GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How old were you when you considered a GTI, and then again when you purchased it?

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
a/s/l?

PrayforMojo

Go Kart Champion
My buddy had a Mk4 at 18 that was pretty cool. Another had a VR6 that was relatively fast for the time. We bought ours at 27, seemed like the best bang for the buck.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I think I first noticed them at about 18, back in the day.

I saw more of them around the time I was probably 21. And saw the Jetta in Fast & Furious back then. The first one. Because I am old.

Around 25, I considered actually buying one.

At 26, I bought one. A DSG model.

I think somewhere around 27 yrs old, I saw the MKIV R32 and thought, "hey,that is kind of cool... but not $28,000 cool", so I never thought about it again.

Again at 29, I was looking at getting back into GTI after having a few more cars in the interim. Wanted stick this time, was about 29.5 years old at this juncture.

The R was not going to debut here for at least another year or two around that time, so I went with the GTI Autobahn with MT. I was 30 years old at that point, plus a few months. So.. 30, for both the GTI AND the transmission.

Now at 34.8/10th's. I would like a Golf R MT, but not sure I'd want to wait that long, or spend so much on a turbo yaris, esp with my current modded car, that i've owned since I was exactly 32, as I purchased it on my birthday. I really like it a lot how it is now, at this current age for me.

shdwblugti

Go Kart Champion
I wanted a MKIV .:R32 in high school, but reality set in when I saw the price :laugh:
Purchased my mk6 when I was 25

hvltg

Ready to race!
fell in love with mk2's in the early 90's.. got a purple mk3 vr6 in 98.. i think i was 20

Aqualung

Passed Driver's Ed
Wanted one in '82, taken in by the "Wolf in Sheep's Clothing" advertising...but it had 2-doors and my (sales) job required a 4-door car. Finally bought one last year after too many minivans and Volvos...and a MINI Cooper S/JCW in between.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I first really thought about a GTI when i was 19 and i bought one when i was 20(later almost towards 21)

RGTI13

Go Kart Champion
I first started noticing the GTI's when I was in the "Scion" scene with my boosted XB. This was when I was 19.

After getting rid of that car and purchasing an older Jaguar (NONE of you know about electrical gremlins unless you own a Jaguar) I decided to shop for a new car.

Took about a year, NEVER drove a VW before and actually forgot about them. My friend told me to test drive a CC, but I ended up walking out with a GTI. Purchased it last year, I am 22.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
19, and then I bought it a few days later.

I didn't really know anything about them and it wasn't the type of car I was looking at. Then I found a matchstick vr6 gti with tan leather interior and stick shift on autotrader for $10.5k, and I fell in love. I put about 80k miles on it over 6 years and thanks to vortex I did a ton of mods to it that I would have never attempted without those DIYs. I even upgraded the camshafts myself.

I owned it til I hated it and traded it in on a mk6 gti.

I've owned 3 cars and 2 of them were GTIs, the other was an 01 hyundai tiburon. By the end of my mk4 I hated it so much I told myself I wasn't gonna get into another one and look what happened lol

So I've gone from a mk4 vr6 to a mk6 2.0t, chances are I'll end up in something like an mk8 R next.

Desertnate

Passed Driver's Ed
I came to like GTI's when I was 15 and saw the brand new Mk2 GTI at an auto show with my dad. I picked up my first one 26 years later.

phant0m

Ready to race!
Wanted one since i was 16. Bought myself a nice mk6 GTI back in August (at 21 years old). Helps that I worked since I turned 14... was able to buy the GTI and get some fun mods going. Already went Stage 1, upgraded coils/plugs, Magnaflow catback, front and rear sway bars, Motegi wheels and a bunch of other fun stuff. I love my mk6 :D