll have to wait out.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
This is why I have a hard time taking most people seriously when they talk about cars. Quite the driver's experience compared to what, an Escalade?

4300 lb FWD platform truck with 290 hp. Nose-dive, plow and roll into corner and accelerate at cozy afternoon tea speeds out of corner? Sounds like an experience alright. :thumbsup:

Have you driven one? Have you driven competitors?

From an Automotive engineering standpoint, you don't compare every car to a racecar. I've driven a serious allottment of vehicles. Tons. (100+) You develop key dynamics to understand the vehicle as a system and not just a statistic. One key development you learn is that what you read and see in magazines must be thrown out and never again idealized as the proper "evaluation" for a vehicle. Hence why test drives are very much condoned for any vehicle.

Whenever I see comment's like yours, I merely counter and say, have you driven this vehicle? Have you developed this vehicle from the ground up? Have you designed parts for this vehicle and tested them dynamically? Have you driven this vehicle on an appropriate track with tuning abilities fed back to the designer? Have you truly experienced this car's "LIMIT" instead of theorizing its SUV existence?

I'm not singling you out and I apologize if done so. But I just don't believe in any sense that a statement so subjectively thrown out there without any knowledge of the "system" is warranting ill fated charm.

I DO know what I'm talking about and the other 200+ engineers agree with me as well.

Chef_R_Gamie

Ready to race!
They didn't even have that reputation until the 2000's.

It just seems like they are missing the mark sometimes. Take the CRZ for example, I think they would have sold much better with a gas only engine rather than a hybrid. I understand what they were trying to do, but, it wasn't what the public wanted. It's those neat little ideas like that that people want.

Also, this is through no fault of their own, the image of Honda has been tarnished slightly due to the large amount of "ricers" Honda got associated with that image in the early 2000's. It's faded a bit over the years as the EK's slowly die off but it's still a stigma they'll have to wait out.

You are completely wrong that reputation was fully there in the 90's I owned 3 preludes 92,97 and 99 and my close friend had I believe a 96 civic SIR , these cars , all the best civics came out of the 90's , your whole statement is annoying

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
Have you driven one? Have you driven competitors?

Competitors are irrelevant unless you're qualifying all of your statements with "compared to its competitors" (Q5 I guess?).

It might be quite the driver's experience for a big nose-heavy FWD-ish truck but I think that praise is way too high if you leave out the qualifier.

If an MDX is quite the driver's experience, then the V6 Accord is ballistic, the Civic Type R is mach 2 with your hair on fire, and the NSX is trans-warp speed on Jesus mode.

You're not leaving any room for a spectrum if you place the MDX up that high.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
I think its fair. With the NSX dying down in early 2000s and the S2000 Picking back up, that could definitely keep the pace.

Merkle

Banned
You are completely wrong that reputation was fully there in the 90's I owned 3 preludes 92,97 and 99 and my close friend had I believe a 96 civic SIR , these cars , all the best civics came out of the 90's , your whole statement is annoying

Woah now, it's cool man. Things move a lot slower here in Louisiana than they do in California. The tuner scene didn't take off here until much later.

mkvince

Go Kart Champion
What happened to Type S? I wish they bring it back and pay more attention to car enthusiasts. Looks like Honda is focusing on the general consumers for their Acura line ups.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Competitors are irrelevant unless you're qualifying all of your statements with "compared to its competitors" (Q5 I guess?).

It might be quite the driver's experience for a big nose-heavy FWD-ish truck but I think that praise is way too high if you leave out the qualifier.

If an MDX is quite the driver's experience, then the V6 Accord is ballistic, the Civic Type R is mach 2 with your hair on fire, and the NSX is trans-warp speed on Jesus mode.

You're not leaving any room for a spectrum if you place the MDX up that high.

I see your point. However, I wasn't making that statement out of jest, but I was generalizing it. It drives better than some sedans I've driven, REGARDLESS of the fact its a 4300lb vehicle. I mean, 0-60 in mid 6s you can't argue that AS A SYSTEM it delivers. Seriously, I'd pick it over many vehicle, even outside of its class. I've taken some extreme turns on the track at around 100mph and it feels stable and solid. There is a little roll, but to your satisfaction....."It is still a 4300lb Luxury SUV"

As for the Type R and NSX comment, I would probably say the same thing. I'd probably comment to say its FASTER or different roll dynamics that might give a better aspect of what its truly designed for, but nevertheless.

Plus, I'm not putting any vehicle on a Heirarchy. I'm saying that the MDX will surprise people and will deliver a very nice experience to satisfy both men and women's needs, comfort and enthusiast needs.

However, I'm just getting the feeling you want to debate for the sake of.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
What happened to Type S? I wish they bring it back and pay more attention to car enthusiasts. Looks like Honda is focusing on the general consumers for their Acura line ups.

