GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Interesting Review on the ST. GTI competition!

Shini

Go Kart Champion
That auto braking/adjusting to stay in a lane thing is pretty cool. If it only comes in a 4 door version that stinks...For 25k base I wonder what creature features it'll even have compared to the GTI

NOLA-Ron

Go Kart Champion
I'll be test driving one when they hit the lots, but I doubt it will be nice enough to sway me from the GTIgoodness.

Give Ford a few more years though and I might would reconsider. Hell, give Hyundai a few more years and I could be on their lots too. Doubt it though. See myself in an Audi A5/S4 or BMW 335i next.

corrado917

Go Kart Champion
The car is very nice, somehow this is what a MSP3 2nd Gen. should be in first place. However in comparison, our GTi doesn't lack of anything, it is just getting older(let's face it). I hope we can see a better match with the MKVII hopefully with lots of gadgetry as the ST
I'm Glad Ford brought finally this ST and eventually the RS.
I like to test drive it.(Now you know who you fight with)

P.S:I love my GTi & so far no better sequential gearbox than the DSG.

fr4c

Ready to race!
Jalopnik said:
And to help make sure you hear that rumble of excitement coming from under the hood, the Focus ST is equipped with a sound symposer box. It’s designed to enrich the natural sounds of the vehicle by capturing internal engine oscillations and piping them through the interior.

:thumbdown:

SwiftGTI

Go Kart Champion
I bet the Focus ST would be fun to drive, but honestly I can't see myself trading in my GTI for one. The GTI has got a lot of character inside and out, and it's great as a DD. I could see the Focus ST as a second car, but then I'd rather have an FR-S or Mustang GT.

CFG9000

Ready to race!
I can appreciate its performance, but the whole package just screams "trying too hard". It's very vulgar-looking compared to the restrained and sophisticated look of the GTI. Not as butt-ugly as the Veloster Turbo, but still ugly.

usefulidiot

Go Kart Champion
Agreed....I like the refinement of Golf. The Focus looks like a 17 year old wearing too much make up and her older sisters clothes trying to get into the bar. No real identity of its own.

andylaiphoto

Go Kart Champion
What the GTI has over the ST is a strong culture and aftermarket. You can go in various directions with mods fairly easy. Even with the ST being as great as it potentially is it will take years for it's aftermarket to build up in the states. Not that Ford doesn't have a strong aftermarket, it's just been predominantly Mustang and F150 catered.

The Focus SVT was a nice hatch too but it never really caught fire.

Jcap287

Go Kart Champion
What the GTI has over the ST is a strong culture and aftermarket. You can go in various directions with mods fairly easy. Even with the ST being as great as it potentially is it will take years for it's aftermarket to build up in the states. Not that Ford doesn't have a strong aftermarket, it's just been predominantly Mustang and F150 catered.

The Focus SVT was a nice hatch too but it never really caught fire.

I bet this will catch on though. I mean look how quick the aftermarket came along for the SRT-4

rs999

Go Kart Champion
I'm glad I went GTI instead of waiting for the ST. GTI + K04 is a much better and cheaper car.

CFG9000

Ready to race!
I was considering a Fusion Titanium with all that adaptive cruise/lane-keeping/alert tech stuff at one point and then realized that I'd never use any of them. I just don't trust stuff like that to anything but my own control.

By going with the GTI, those thousands that would've gone towards unused electronics went to good old-fashioned refinement and quality. And I still came out $4k/5k better off.