GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Just REVO'd my 2011 GTI

Chris@Revo USA

Go Kart Champion
I REVO'd my 2011 GTI today too and I feel a difference but it doesn't feel that great. I was expecting a really dig difference. I called a few of my friends and all of them said to give the ECU 5 hours of driving time to adapt and I should see a huge improvement.
Like on thing is noticed was the tires wouldn't even screech of a 20 roll :( I thought with all that torque that it would be crazy

The gains are instant. The adaptation thing is really from back in the day with dumber ecus and normally aspirated engines. There will always be some adaptation even a bone stock car adapts every time you clear codes but 99.9% of the gains will be there immediately.

There may be something up with your car such as a failed dv, charge pipe leak or even a PCV issue. Your best bet is to find someone with VCDS or head back to your dealer so that they can do some logs with your car to see what is going on.

Generally there isn't much of an issue with gas applications but upon releasing our 2.0 tdi software over a year go we realized that lots of people weren't driving the cars right. Yes I know that sort of sounds like an excuse but isn't. If you look at the dyno charts while there are gains at 6K rpm the meat of the improvement is throughout the lower and middle parts of the power band. Up top no matter what you or anyone else tries to do the turbo is just too small and power falls off. If you are winding it out the gears to 7,00 rpm you'll end up at the end of the power band once you get into say 3rd or 4th and no you really won't feel much because the car isn't making power there. Shift at 6,000-6,500 rpm and you'll end up right back in the meat of the power band. Many of our TDI customers were coming from gas engines so they were thinking flash the car I get more power but it was still within the limits of that engine, they were trying to shift past 4K rpm so you would end up in the next gear after the power had fallen off and feel nothing. Tell them to drive it like a diesel and they would call back ecstatic.

Trainwreck

Ready to race!
Chris... nice point on the TDI tune. I am glad you pointed that out. Different driving style. I actually came from a TDI and now in a GTI. There is an adjustment for sure.

Chris@Revo USA

Go Kart Champion
Chris... nice point on the TDI tune. I am glad you pointed that out. Different driving style. I actually came from a TDI and now in a GTI. There is an adjustment for sure.

I was the first victim of driving the 2.0 tdis like a gasser :)

Had a car for some testing, showing great gains on the dyno but I couldn't feel a thing. Speak to one of the engineers and he says something about me not driving my A3 that revs to 8grand I need to drive it like a diesel. Went back out shifting at 3500-3800 rpm range and WOW what a difference.

I've got a Cummins in a Jeep wrangler so I know all about the power falling off but that truck just falls flat on its face when it defuels, the Tdis are a smoother taper so you don't feel it as much and you can get easily carried away trying to rev one out. The 2.0t FSI/TSI are the same they build up strong and then hold with a slow tapper, you are still accelerating so you think why not hold the gear but it can often be faster to actually shift and get back into the meat.

GPM

Ready to race!
Who you talking to? BSH?

I noticed you are located in Chandler. So am I. Nice Triumph by the way. We should try to get a bunch of GTI guys together for a met (or Triumph guys).

Nope, was talking to Jeremy at Volkwerks (I think they changed the name to EuroShop or something like that). He's been doing Revo tunes for quite a while and I believe he used to be a tech at Camelback VW.

I see you're also a Triumph guy. You sir seem to have excellent taste in vehicles.

DBGTI11

Ready to race!
The gains are instant. The adaptation thing is really from back in the day with dumber ecus and normally aspirated engines. There will always be some adaptation even a bone stock car adapts every time you clear codes but 99.9% of the gains will be there immediately.

There may be something up with your car such as a failed dv, charge pipe leak or even a PCV issue. Your best bet is to find someone with VCDS or head back to your dealer so that they can do some logs with your car to see what is going on.

Generally there isn't much of an issue with gas applications but upon releasing our 2.0 tdi software over a year go we realized that lots of people weren't driving the cars right. Yes I know that sort of sounds like an excuse but isn't. If you look at the dyno charts while there are gains at 6K rpm the meat of the improvement is throughout the lower and middle parts of the power band. Up top no matter what you or anyone else tries to do the turbo is just too small and power falls off. If you are winding it out the gears to 7,00 rpm you'll end up at the end of the power band once you get into say 3rd or 4th and no you really won't feel much because the car isn't making power there. Shift at 6,000-6,500 rpm and you'll end up right back in the meat of the power band. Many of our TDI customers were coming from gas engines so they were thinking flash the car I get more power but it was still within the limits of that engine, they were trying to shift past 4K rpm so you would end up in the next gear after the power had fallen off and feel nothing. Tell them to drive it like a diesel and they would call back ecstatic.

I'm also stage 2 if that makes an difference (carbonio intake and ATP down pipe)

I'm getting in my car now so I'll drive it some more and see how it goes

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor

I'll second that.

This "adaptation big power difference" stuff is mostly BS. Now some things like fuel trims will adapt either up or down if they are not spot on but this "night and day" difference stuff is kinda silly.

We are able do a dyno pull stock, flash the ECU to chipped and do another pull and show exactly what we advertise. No adaptation is needed.

Revo Kev

revotechnik.com
Hi All, just a quick note on adaptation... your cars will re-adapt once they've been reflashed in exactly the same way they would if you had the battery disconnected or were reflashed with a factory update at a dealership. As both Chris and Arin have said the gains from performance software will be felt straight away, but the ECU does adapt after flash because the ECU has essentially been reset!

1flymk6gti

Go Kart Champion
I am working on getting this tune in the next couple of weeks and i was wondering if there is a way you can change the tune with out the hand held part for another $200?

Chris@Revo USA

Go Kart Champion
I am working on getting this tune in the next couple of weeks and i was wondering if there is a way you can change the tune with out the hand held part for another $200?

If you mean some sort of free laptop application no.

But your Revo dealer can switch you back to stock for dealer visits, usually without charging anything but note it does take up their techs time so don't expect to show up and they drop everything to do it.

Or if you know anyone with an SPS Select plus, SPS Select or the current SPS would be able to switch your car.

Chris@Revo USA

Go Kart Champion
can we purchase it later on down the road instead of right away? im guessing that would be fine?

The SPS?

Yes it can be purchased at anytime, new, used, bartered for a goat you don't need.

If you buy one new you can sell it

If you sell your car and buy another car that you put Revo on it you can use it with that car.

If your friend has one you can use his, if you have one your friend can use yours.

There is no link between the SPS and the car it will work on any car with switchable Revo software.

Mike@Forge

Go Kart Champion
...it can be purchased at anytime, new, used, bartered for a goat you don't need.

If you buy one new you can sell it

If you sell your car and buy another car that you put Revo on it you can use it with that car.

If your friend has one you can use his, if you have one your friend can use yours.

There is no link between the SPS and the car it will work on any car with switchable Revo software.

Should be added to the SPS page on the Revo site! :p

Chris@Revo USA

Go Kart Champion
Should be added to the SPS page on the Revo site! :p

Unfortunately you can't have goats in this county, I checked when I bought my house a few months ago :). The office property is actually the county line, if only we were a few feet north we'd have no emissions and all the livestock we wanted!

zhamel0326

Ready to race!
I think I'm leaning towards REVO now. it's cheaper, the gains are basically the same as APR. and if I want to upgrade to stage 2, it's still cheaper. APR does come with more and it is closer, but money is the main option for me.

jp0319

Go Kart Champion
I am going toward revo as well. Money plays a part as does the fact that they can do it now. Chris has answered all of my questions / concerns and I feel having had no prior experience with either revo or Apr that I am going to give revo a shot.

JP