Wouldn't you? Its what every OEM does. 95% of all sales are non-enthusiasts.

Chef_R_Gamie

Ready to race!
Woah now, it's cool man. Things move a lot slower here in Louisiana than they do in California. The tuner scene didn't take off here until much later.

I'm not mad or anything it's just a car forum and people having conversations about all types of shit ... But really that's a horrible excuse ... "The tuner scene didn't take off until much later "?? Wtf ... Honda made their best cars in the 90's that's when they were a major innovator in the game ... Even the s2000 came out in 2000 but was imagined, invented and engineered in the 90's by the some of the same people who had a part of developing the civics, preludes and accords of that era , I'm assuming you're very young and really don't know anything about Honda's from the 90's , but you're a mod??? Wow

Haha and your reason you didnt know much anout the cars was because the tuner scene didnt take off until later?? all of my hondas were stock for the most part I wasn't even talking abou the tuner scene they were just good cars , everyone knows Hondas were great in the 90, except for you that is

Last edited:

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
I'm not mad or anything it's just a car forum and people having conversations about all types of shit ... But really that's a horrible excuse ... "The tuner scene didn't take off until much later "?? Wtf ... Honda made their best cars in the 90's that's when they were a major innovator in the game ... Even the s2000 came out in 2000 but was imagined, invented and engineered in the 90's by the some of the same people who had a part of developing the civics, preludes and accords of that era , I'm assuming you're very young and really don't know anything about Honda's from the 90's , but you're a mod??? Wow

This has nothing to do with the weight of the conversation and is condescending. Please let's keep this conversation clean.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
I see your point. However, I wasn't making that statement out of jest, but I was generalizing it. It drives better than some sedans I've driven, REGARDLESS of the fact its a 4300lb vehicle. I mean, 0-60 in mid 6s you can't argue that AS A SYSTEM it delivers. Seriously, I'd pick it over many vehicle, even outside of its class. I've taken some extreme turns on the track at around 100mph and it feels stable and solid. There is a little roll, but to your satisfaction....."It is still a 4300lb Luxury SUV"

As for the Type R and NSX comment, I would probably say the same thing. I'd probably comment to say its FASTER or different roll dynamics that might give a better aspect of what its truly designed for, but nevertheless.

Plus, I'm not putting any vehicle on a Heirarchy. I'm saying that the MDX will surprise people and will deliver a very nice experience to satisfy both men and women's needs, comfort and enthusiast needs.

However, I'm just getting the feeling you want to debate for the sake of.

Nah I'm just annoyed that nobody is making a car that I want to buy any more and people keep suggesting that I should be happy with something like an MDX or (S)Q5 as a successor to a manual S4 Avant. These trucks share 4 things in common with my car: cargo space, horsepower, interior quality, and price. Driving experience is not even remotely similar. I would never consider any of them as dual duty street/track cars. Even the X5M sucks to drive, I did a lap in one at Watkins Glen last year.

Merkle

Banned
I'm assuming you're very young and really don't know anything about Honda's from the 90's

Haha and your reason you didnt know much anout the cars was because the tuner scene didnt take off until later?? all of my hondas were stock for the most part I wasn't even talking abou the tuner scene they were just good cars , everyone knows Hondas were great in the 90, except for you that is

I was born in 85' so my memory of the 90's is not as clear as yours. My interpretation and memory may not coincide with yours. A difference of opinion that's all. That being said, the slanderous and argumentative nature of your posts needs to stop.

Sorry Z, for hi-jacking the thread.

Merkle

Banned
Nah I'm just annoyed that nobody is making a car that I want to buy any more and people keep suggesting that I should be happy with something like an MDX or (S)Q5 as a successor to a manual S4 Avant. These trucks share 4 things in common with my car: cargo space, horsepower, interior quality, and price. Driving experience is not even remotely similar. I would never consider any of them as dual duty street/track cars. Even the X5M sucks to drive, I did a lap in one at Watkins Glen last year.

Just out of curiosity what features would you be looking for in a vehicle and furthermore are there any out there that closely match what you want?

Chef_R_Gamie

Ready to race!

I was born in 85' so my memory of the 90's is not as clear as yours. My interpretation and memory may not coincide with yours. A difference of opinion that's all. That being said, the slanderous and argumentative nature of your posts needs to stop.

Sorry Z, for hi-jacking the thread.
I'm not even trying to be a jerk but look you even circled that you had a 96 civic which was a great year for those cars and I was born in 82only 3 years off ....you're just contradicting yourself a lot that's all.... I was too young... But I owned a 96 civic..... I live in LA where the scene took off late ... but I'm a mod .....I was too young.... You're 28...I don't even care anymore I was reading this post because I was genuinely interested in the topic and then I see a mod who has no clue of what they're talking about.... I'm done now