GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How many street miles before running an autocross?

enobiko

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 SE 6 MT
I just got a set of Michelin PS 4 S tires, and there is a non-points autocross (SCCA Solo) this weekend. The weather will be in the 60's, and rainy or damp. Should I just wait until the next Points event?
I don't know if there is a bed-in period (like brake pads).

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Nope. Go have fun. I would probably drive them a good hour before hand and then let them cool. At least to get the greasy layer off

2LEEGIT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI MK7
New tires need break-in, I usually drive them moderately 80-100mi on the freeway and let cool over night before "full send".

Before you hit the gas to see what those new tires can do, there’s something you should know: just like a new pair of shoes, new tires need to go through a breaking-in period before they can drive at their best.

Lubricants. During manufacturing, a release lubricant is used to help remove tires from their molds. This substance remains on the tread until it wears off on the road. Before it has completely worn off, it could reduce your traction.
Antioxidants. These are applied to help keep the tire rubber from breaking down when exposed to environmental factors such as fluctuating temperatures and oxygen. They may make tires feel slick at first.
Tread depth. New tires will naturally feature maximum tread depth. This fresh tread is stiff, smooth, deep, and could feel like unyielding, thick cushioning between you and the road at first. This may lead to something called squirm.

https://www.tirerack.com/upgrade-garage/how-do-i-break-in-tires

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Many 200TW tires kinda suck for their first event. They need a GOOD heat cycle and rest to really start working well.

Aggressive (but not sliding) figure 8s in a parking lot until the tires are HOT helps if you have time to do so, otherwise just don’t overdrive the first few autocross runs and it’ll be fine.

I don’t think the Michelins will have that issue FWIW. V730s and RT660s absolutely suck the very first event. RE71RS get better after the first one but it’s much less noticeable IMO.